Dermatology Expert Forum
Tiny red spots around eyes

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Tiny red spots around eyes

<p>
I woke up this morning and I have dozens of tiny, very red pin-***** sized spots around my eyes and under my eyes.  They are not raised and they do not hurt, but they are UGLY.  I am not using any new medications or cosmetics!  They look like freckles except they are very red and tiny and densely clustered & out of place.  The rest of my face is not very freckled and I've never had such red tiny & dense prominent freckles.  What are those?  I'm scared they might be broken blood vessels in which case it could be permanent.  Are they permanent?
If they just came suddenly, they're not likely to be either long-lasting or permanent.  An outburst of blood vessles like the ones you describe is possibly the result of increased pressure in the blood vessels.  This could be from coughing or straining to pass a bowel movement.  (It could also be from someone trying to strangle you.  If they did, make them stop!)

Whether or not any of these suggestions make sense, I'd advise waiting a few days.  The likelihood is that they'll just go away.  If they don't, or if they spread, please show them to a doctor.  But I doubt you'll have to.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
I get those tiny red spots around my eyes when I use my inversion equipment (hang upside down).  I have a machine in my basement and do it several times a week for my back and neck.  Sometimes I get the red spots and other times I don't.  I usually do it for 2 minutes, max.  Is it dangerous for me to do this?  I wonder about a stroke or something.  I'm a 44 year old female with normal blood pressure and physically fit. When I do get the red dots around my eyes, they go away in a couple of days.  Thank you.