Topical Steroid Withdraw - Red Skin Syndrome

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Why is it that doctors are so quick to prescribe steroids, yet fail to understand the side effects and devastating consequences steroids have on people??

I was prescribed a potent steroid, lotrisone which contains the steroid betamethasone, to apply to the genital and penis area of my body for a total of 8 weeks for a tinea infection. For one, the steroid doesn't even clear the tinea infection, it was pointless to use!! Now I have a constant burning sensation, redness, skin thinning, and have been told by a dermatologist that the striae and thinning may be permanent. I keep having flare ups, and it is horrible, depressing to say the least.

The doctor who prescribed it doesn't seem to think it's a big deal. I am so sick and tired of doctors who are lazy and don't communicate with patients. If he had mentioned the potential side effects of the medicine I NEVER would have used it. So I guess it's the patients responsibility that before you take a medical professionals advice such as an MD, you should first go research what they have prescribed and see if there are any side effects, because most of them won't say a thing.

I for one will never touch a topical steroid again.