Toddler rash around lips

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Toddler rash around lips

3848297?1231367627
Hi, my daughter recently started showing a rash around her lips...shortly after returning to preschool following the winter break.  I'm worried it could be something or someone she is in contact with at school.  This happened a few months ago and it went away but, at first, looked like she drank a cup of fruit punch and forgot to wipe her mouth.  

I'd be interested if anyone has seen similar rashes and found out the cause.

Without examination confirmation of a diagnosis is tough but it can be perioral dermatitis or contact dermatitis.Perioral dermatitis typically affects the nasolabial folds, perioral area or perioccular area. It is usually characterized by an uncomfortable burning sensation around the mouth. Itching is not a common symptom.Treatment consists of oral antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs. A mild soap or soap substitute, such as Dove or Cetaphil should be used for washing. Scrubbing should be avoided.

Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin.

If the symptoms are not controlled by topical antibiotics,then oral antibiotics may be needed.Pls consult a dermatologist in that case.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how your daughter is doing or if you have any additional doubts.

Well, it's been 5 days and I haven't done anything to the rash since she hasn't complained and it has nearly gone away.  I noticed she does tend to sort of pull in her lips when she's being shy so perhaps that caused it?

I figured it would go away but am still curious what it might be caused by; could very well be what you suggested but probably no way to know for certain without having her looked at.  

I suspect next time she needs to go for a Dr. visit, if she happens to be showing the rash then, I'll ask.

Thanks for your help.