Toenail Falling Off??

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Toenail Falling Off??

Earlier I was cooking and I opened the cabinet to get a pot. Once I opened it three pans fell out and hit my big toe. Yeah it hurt like hell, but eventually the pain receded. I went to the bathroom to look at it, but I couldn't see the damage because of the nail polish I was wearing. When I got home I took it off with nail polish remover and it really hurt in some area's. I think the nail was loose but I'm not 100% sure. I was afraid to touch it.

I did see a line across the nail towards the bottom. I just want to know what I should do about it. How I should I take care of it? If the nail comes off what should I do? Should I cover it? If so than what should I use? A regular band aid.? Please help.
Tags: toenail, Pain
It is due to formation of subungual hematoma. A subungual hematoma is caused by collection of blood (hematoma) underneath a toenail or fingernail. Keep the hand elevated and apply cold compresses by wrapping ice cubes in a towel.

Please ensure not to apply ice directly without any cloth. Also take some anti inflammatory medicine like Ibuprofen or Diclofenac if you have taken them prior to this injury and have not shown any allergic reaction to them.  Also consult a doctor because any hematoma which is covering more than 25 % of the area has to be evaluated by a doctor. If there is any nail removal then soak it with an antiseptic and apply some antibiotic cream like Neosporin or Bactroban. Surgical technique for draining the hematoma like cautery, needle drilling or removing the entire nail to release the blood may be required.

I hope it helps. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.