Dermatology Expert Forum
Toddler Skin Rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Toddler Skin Rash

About 3 weeks ago, I noticed a skin rash all over my 3 1/2 year olds body.  It looked like very little bumps (not really noticable from far away) but you could definitely feel it (kinda like rough sandpaper).  It was everywhere - face, middle, hands, feet, armpits, palms, soles of feet (little less on the arms and legs).  She had been swimming in pools about 3 days in a row (more frequent than our weekly trip to the pool).  Anyway, she had it for about a week then we decided to take her to the Dr.  They checked for strep  - test was false.  She has no fever.  However, not sure if this is related or a coincidence...she has had a raspy cough about the same period of time.  Nothing real serious but just something that is lingering.  She also occasionally woke up with yellow gook in the corners of her eyes.  Not sure if the cough and gook are related to the rash?  It seemed like the rash was slowly getting better and it never really itched/bothered her.  About a week ago (2 weeks into the rash), she started to wipe a lot after she went to the bathroom.  Very adament about having my husband and I help her wipe  - she would insist on wiping a dozen times.  We did not think anything of it then realized it might be related to the rash - and the wiping was like itching her privates.  We started using Vasil cream a few times a day (might be a yeast infection).  It is helping but still asking to wipe more than ususal.  Then - one other sympton occurred  this weekend (after a day of the Vasil) - she woke up one morning and green fungus was on the palms of her hands and soles of her feet!  It looked like it was growing where the the skin was broken from the rash.  Most of the fungus came off in the bathtub but there are some small dots that still exist.  Again, she is not really complaining of any pain, etc. Anyway, I can not figure out what this is...eczema or what?  I need to call the Dr again but thought I would try this forum too.   One other thing is that around her hairline and ears the skin looks a little white and dry.  

Any ideas?
The rash sounds viral to me, which would go along with the other symptoms(cough, eye gook.)  I don't know what to make of the itch down below, nor have I clue as to what you mean by "green fungus" (especially one that "comes off in the bathtub."  That kind fo temporariy color is invariably from ouside the body somehow.  I think your doctor will just advise you to wait it out....

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
a small red rash showed on my 2 yr old boy right side of the waist, as time went by the outer ring is red and inside its white. and it continues to grow wider, what can this be. Im worried, since a second small rash appeared under his belly button
A related discussion, rash on the belly was started.