Topical steroid induced scarring.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Topical steroid induced scarring.

What does skin atrophy look like?  I used a steroid cream Triamcinolone on my face months back.  I used it periodically over the course of 3 to 4 months.  Now my facial skin looks almost scarred.  I can't quite tell if it is permanent scarring or atrophy.  Can a steroid cream produce scarring?  Is this reversible?  How long does it usually take to reverse?
Steroid induced rosacea or dermatitis is an adverse effects of using steroids. Some patients develop steroid-induced rosacea within weeks of applying a topical steroid; others may not experience it for years.

You can use tacrolimus ointment for this.Using this rosacea often resolves the itch, redness, and tenderness of steroid-induced rosacea in 7 to 10 days with twice daily application. Complete clearing of steroid-induced rosacea usually takes 1 to 2 months. Sometimes clearing takes a bit longer. Avoiding rosacea triggers, such as caffeine, spicy foods, and alcohol, also may help clear the skin.But pls don’t worry as it is not a permanent condition.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.Warm regards.

I'm pretty sure that this is not rosacea that I am experiencing.  It is the actual texture and scarred appearance of the skin that I am concerned about.  Could you give me a description of what atrophy looks like or if scarring could occur from a steroid cream?  Any help that you could give me would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Scarring cannot result from topical steroid use.However redness and erythema and sometimes flare up of acne can occur but this is temporary and disappears with steroid discontinuation.
I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts. Warm regards.
I know exactly what you are talking about i have the same thing on my skin but only in the lighter areas i am african american and my skin color vaires all over but the more lighter areas my skin looks pulled and transperant u can see all of my veins and blood flow i dont know why triancinole did this and or why a doctor would subscribe this medication but i know we are not alone...
I have this as well, also from hydrocortisone. I find it very upsetting that the MD's are apparently in denial that this side effect occurs and are so arrogant to refute the patients claims that it has. Hydrocortisone, particularly when used on the face, causes thinned skin and scar-like texture. If you are an MD and you didnt know this, consider yourself informed and resolve your ignorance.