Toe Tip Itch

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Toe Tip Itch

On my left foot, the tip of the toe next to the big toe frequently itches without relief from scratching or rubbing.  On a scale from one to ten (10 most itching) it is about a three.  The location is not on the nail, rather below and to the inside of it by about 1/8".  There is no deformity or discolouration of the nail or toe area and there are no skin abnormalities.  This is not neuropathy and is very localized.  My BP and blood work is fine.
From your symptoms, it is important to rule out parasthesia skin.
Parasthesia due to dysfunctioning of neurons which can be due to diabetes, hypothyroidism, peripheral vascular disease, vitamin B12 deficiency, neurological causes or malnutrition.

You can take vitamin B 12 supplements for some days. Foods rich in vitamin B 12 like meats and poultry can also be taken. Also get your blood sugar levels and thyroid hormone levels checked.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

I do take B12, eat chicken & fish (not red meats) and have none of the indicators for diabetes based on blood tests and a recent medical exam.  My doctor also has run thyroid tests which have come up nil. This is not a "pins and needles" or tingling sensation so I do not think it Parasthesia.    Reflexology suggests toe tip issues are related to brain function.... but everything I sense there seems as normal as it has ever been. As I am generally healthy and relatively well informed, this one has left me scratching my head as well as my toe tip.  
To flesh this out a bit further:  I am a Caucasian male turning sixty in a couple of months, 6' x 210 pounds living in western Canada in a rural location with relatively clean air and surroundings.  I do not exercise regularly, but my work does require a fair amount of physical activity.  The toe in question has never been injured, burnt or frozen though it has been very cold a few times just as have its companions been.