DERMATOLOGY
COMMUNITY
Tiny foot blisters
by Shelly7686, Oct 06, 2010
I keep getting tiny blisters all over my feet. It started several months ago. They are all over the sides and bottom of my feet and now some are on top of my feet. They itch really bad and are filled with some sort of clear fluid when popped feel a little better but itch terribly. I have always walked alot and always on my feet but never had this problem before. Sometimes I even wake up with more than when I went to sleep. What is it and how can I stop and prevent it from reoccuring?
Member Comments (1)
by Dr. Kokil MathurBlank, Oct 07, 2010
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Usually blisters on foot are due to friction, one would see them after a long walk or if you have worn a particular shoe for too long or if you have been standing for too long. Especially if you have diabetes and hence diabetic neuropathy or if you have a peripheral artery disease (can be known by duplex ultrasound of legs), then the chances increase. The treatment is to wear comfortable shoes and foot wear. Avoid the foot from becoming moist with sweat. Usually people sprinkle talcum powder to keep foot dry and also avoid too much sweating. Socks should be changed several times during a long journey. Antibiotic cream should be applied over broken and drained blisters to avoid infection. Other causes are skin conditions like bullous pemphigoid and pemphigus (both treated by topical steroid creams). Apart from this, even though the pain is not much, it could be herpes shingles. The treatment is anti viral and antiallergic therapy. Antiviral cream for herpes is also available to be locally applied. It can also be impetigo, caused by staphylococcus, it is contagious, scratching causing it to spread to other areas. It’s a less likely diagnosis in your case. It can also be pompholyx characterized by a sudden onset of many deep-seated pruritic, clear vesicles which itch and then peel off. As a result the skin may also fissure. The exact cause is not known but excessive sweating or allergic reaction to soaps, detergents, foods, latex, nickel etc may trigger the symptoms. All these causes have to be ruled out one by one. It would be good if you could consult a skin specialist. Take care!