Traction Alopecia

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Traction Alopecia

I am a 20 year old African canadian male. I have been growing my hair for 2 years. I have a very thick afro and have braided it occasionally and twisted it maybe 5 times over the course of 2 years. I believe I have traction alopecia but I have caught it early since the patch is only about the size of 3 finger tips. How realistic is it that my hair will grow back fully in that patch?

I take a multi vitamin daily, I exercise daily; both cardio vascular and weight training, I eat healthily as perscirbed by the Canada food guide, I have a blood pressure of 120/80, and I don't use any harsh chemicals on my skin.

I wash my hair with a 1 mol/L concentration of Apple cider vinegar solution once per week; because ACV stimulate's circulation of blood in the small capillaries, and I condition my hair with a thumb sized amount of 100% pure West African Shea butter.

please respond to my question, I am desperate.

Avatar_dr_f_tn

How are you? The key to stopping traction alopecia is detecting it early. Hair styles that put unnecessary strain on the hair root must be changed. Try  have a looser, more gentle hair style.

I would recommend that you have this evaluated by a dermatologist. If it is in its early stage, it may still be reversible. However, for late-stage traction alopecia, there is no medical treatment and it may lead to permanent hair loss.  Hair grafts have been identified as the only practical solution.
Take care and regards.