Towel smells like ammonia after showering

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

After I shower I always use a freshly washed towel (which smells fine). I use soap and shampoo, rinse it off, then dry my hair and body. While I am drying my hair and body, I can smell an ammonia/urine smell on the towel. Why is this. Is it something to do with the kidneys?
Avatar n tn
I forgot to mention. When I smell my skin/hair after it smells fine. But when I smell the towel later I do not smell ammonia, rather I smell BO on the towel. Why would it smell like this after showering?
Avatar n tn
My husband has the same problem.  I think at first he thought I was crazy but now I'm reading all sorts of things though.  Try going to you doctor and having a blood test done for Helicobactor.  If that's the case, it's a bacteria that grows in the stomach and intestines.  It can be treated and cured within a week
Sorry it should have been www.tmau.org.uk -  it is a metabolic condition where body cannot process certain foods and chemicals are secreted on breathe and in sweat. Is documented as being 'rare' but is actually just rarely tested for, and therefore grosely under-diagnosed