Dermatology Community
Topical Steroid Withdraw - Red Skin Syndrome
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Topical Steroid Withdraw - Red Skin Syndrome

Why is it that doctors are so quick to prescribe steroids, yet fail to understand the side effects and devastating consequences steroids have on people??

I was prescribed a potent steroid, lotrisone which contains the steroid betamethasone, to apply to the genital and penis area of my body for a total of 8 weeks for a tinea infection. For one, the steroid doesn't even clear the tinea infection, it was pointless to use!! Now I have a constant burning sensation, redness, skin thinning, and have been told by a dermatologist that the striae and thinning may be permanent. I keep having flare ups, and it is horrible, depressing to say the least.

The doctor who prescribed it doesn't seem to think it's a big deal. I am so sick and tired of doctors who are lazy and don't communicate with patients. If he had mentioned the potential side effects of the medicine I NEVER would have used it. So I guess it's the patients responsibility that before you take a medical professionals advice such as an MD, you should first go research what they have prescribed and see if there are any side effects, because most of them won't say a thing.

I for one will never touch a topical steroid again.

Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dermatology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank