Tough, painful skin on toe.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Tough, painful skin on toe.

I have patches of rough, hard skin on my toe which become painful when pressure is applied. They look similar to plantar warts but I've looked into it and they definately aren't. They are located on my left big toe and the toe adjacent to it as though the two have been rubbing together causing a blister. However, it is most certainly not a blister as there is no pus and it has been with me for at least a year now. The marks go white when they get wet and do not appear to be infectious nor do they spread to any other area of skin. I hope someone can tell me what this condition might be as it has been on my mind for a very long time now and I cannot think of any explanation. Thanks in advance.
It can be a callus skin. Place protective covering or bandages over the sore to decrease friction on the skin until the sore heals. Rub sandpaper disks or pumice stone over hard thickened regions. Soak feet or hands in warm soapy water to soften calluses. Then rub with a pumice stone and apply some moisturizer.

If still the calluses persist, then please go in for removal by surgical means or with keratolytic agents (medicines that break up hardened areas of skin). Shaving or cutting off the hardened area on the skin by a doctor is also helpful.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers