Tiny blisters on feet, hands and elbows

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Tiny blisters on feet, hands and elbows

It started on one foot, and now I have these tiny blisters on both feet, sometimes on both hands, and less frequently on both elbows.  They are either filled with pus or clear fluid, and itch terribly.  If the skin is broken, a deep hole is left in the skin below the skin covering the blister.  When it finally begins to heal the skin thickens, but doesn't seem to actually heal.  When the skin is not broken the blister darkens and becomes flat, but still takes a very long time to heal.  By then more blisters have formed.  Most often in linear clusters on the feet, but singly on the hands.

The problem has been ongoing for some time.  I've tried OTC anti-fungals, cortisone and various creams/moisturizers - absolutely nothing has worked.  I don't see anything in the online med pages that look the same although a question was posted here that sounded similar (http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Dermatology/messages/30089.html)  The answer given there did not really address it - can you help?
You have just described what I am suffering from.  I have been to Dermatologists who have given me every type of cream there is available, but nothing seems to work on these 'itchy spots'.  They are starting to effect me emotionally because the discoloration and deep holes take forever to heal and I notice people in public staring at them.  I get them mainly on my hands, tops and sides of fingers, but sometimes will develop a large blister on my palms.  I also get them on my feet.  It starts with a tingling or numb sensation followed by the most intense itch.  Sometimes in the early numbness stage or when it first starts to itch I apply an ice cube to the location and sometimes it doesn't develop into the blister stage.  But once the clear blister develops the itch is so intense that it's a relief to scratch off the blister which leaves a deep hole that doesn't bleed but oozes clear fluid for a day or two before turning a dark color and stays that way until eventually it goes away.  The blisters also go from being intolerably itchy to extremely painful when the blister is scratched away leaving the open oozing hole beneath.  I even had my regular Doctor stick a needle into a blister to aspirate the fluid inside to have it tested but it came back negative for anything.  I also get thick areas of skin around my fingers and toes that are red and sometimes scaly, but I think are unrelated, but both ailments are very itchy and bothersome.  
Good luck with your treatment :-)
Laurie
We have the same problem here, myself and also my 2 year old and 4 year old daughters.  We have been to the doctor repeatedly, but none of them seem to know what it is.  We've tried every cream known to man, and nothing helps.  Most of the creams burn and sting.  Besides the obvious discomfort of itching, I'm sick of all the questions from people on the street who act like we're contagious and are just not doing anything to get rid of it.  If anyone knows what this is, please tell us!
You describe something I've had for 20 years.  My derm finally decided it was pustular psoriasis and has been successfully treating me with Grenz rays for the last 15 years.  A series of treatments put this into remission for 3-5 yrs.  Nothing else has ever worked.