Tiny bumps inside lips--what are they??

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Tiny bumps inside lips--what are they??

Hi. So I've noticed that I periodically get these tiny, pinhead, sized bumps inside my lower lip. They're clear, slightly raised, and fluid filled. I can pop them, and they usually go away, but occasionally come back several times before disappearing completely. They aren't painful (except a little when I pop them), no itchiness, or anything else, mostly just an annoyance. They don't look anything like cold sores as fall as I can tell, and I've never in my life had a cold sore near or on the lips. These little bumps occur primarily inside the lower lip, but inside cheeks as well. I've asked a doctor who took a quick look and said they were normal, but I'd like a second opinion. Thanks!!!

Other details: I am sick with mono right now and have them, mouthwash tends to help the problem a little, and I occasionally bite/chew on my lower lip (where they are).
hi just to let you no that ive had these as well there weird arnt they I wouldnt worry mine come and go just as yours do. Im sorry i cant help with what they are but i hope it makes you feel better that i no exactly what you mean and that your not alone!!xxx
Avatar_dr_f_tn

I know you are very concerned about this. You have been assessed by your physician and based on your post this may be a case of mucocele. Mucoceles may be small bumps inside the lips .

"An oral mucocele, also referred to as mucus extravasation phenomenon, is a swelling of connective tissue consisting of collected mucin from a ruptured salivary gland duct, which is usually caused by local trauma. The mucocele is a bluish translucent color, and is more commonly found in children and young adults."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mucocele

In some cases, mucoceles may be smaller and they usually occur in the insides of the lip. This is  not something to be worried about.Mucoceles usually resolve spontaneously or persist for some time. This does not require any intervention. I suggest that you just avoid biting or picking on these bumps. Also, be careful not to take in hot soups or beverages as these may injure the lining of the mouth or lips.

Are there other associated problems like bleeding or discoloration of the lip?
No, there is no bleeding or discoloration. It sounds like they could be mucocele, however from what I've read/see mucocele tend to be bigger than what I have described and there aren't many of them. They do seem to pop up in areas that rub against my teeth, any chance this could just be some form of irritation?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Yes. Mucoceles do vary in size. They "appear as a discrete, more or less soft, fluctuant, painless, swelling of the mucosa. The size varies from a few millimetres to several centimetres in diameter, but 75% of the lesions are smaller than 1 cm in diameter."
(http://www.ispub.com/ostia/index.php?xmlPrinter=true&xmlFilePath=journals/ijds/vol3n2/labial.xml)

So ,yes, an irritation may play a role here but mucoceles may still help explain the condition. Just avoid biting the affected parts as trauma may lead to further irritation.
Hi, I had mono awhile back and I remember that I had a lot of weird bumps in my mouth as a result of the virus. I think that your problem may be connected to the mono. It will be interesting to see if this condition subsides when your other mono symptoms do.
I currently have these annoying little bumps on the inside of my lower lip, somewhat sore and sensitive to certain foods.  Can it be spread person to person? Help