Treatment of Vaginal Eczema

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Treatment of Vaginal Eczema

What is the best treatment for vaginal Eczema.  I have this for years now, it comes and goes.  I use Calendula gel when I have symptoms, it seems to help but not completely.  Is there something that I can use that is more effective.  It is very uncomfortable.  Burning sensation, etc.  I had a biopsy done a few years ago and results came back (SPONGIOTIC DERMATITIS)  which I been told is like ECZEMA.  

Can you please help or have any comments regarding this condition.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Mildly potent topical corticosteroids applied externally over the area is usually used for eczema of the genitalia. We are avoiding the more potent ones as they may cause some thinning of the skin and other side effects. I suggest that you discuss this with your gynecologist. Corticosteroids are the mainstay of therapy for eczematous diseases. However, they do need close supervision from your physician so that your response to the medications may be assessed Keep the area dry and clean always. Avoid tight underpants and wash using a mild cleanser only.

For how long have you had this skin condition?

Do you have similar skin conditions in other parts of the body?

Thank you for answering my questions.  I had this for a few years now, too long for me.  My Gyn at the time said a Dermatologist would help.  I never did seek the help of one but I am now having another bout and I will be going to see one.

I only have this condition in vaginal area and some irritation towards the rectum.  I always had yeast infections off and on all my life and was told by a Dr. I have yeast overgrowth in my body.  I was on pure form of Nystatin for about a year.  That probably has something to do with me developing the dermatitis????

I did get Corticosteroids from a infectious disease doctor years ago for a chronic vaginal infection, if I remember right it didn't give me much comfort at the time.

I would appreciate any information that you can give me.  Thank you for responding.

Alexie1554
I have had vaginal eczema for 3 long years. I have been to gynocologists and dermatoligists. No one has given me anything that helps and I am miserable. I feel your pain.One dermatolosist just told me to use vasoline..what A JOKE..iVE TRIED HERBAL REMEDIES TOO..iVE EXHAUSTED MY OPTIONS. i WANT TO TRY AN IMMUNOSUPRESSIVE CREAM BUT NO ONE IS WILLING TO LET ME TRY IT. gOOD LUCK ON FINDING GOOD TREATMENT.Just know you are not alone.....
While I am not an expert in this area of dermatology just a point.Pinworms are notorious to cross over from the anal area to produce vaginal pruritus and missed  by concentrating only looking at vaginal cause.
I also have been diagnosed with vaginal eczema and have been having symptoms for about two years. like Alexie1554 i only have eczema vaginally and almost completly internally. Nightly i use the hydrocortisone supposity anucort (25 mg) and the topical steriod (?) clobetasol lipoba (.05%) which handles it ok sometimes but i still often have back to back bacterial and yeast (once in a while UTI) infections for months at a time.

I'm looking into seeing a natural pathic doctor, but am wonder what sorts of things any of you have tried other than prescription meds.

I already use fragrance and dye free everything (and even have my sexual parters use the same soap as me), only wear cotton underwear, aviod caffiene and tight fitting clothes. Has anyone tried the oxalate (prob spelled wrong) diet?
Hi..I've had chronic vaginal dermatitis for five years and its driving me mad!! I have had a biopsy done which confirmed the diagnosis but since I'm allergic to a lot of medications the only thing I'm allowed to use is dermovate. If the burning inside is intense, I usually put some plain greek yoghurt on a tampon and leave it in for a wee while. It gives a lot of relief at the time but sadly the burning starts again quickly once the tampon is removed.I have regular bouts of thrush and this usually makes the condition a lot worse. The dermatologist told me there was nothing she could do for me, I just had to try to live with it and try to manage the condition as best I could. I am desperate for help if anyone knows any alternative remedies. I am on a yeast free diet to try to limit the bouts of thrush, use alternative cleansing products etc. but this darn thing keeps raising its ugly head. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I've been battleing eczema in the vagnial area for 10 year now.  I had all the test done.  The only thing that seem to work is when I have a asthma attack I end up in the hospital I'm place on steriods and by the time I come off of steriods after a week of being on them.  the eczema is completely clear up.  It' is when the steriods are out of my system that the skin problem is back.  I'm noticeing this is a big problem and the physician lack the ability to dignosis it or treate it .  We need help it is a disabling condition when it takes total control of your life.    ....We need help, Serous help
I too have the same problem but it is completely on the outside of my vagina and I've tried every cream, even tea tree oil and nothing helps. I am going to see my dermatologist in March and will be telling him exactly whats going on.  I cannot even have sex without discomfort, I am exhausted with the whole thing.  
Go to this link. I hope the advice there helps. Sorry for posting link that leads to another site, but it is too long to copy/paste it here.
http://************/forums/fm.asp?i=935998
the name of the site is curezone com I see it was automaticaly deleted with ********* up but it might help you so i'm posting it here
I have also has vaginal eczema ever since my 2nd son was born and I was given a heavy dose of antibiotics. I have Candida (overgrowth of yeast) and if you look into this condition itching and problems in the genital and anal area is very common. Medicals doctors sometimes do not even acknowledge this condition and so you will not get a solution for it from them. The solution is definately to go the naturopath or holistic or homeopathic route for full cure.A Dr by the name of Michael Biamonte is an absolute expert in this condition and has cured it in many people. You can Google him. He does phone consults and can work with you remotely for a complete cure. It isn't easy but he really knows his business and handles yeast for sure of which vaginal eczema is merely a symptom albeit a very frustrating one. Hope this helps. I have also checked into other Candida websites and have found these somewhat helpful but I have been bad with eating sugar and have not have a full recovery althougn they have helped. I think when it comes down to it you really have to buckle down and change your diet drastically with correct supplements over a period of time to rid yourself of the overgrowth completely
I have just begun my suffering with vaginal exzema (eczema), but my sister has been suffering for more than a year. At one point, she became so infected from the scratching, the symptoms spreaded throughout her body, and now she has hardly any hair because it fell off of her head only to be replaced with red bumps, blisters and sores. She has seen every type of doctor imaginable...to include the infectious disease specialist in Atlanta. All they could say is that she does not have a sexual disease and considering that she has seen everyone else there is nothing they can do. She and I have both changed our detergents, soaps and we only wear white cotton underwear and loose clothing. I bathe 2 to 3 times a day just to keep the sweat from irritating my bumps and blisters. I am so frustrated and tired...What can we do???
so what everybody is saying there is no hope in trying to get read of this problem, i had it for 18 years and now it is spreading through my hole body i hate it i don't go any where anymore now.. i hate my life now ,i'm in just pure hell all the itching ,it is even in my eyes,, but there is nothing nobody can do...
Ladies I feel your pain.  Every time I go to my doctor, by the time I get there it is cleared up and there is nothing to show him.  I have had this condition off and on for five months, and it seems like now it is here to stay.  I have tried everything I can think of. Yeast infection creams are pretty much useless, A/D ointment and powder after every shower and at night seems to help a little, but doesnt clear it up.  Since I have had post-pregnancy eczema on my legs, arms, and even a little on my face, I have decided to go that route and try to use what cured that, which was Cetaphyl lotion and by going back to only using Dove white unscented soap.  I too, only wear cotton underware, although it seems trying not to wear underware at night or whenever possible does seem to help a little, along with keeping it dry.  I am at my wits end with this mess, as it is uncomfortable to have intercourse with my husband, and constantly wanting to scratch and trying not to gets old.  If I scratch at all I wind up causing small cuts in the skin, which only serve to further irritate the issue.  The skin between my vaginal opening and anus stays cracked and irritated  which causes it to burn during urination.  I am on a low hormone birth control pill, which doesnt seem to affect the problem either way, an I have done my best to avoid eating/drinking very much sugar, in the event that it could possibly be blood sugar related to no avail.  It seems to flair up more when I am stressed, and have wondered if it could be a blood pressure issue.  I will let everyone know how the Cetaphil/Dove Soap turns out, but if anyone has any other suggestions please let me know.  I have got to get rid of this somehow.  I can't live like this.  Medical doctors please help!  Someone needs to find a cure!
Well Hello all. I am glad to see that I am not the only one out there dealing with this issue. I started having symptoms about 2 years ago and all I was told is that it was a yeast inf. To take the Diflucan and it would go away. Well it didn't. Lasted about 3 to 4 weeks. It seemed like it would come every 3 to 4 months. Finally, I switched to a knew OB and she decided to do a Biopsy on me. Well got the news today that this is what I have. Finally got the answer to why I have been so miserable. The down side is  there was no cure for it. Bummer. I have read a lot on this and it has helped me understand more. I am going to try the Dove soap which my OB did suggest as well as a steriod cream. I hope in the near future some genius out there will come up with a pill of some sort and we all will be cured.
I have been dealing with this issue since January 2011.  It took me three months and about 5 doctors to be diagnosed.  None of them helped.  Two weeks ago I again reached my breaking point, I am a single mom of two young kids and I can't be in pain all the time.  I went to my local health food store and the lady there gave me the answer.  MILK THISTLE.  It's absolutely disgusting in the liquid form, but this gets into your bloodstream way faster.  Within 3 days I stopped using the steriod creams and within 5 days was almost pain free for the first time in five months.  I am about to switch over to the pill form but would recommend anyone dealing with this to try it!  Good luck!!
Ladies - I can't believe all your stories. My legend of a GP gave me Betnovate Ointment (betamethasone valerate) and this makes the vaginal eczema go away after a few days. Try it!
Thanks ladies for telling your stories - I've been dealing with the same thing for more than a year and I'm yet again, at my breaking point.  I appreciate all the suggestions for remedies as I too haven't had any luck... allergist, GYN, etc. no can help and someone really needs to help with this on a definitive medical level.  In the mean time, your posts give me some hope for some relief.
its a comfort to at least learn i'm not alone. i've been suffering with vaginal eczema, vaginal pressururticaria (which is basically an allergic reaction to friction), thrush, and pretty much allergic reaction to everything going (latex, lace,satin,shower gel, soap, laundry detergent- you get the idea) for 11 years. took me 8 years to get diagnosed, and several trials of creams which of course i was allergic to. i have allergic reactions to sex and my skin tears completely. my husband has had to lift me into a cool bath afterwards because i'm in so much pain and cant walk. this is a horrible and miserable condition to have. i wish i could say i found something which worked and i'm cued. i cant. but things have helped. 1. dont wash with soap, not even dove- wash with aqueous cream or hydromol cream, still cleanses but doesnt dry like soap. 2. eumovate which is a steroid ointment helped loads better than any cream i tried and turns out i wasnt allergic- yay! 3. shower once a day, no more, weirdly water can be drying for the skin. 4. always wear cotton underwear. 5. it was only found out that i had pressururticaria because i had just bought a rabbit, turns out i was allergic and started taking antihistamines and some of the symptoms started to clear up. i'm on 4 a day but they made the BIGGEST difference. They helped a lot although i dont know if i'm becoming immune to them now as things are getting really bad again. but still nowhere near as bad as the were a few years ago. i totally understand your pain ladies, and if anyone needs to chat, i'm here. Sorry this was so long!
I have siriasis aka really bad dandruff and i have been developing what looks like dry skin or eczema in vagina area and i have been using vagisil for it but it doesn't go away. Any ideas to help me out? Its itch and pain everyday and i work in a daycare so i move around alot which doesn't help it at all.
I have had on and off again bouts and have been diagnosed with Spongiotic Dermatitis and Probable Psoriasis. It is unbearable itching with sharp shooting pain.  Loss of sleep. Not able to work out as I was used to as I am so tired. This leads to depression and eating.  I am a bit better if I cut down on sugar but the rash never completely goes away, I do have a Steroid cream that I put on the other parts of my body with the rash but for the vaginal and anal area I have found an over the counter medication that will bring a few hours of relief.  You will have to ask the Pharmacist for it as it is not on the shelf. They may even have to order for you. This was my first non script miracle. See what you think and I hope it may help you.
Calmoseptine  
www.colmoseptine.com
I will at at least refrain from jumping off a bridge after hearing that so many other people have the same symtoms (symptoms). My problem began in August with Pinworms. They got lost and spread to my vagina. I treated it like a yeast infection gone nuclear for two weeks before my online researching led me to the pinworm diagnosis. I even resorted to douching with peroxide and water. It took two more weeks 3 perscriptions and $300 later before I could go to bed without a freezer pop wrapped in a towel between my legs. It was the ONLY thing that would tame to INTENSE itching. I finally figured out that I was adding an ailment by over washing my vag. I destroyed all the healthy bacteria and completely destroyed all my natural moisture. I am about reduce my sugar intake, start a good probiotic and begin taking milk thistle. In the future I will only use water and maybe an occational Summer's Eve Sensitive wash .I highly recommend NOT using a douch EVER. Our bodies clean themselves and I swear ALL my problems began around the time I started douching after my period I have also benched my CPAP machine (used for sleep apnea) for a few weeks in fear that this is where the pinworm eggs are hiding. Continue to post updates b/c I feel so much more encouraged. Good Luck everyone ~ God Bless!
Did you test for herpes?
I have something it felt like eczema because i was scratching so roughly and uncontrollably but it did go away for 2 days when i was on a trip. Now it is back but i am causing it to be bad skin and it is very very red in my vaginal area alittle on my thigh where i bend there and just above the area. I don't know what it is, but it has been this way for 6 months and i am frusterated with this condition. There are no bumps or anything to make me thing its a disease and when i get my pap they tell me my cells are strange but unknown as to what it could be. Help me please!

I just read your post and i have exactly the same symptoms as you.  I have had eczema for years and did not know that the severe itching i have had around my vagina could be the spread of this there.  I am in so much discomfort!!!!
Have you tried anything new??  I am off to get some Calmoseptine today.
Has anyone got vaginal soreness without the itchyness, worstened after sex? if so, do you have any remedies please?.....
All I have to say is: I thought I was insane.  I have had my eczema flare up to my right knee and elbow after many, many years of no problems (my 6yr dtr has severe eczema, well controlled) and I assumed it would never affect the genitalia.  I was pregnant this year (miscarried in Feb) and started itching SEVERELY, too painful to have intercourse and chalked it up to hormones...well, it's back.  All external and I'm about to start using my dtrs corticosteroids.  Aquaphor helps to maintain skin integrity and proper moisture barrier (after drying off adequately).
Keep you posted!
I Was recently told I have vaginal eczema. At first I thought I had chronic yeast infections. And there is an oral pill I would take to get rid Of it. The oral pill fluconazole (150mg) helped rid me of external and internal itching for 2-3 weeks. One pill helped that much. I'm not sure how many doctors would allow you to take them without a yeast infection. But it did help me. Also A+D baby diaper rash ointment helps a lot too. Along with a mild steroid cream for when it gets really bad. I've had this for about a year without knowing what it was.  Mine always got worse before and after my period when I was the most emotional. So try to keep a cool head. I've been dealing with eczema on my arms since I was born. So bare with the doctors. But maybe we should push for research and more creams to help it!? Just my thoughts  
I can't believe there are so many people dealing with the same everyday pain and discomfort as I do - here I was thinking I was all alone !! I feel for each and everyone  of you I believe I have had the condition for 4 years too long!  I also have been told there's not much they can do ! I'm sick of cream after cream nothing ever works, the itching is something that you just can't explain to anyone as they just don't get it!! The  pain can bd unbarable and you know its bad when you even scarcth in your sleep!!! im only 25yr and about to marry the man of my dreams  we haven been together for 6 years he is so patient and understanding but I just feel so upset inside because our sex life I'd almost non existent due to this horrible condition - it's not fair to us or our partners , we need a cure!!!
I want to caution you about referring to Michael Biamonte as a doctor.  He is in no way a doctor.  He claims a doctorate in Nutripathy which is not a recognized degree and is from a non-accredited school.  There are powerful supplements which he "prescribes" to unsuspecting people.  Noted right on the bottle of these supplements is that they should not be dispensed without a physician.   Additionally, an expensive array of these supplements are recommended by him which he just happens to offer at very high prices.  Upon review by a qualified practitioner, it was noted that the combination of supplements recommended was too much for the body to be able to possibly utilize and in fact may cause undue stress.  Basically, he is practicing medicine without a license! Please be aware of who you're calling "Doctor" and placing your health care trust in.
I came across these posts looking for an answer to vaginal /rectal eczema I've just started getting in the past few weeks. it's quite painful at times and I've started taking days off work due to the embarrassment of itching and scratching.   It's frustrating to find it's not being taken seriously by the medical profession. I can't believe there's nothing out there! I live in India and can buy cortizone over the counter, which I have done and it seems to having a positive effect but I'm wary about using it for long. I doubt that I'll be able to get milk thistle here - any other suggestions for calming natural remedies?  Does lidocaine do more harm than good? I've been using it but have suspected that it has caused the eczema to spread. Is this possible?
Thanks you for sharing - hope we all find relief  
hi,
Sorry, im not fluent in English,but think every one can understand...

Im 32 year old female suffering the same itchines in vaginal area specially inner lips and it goes to back passage area as well,its more than 10 years and within this period I used so many ointments and other medication according to several specialists  but when I stop them ,again start the itchy as usual. I also have POS  too.But all the other tests (for the itchiness) are neg . This pain brought me to the depression and it made my life worse, at last one of the bast dermatologists was diagnosed it as a  eczema. he start treating me with follows,

1.Dermol 500 lotion- use as a soap substitute
  2. Trimovate cream 30g - apply 2 times a day
  3.Atarax 25mg  - one to be taken at night

These 3 could have change my life. itchiness isn't there and feel very comfortable at the moment. I'm waiting for another blood test reports and hopfully meet the Dr again in next month. This time it seems to be ok . I think those details will help some one who suffering like me. I hope to update after my next visit.

Thank you for reading
Krish
hi,

Thank you for reading
Krish
Have any of you looked into doing a yeast cleanse??  I had suffered for years with yeast infections.  One day I decided to do a yeast cleanse called CandiGone by Renew Life.  I did it for 3 straight months and I have never had an issue with infections since then and its been 3 years.  Awesome product!!
Also, I have stumbled across SerenaSkin who is located in Aurora Colorado and they have herbal remedies for this - eczema and psorosis.  About to order it for my Mom.  Worth looking into!  I hope this has helped.
I can't believe I am not alone in this!  I have had vaginal/anal eczema for about 5 years no with no relief.  I have run through all the dermatologists in my insurance plan and no one seems to be able to help me.  Initially I was diagnosed with Candida, and was prescribed Diflucan.  Anyone who has ever had a yeast infection knows that 1 pill usually clears this up.  My doctor at the time had me on 1 pill a day for over 3 months!!!! Needless to say I ended up with gallbladder infection,  (coincidence?) had my gallbladder removed, and changed doctors.  I have seen dermatologists, allergists, immunologists and every other gist you can think of to no avail.  I've had cortisone shots, allergy medications, ointments (over the counter as well as prescription) and even a low dose anti-seizure medication (to dull the nerve endings) AND NOTHING WORKS!!!!!!  It is always worse at night and there have been many nights when I wake up in the act of scratching.  I've given myself yeast infections as well as bacteria infections from scratching to the point of breaking the skin.  If there is anyone out there who has some advice or if there is something I may try, please let me know.
My sister had this problem and it ended up being a rare disease called bechets...it goes in your eyes, mouth, throat, your bones can feel weak. It's very rare and everyone told her it was in her head. She got tested for it...look it up and call your Dr and get tested!
Hi girls !!!! I've suffered with this condition for years now :( the only thing that helps me is calamine lotion !!! It doesn't clear it up but defiantly gives a immediate relief from the itch and lasts quite a while !  A lot of docs have told me only to use eczema ointment not cream because cream contains a lot of preserves !!! I use advatan fatty ointment works quite well ! It's a constant thing and as soon as you leave it a few days it just flares up again it's extremely frustrating !!!!
I also suffer with excema down below. I have it externally front and back. It makes sex, going to the toilet and sometimes just wearing underwear painful. What is worse is the constant itch! My GP was unhelpful also so I too am suffering in silence. Here's hoping that the medical profession realise what we are going through soon and find something to help us. Nice to know that we are not alone.x
hey, ive recently have been suffering with some of these symptoms and it is awful. it is itchy, red and sore, and cracks and sometimes bleeds and it makes sex unbearable. can someone tell me if it is eczema or dermatitis? and if anyone has any remedies that actually work and keep it at bay? x
Hi all

I am a 28 year old woman in the UK. I've been suffering from symptoms in the vulval area for months. It all started with a transvaginal ultrasound scan I had in March. A week after the test I went to the doctors with burning (internal) and they repeatedly misdiagnosed me with thrush and urinary infections (I had neither) .

Eventually one of the many doctors saw sense and gave me some Dermol cream. If you are in the UK and aren't sensitive to any of the ingredients then get some, it is very helpful. You can get it online without a prescription, it's basically just a moisturiser but a special sort and it protects your inflamed skin from infection.

My burning and redness just wouldn't go away despite various steroid creams so I was sent for patch testing to see if I had allergies. It turns out I was allergic to a dye which is present in the lubricant used in the test I had in March..

It is now December and I have only just found this out. And I still have burning. I've seen dermatologists and gynaecologists and they haven't been much help. The general feeling is that I will eventually just be ok, my skin will finally heal if I avoid the allergen.

The way vulval problems are treated by the medical profession is shocking. I am so angry and I have lost all respect for doctors. I used to think they knew so much. They really don't know much about vulval conditions and on the NHS you're expected to wait a long time to be referred to specialists which is why it's taken me months to get this far. I hope I will be ok soon. I've been unable to work because of the burning, embarrassment and psychological toll.

Someone please educate doctors.

Until then, please hound the doctors as much as you can until you get someone to listen.
I use anti inflammatories like ibroprofen to relieve the itching for a few hours. it seems to reduce the redness and calm it down for a while.

I cannot believe how many of us our suffering with this without a known and successful common treatment!
The itching drives me insane. I have eczema on other parts of my body, but the vagina is the most painful, irritating and depressing. Unable to make love with my husband and just wanting to lie infront of a cool fan for hours isn't the life I want to be living.

There should be more research done on this and Drs made aware that saying "there's nothing else we can do" is simply not acceptable. Any journalists out there, spread the word and make our voice heard, please!
I am feeling the same as everyone else.... This has been one night mare after another for me and vulva problems. I have seen numerous docs, gynos ect had surgery and tests.... I think with all the stress to my vulva that is what has caused this dermatitis night mare. I sometimes think how long can this go on for.... There has to be someone that knows something !! Steroid cream works well to clear it up but doesn't stop it from coming back!!!! So starting to take serious precautions :(
i just wanted to tell you how much i agree with your comments about the medical profession i have been suffering with problems for the last 10 months i spent 5 months seeing my gp who was fed up with me. admitted she did not know what to do with me                                                       (lets hope she does not get the problem) i asked to see a gyn i then went through 5 months of treatment with her creams ect suffering the whole time itch scratch tear  sore, but the bigger picture is how it ruins your life cant go swimming because of the chemicals  , exercise makes you hot then it gets itchy then what a problem wearing jeans is!! i could put up with those things if i could just have sex with my husband again   i am older than you in my 50's kids grown up supposed to now enjoy myself my husband cannot get near me!!!
i ended up having a really bad flare up & the gyn was at a loss took biopsys said i had thrush really bad which i think both drs missed as both never took swabs or smears !!! after treatment itching was better but still cannot have sex they did some staining tests still waiting for results 8 weeks now waiting  and that is PRIVATE  £1,000 out of pocket & still no answer bought some ph vaginal swabs to test myself & my ph is 7.0 much too high am also trying to not eat sugar / yeast & have bought some supplements & have made a appointment for another gp for second opinion .... Good luck to all you ladies out there lets hope we can get some help as it is a massive problem to thousands of women!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey everyone, I also suffer from this condition and have done for the past 5-6years, I went to my doctor every time it started back up, I was eventually referred to a skin specialist and she gave me doublebase bath cream and moisturiser to use as often as I want, so I use the moisturiser everytime I go to the bathroom, and have a bath every couple of days or after intercourse, I was also given Protopic 0.1% Oitment which I use every night when I go to bed along with two antihistamines that I was prescribed to, I feel these have helped a lot as I am currently just getting over my first bad spell from July last year and instead of lasting two weeks like the last time it's only lasted five days
I have had this problem for 6 years. Initially I went for every test under the sun via Gyn and then Dermatologist. Everything negative and after biopsy, a diagnosis of dermatitis. No itch, just burning pain. Initially all the way up inside the vagina and  red rash. Think brought on by chlorine in swimming pools. Steroid creams caused more burning so couldn't use.Many other non steroid creams caused similar burning reaction. Was given antihistamines, which also didn't cure it. Eventually became extremely twitched over the whole thing as knew there wasn't much wrong with me but nobody could make me better. The dermatologist asked me to try Nerisone Oily cream (steroid cream) together with a very low dose of Amytriptalline, which stops the nerve pain. I did this for weeks and came off slowly and was Ok. Made my own cream by mixing Boots Aqueous cream with emulsifying ointment 50:50 and applied every morning and have been fine. However has blown up again after 6 years - went swimming for too long and too frequently - back to square one. Make my own almond oil and beeswax ointment which helps, also Replens gives releif but not cure. Will try Milk Thistle and like the rest of you, hope the medical profession learn how to deal with this debilitating complaint very soon!
Had soreness and red rawness of the vagina for 3 years now, and i've been back and fore docs to no avail. I'm 20, love socialising with friends, partying and fashionable clothes, but even walking somewhere down the road is a nightmare. Nobody knows of my secret problem.. Doctors diagnosed endometriosis which explains the internal pain i get but as 5 out of 6 swab tests have proved no infection (thrush on one occasion) they suggest nothing for the external soreness.

Ive recently been diagnosed with eczema on my hands and arms but get sore skin all over so i'm pretty sure the itching down there is also eczema. I bled one time during sex which they think was down to endometriosis, but to me it felt more due to the irratation inside. So, i am self treating it for 3 months now before going back with demands if it fails. I've read this is a very effective treatment:

- 1% Hydrocortisone ointment. I apply 3 times a day. It instantly soothes itching and is said to get rid of the eczema in most women after 3 months use. It is IMPORTANT to NOT GIVE UP TREATMENT for 3 months, even if symptoms have alleviated, to fully get rid of the eczema. Only if this fails (praying it wont) should you move on to steroid creams.
- wear cotton knickers all the time, you can still get sexy knickers!
- I tried the Candida diet for a few weeks and during this time my symptoms lessened, but I was not able to stick to the strict diet and it came back. Improve your diet where possible, it has a lot to do with it!
- Drink herbal teas over caffeine every day.
- Use aqueous cream or dermal lotion when leaving the house or wearing clothes, and before sex, to keep moisturised when you walk. Apply over the hydrocortisone ointment and i can quite comfortably walk. Apply the ointment again as soon as you get back home!

Applying this ointment daily for 3 months should eventually work and i am praying it does! Been doing this for a week so far and there seems to be slight improvement already, only time will tell. I still have a great sex life despite this! Trick is lots of moisturiser. I think its best to stick with one treatment solidly for any chance of it to work before you try various creams, time and persistence should pay off! This is a condition and it can of course be treated!! Other women dont know how lucky they are not to have this, Don't give up x
I have the same issue, I'm 17 and I've had vaginal eczema since I was 16 or maybe 15 but that's so true I was taking a medicine that had steroids I guess and it cleared up, but another remedy is def COCONUT OIL! It works greats apply it everyday 2-3 times especially when it's itching and you're ready to go crazy and it clears up the eczema. Actually made mines go away for a whole year but it came back when I started shaving my vaginal area in between and close to my rear. But apply it and it should heal it relatively quick, ill say mines healed a month or 2 months.. And it you have skin discoloration and pigment it brings back the natural tone of your skin. Hope this helped someone looking for answers like I was! It's a great natural remedy and it keeps it from drying out. Usually the medicines GYN/DERM prescribe are too strong If you have sensitive and will stop the itch but will not make it go completely and it also discolors your skin pignment. Thanks for listening! Hope this helps.

P.S if you have stretch marks - really bad ones like I do, especially from gaining and losing weight this also tones down your stretch marks.
I too have had this same problem for about 15 yrs and I am almost 50 yrs old.   I was prescribed Triamcinolone Cream and yes it is a steroid cream which I do use sparingly.  But on rare occasions when I have run out and it I need it desperately I research what else I can do.   I use Dr. Bronners bar soap and followed with  organic coconut oil.  Seems to be helping but like the rest of you I really wish there was a cure since this just comes and goes.  I have told no one about this embarrassing itch ever including my husband.  My itch is only the external vaginal area so after sex I must "clean up" or I spend the night scratching myself raw. I have purchased the CVS brand of eczema cream but it has to be used every few hours to keep the itching at bay but I do want to try the Calmoseptine that someone recommended.   Anything is worth a shot
maybe Eczema Fast Healing from Triderma.  It was a miracle on my hands!
I have have the same problem for 4 years. I have tried every medicine out there nothing works. Coconut oil and Vasaline on the scratches feel good.
hello ladies, im 22 yrs old and i just recently discovered i have vagina and posterior eczema too, it is very irritating but ive been managing it pretty well. i also have eczema breakouts in other parts of my body but ive been using Aveeno soothing bath treatments and its been working, it relieves my itching and the eczema is disappearing, you can put it in your bath water or if your not taking a bath at the time and need some relief you can make a paste out of it and rub it on the skin that way....just pour the aveeno powder  in the palm of your hand and damp it with water making the paste as thick as you like....i haven't tried the steroids, or the other creams/lotions that are listed above yet but so far Aveeno has been working for me....for those who dont know you can buy Aveeno almost anywhere (walmart, cvs, freds, dollar stores, etc) also if you plan on using this product i wouldn't recommended mixing it with other remedies unless you use the Aveeno bath but decided to use cortizone10 cream instead of the aveeno cream (this is fine) i just wouldn't recommended ppl mixing it from stuff you got from the doctor, i hope this helps :)
Hi ladies, I feel your pain as I am struggling with the occasional eczema as well in the vagina area, and sometimes on other parts of my body. Here are some things I have tried and/or am trying now as we speak that have helped: I used a steroid cream before called Travacort (by Schering Plough) - it may be marketed under a different name. This has worked on every fungal issue I have had in my life! When this ran out, I have also been asked by my doctor to try Cerave (a natural moisturizer). I think much of this issue is because of dry skin so by keeping it moist, the eczema seems to be under control for most of the time so that the skin can heal. But then some days, the itch gets active again. Then I have to wash the area and put more Cerave cream in a tub to "calm" the itch. Yes it drives me crazy sometimes that I have in the past resorted to running HOT water on the skin, which obviously doesn't do any good. Another good moisturizer is Glysomed so u can maybe try and keep the area always moisturized. All the best Ladies!
sisters, i feel your pain (literally)!
i had no idea there were so many of us; i also have been diagnosed with spongiotic dermatitis coupled with an infection of a less common strain of yeast (saccharomyces cerevisiae) that is resistant to fluconazole.

propylene glycol is a common irritant in many creams and lubricants, even medicated brand names prescribed by your friendly ob/gyn. it's particularly damaging for menopausal women. it is hard to find products without it. AVOID IT!

here's an article that goes into more detail:
http://www.jfponline.com/pages.asp?aid=5296

the website is www jfponline com in the part that is **********'d out.

,
I think I have this but have not been able to find a doctor to diagnose me I have seen allergist,gastric,obgyn, dermatologist and physician's. I itch like crazy I do not have a healthy intimate life because of it I'm depressed all the time and can not stand my self for this it's hard for me to take care of my family and I can't even get help for myself what should I do? At first I thought it was candid then gluten but I have been tested for fructose, Bacteria overgrowth,celiac deisease all have came back negative. I did go on a gluten free diet before all the test's and found great relief but minor itching still nothing has gotten rid of it completely. What should I do?
I have had this painful and irritable disorder for over six months now. I was going to the doctors several time before I was actually diagnosed. by this time I was in a very bad way, cut up sore and full of rashes where they had spread from my vagina to my anus and even my upper thigh where it was so difficult to walk let alone get through everyday life without needing to itch and being uncomfortable. in the beginning I was told that I had re-occurring thrush as I had all the symptoms and went through all the STD and STI tests that deemed negative. so I was constantly going back to the doctor for thrush tablets and creams, a couple of weeks after i was so fed up and saw a different nurse, she diagnosed me straight away and gave me a steroid cream and an epaderm ointment to apply to the area. the treatment creams do eventually help relieve the inflammation but it always comes back again and this problem really is endless, i avoid washing the area with any kind of fragranced products and just use water if anything and i wear loose pants so i am doing exactly what the doctor said. i just really hope there is a cure as im sick of being uncomfortable and irritable and sex well that's the last thing on my mind. need all your advice, thanks!!!
I've just being diagnosed with vaginal and my dermatologist gave me a cream called lotriderm did anyone's use it ? She said I need to do it everyday for a week and then once every other day and then once a week and hopefully I can stop it altogether x
I am having irritation in my privates which I personally believe is eczema.  I have a 15 year history of yeast infections and I was on monistat when this additional irritation began.  From what I understand, yeast creams can cause eczema.  I thought the yeast wasn't clearing but my culture came back negative for yeast.  I think monistat cleared the yeast and then caused eczema.  I am going to have a biopsy to verify that it is eczema.

I have a history of eczema in other parts of my body.  The only thing that ever worked for me was hydrocortizone in a cream form.  The petroleum based textures (ointments) never worked for me even if the hydrocortizone dosage was the same.  Prescription topicals never worked either.
ok as someone who has suffer with this disorder all her life here's whatyou ladies need to do.  First its not something you're going to get rid of. Second you want to STOP using any soaps with fragrance in the vaginal area, i'm sorry but if you're flared up its not helping its just prolonging any flare up you have. Start using the aveeno ezcema (eczema) body wash or baby wash(yes I said baby wash or get the packets you can put in your bath water) Not only does it make your skin softer but it stops the itching and helps you heal. Next put moisture in the area, by putting your medicine on. You need to use topical steroids in the area. If you have a yeast infection you want to get that taken care of as well. Also pay attention to your medications your taking and the foods your eating, they may be causing your flare ups or the yeast infections.  Also if itching is a major issue, your derm can prescribe medication to help you stop itching.  Last stop asking the  gyno about a skin condition. You wouldn't ask the skin doc about having a baby. Hope this helps.  
Hi, I suffered from vulva eczema since the beginning of last year when my menopausal symptoms started. My periods become extremely irregular n I frequently hv cold n hot flush. My vulva was swollen n itchy with no discharge. The itch caused me to be awake  throughout the night.  I hv tried antihistamine, cortisone cream etc. See doctor 5 to 6 times but never fully recover. Hv tried washing the area with tumeric, vinegar n baking soda but the results never last. Recently, I hv tried a few things n condition seem to improve. I started taking burdock supplement twice a day, evening primerose once a day n tumeric juice with lime on alternate day. I wash w aqueous cream n apply physiogel on the affected area  when drier, I apply aloe vera gel on the affected area. So far, the itch has began to die down n I manage to hv a few hours of sleep for the past few days. I really hope this will help me in the long run. I dont know exactly which is the one tt is working cause I tried all of them almost at the same time. Praying hard tt this is a good cure fr such a fustrating issue.
Hi, I have suffered from vulva eczema since the beginning of last year. The itch was so bad that I hardly sleep for more then 2 hours without waking up n scratch. My eczema was on the outside of the vulva n there is no discharge. It started when my period become irregular n menopause symptoms start early last year. I hv seen dictor 4 to 5 times but the steroid cream work n the antihistamine work only when use. After about a month, I need to go back doctor n they will give me stronger steriod cream n the cycle goes on. I hv tried washing the area with tumeric, vinegar n baking soda but it helps only fr abt an hour or so before the itch return. Recently, my condition hv improved after I hv done the following: I took burdock supplement twice a day, evening primrose supplement once a day, tumeric juice three times a week. On top if that, I wash the affected area with aqeous cream, apply physiogel after washing then when drier, apply aloe vera gel. Now the itch has sibsided by quite a bit n I could finally sleep fr 5 hours without waking up in the middle of the night rubbing n scratching. I really hope tt this is the solution. I will continue this routine. If it works fr the next half of year, I will repostagsain.
Plain water mixed with baking soda is a great cleanser and has helped me tremendously. Petroleum jelly and 1% hydrocortisone ointment is better than the cream. Must do this for a month , it worked for me,i hope it works for you. Good Luck. Yes, you must give up all the soaps , bath oils, ect. And yes, lol, my dr gave me this treatment.
I am only 17 and I am ready to get sexually active, only if it wasn't for my darn vaginal eczema!! I have had the condition in other areas of my body such as inner elbow and the back of my knees, for close to four years now. I use E45 cream and haven't even heard of the other creams mentioned here. I've noticed though, that the eczema begins in spring along with my other allergies and continues all through summer. I hate the discomfort it brings and I especially hate that I'm way more anxious than most girls about getting intimate with my boyfriend. Atleast now I know I'm not a freak of nature, so let's continue to try and find solutions. I will.
some natural things to help:  olive oil. ... aloe... aloe wont stop the itching what it will heal if you had scratched really bad.........

I just went to a dermatologist and he give me a cream named TOPICORT. Is my second day using it and I feel GREAT! Now my only hope is even when I'll stop using it won't come back.... Or is there a way to get rid of it for good!!!!???  
I started with vulva itching since 2010. FINALLY now 2014 I went to a dermatologist he gave me Topicort (steroid cream) to treat eczema. AFTER YOU GET TREATED with a cream/shots/pills.... go to the link below!! cause we can't use steroids forever ALOE is a cheap, easy, natural, solution.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/3834-need-treating-eczema-with-aloe/

I hope I can help someone with this info. cause I was once desperate, irritated, crying, angry, going nuts like everyone in here... GOOD LUCK!
I Have had the itch, scratch, burn syndrome for 9 years off and on with sometimes scabby areas.  I have tried everything!  Recently, I tried "Gold Bond Powder" it was applied 2-3 times a day for about 1 week.  I have no problem now, nor have I  . . .since I stopped applying.
I am symptom free.  If it should start again, I will pull out the Gold Bond Powder. Although, I think it did the trick :-D

judyj199
oh Gail---do you mean to tell me there is no "CURE"???
this last bout has been unbearable!  no sooner get some relief when it pops back up again!  awful oozing in the vaginal area that I (& drs). can't control.  GYNO said age related vaginitis and put me on Estrace cream
3 x per week (1gr)   helped till this last bout.....Dermatologist has me off all meds now and has recommended Balmex (OTC)..and if that doesn't help,see the PA again (3rd time) after spending new year's eve day in the ER....heard of using yogurt for relief BUT I am looking for a cure!
I have the same problem; have you ever tried removing all gluten and dairy products? As long as I avoid anything with gluten or dairy, it is controllable. Sometimes I get bouts of stress from work or home and I'll have another flare up.
Ask your doctors for celestone cream, its a potent steriod cream. I had instant relief after suffering for months!
Just wanted to say, I am still "symptom free" for over a month or so, after 9 years of itching, burning, etc. . . .. . .  Thanks to "Gold Bond!"  I only used it for a week or two, and don't use it any longer.  I will, if symptoms return, but they haven't.  I feel so happy about being FREE from the misery of this skin problem.
I have had this also for a long time which my doctor kept telling me was Thrush - it is not !  I too have had Betnovate and this is what helps me every time.
My dermatologist gave me something that cleared it up! My problem began 2-3 months ago like a yeast infection. I tried using monostat, but it didn't help. I went to see a gynecologist, she prescribed me an antibacterial cream to insert into my vagina, but the cream would drip out and create moisture around the outside. After 2 days, I developed an intense rash. It was awful! Itchy, red, swollen, and blistering. I saw another gynecologist and she said it's a vaginal eczema and prescribed me Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream (steroid cream). I felt relief for a few hours, but it didn't help much. I even experienced an intense burning sensation on the first night of using the cream. The rash actually got worse. I finally saw a dermatologist and she prescribed me Fluocinonide 0.05% ointment. It cleared up so much faster! Within 2 days, I was already feeling so much better. The redness was going away. It's been about a week now and I feel like myself again. I hope this never comes back!
I've had regular run of the mill eczema my whole life, and I've dealt with it easily. Since having my second son on 29th November 2013 I've been getting bouts of vaginal eczema/dermatitis. It seems to raise its ugly head every 2-6 weeks. Originally I was told its thrush and I treated it as such, however this made it way way worse. Finally a Dr correctly diagnosed me the end of march. He had a specialised cream made for me and I use corticosteroid ointment as well as taking a steroid tablet during a flare up. I also use an over the counter numbing ointment for the real bad nights so I can get some sleep. I am hoping that this has only occurred because of my hormones being unbalanced because of my breast feeding my son. I am going to continue breast feeding as I can handle the uncomfort if it means me baby is getting the best start possible. Good luck all. Xx
Due to no health insurance, I am self-diagnosed with vaginal eczema.  
I have had eczema all over my body since the day I was born, but as I aged the symptoms lessened to the point that I rarely ever have any spots--except on my vaginal area, which has been tormenting me for about 20 years now.

About 15 years ago, my mother mentioned to me that a lot of people with eczema have allergy to aloe.  I experimented with aloe & found out that FOR SURE I was one of them aloe-intolerant people.  And it doesn't surprise me that I only had vaginal irritation for the last TWO decades, & not my whole life (I am now 40) because it's been only within the last 20 years that aloe has become a staple in almost EVERY beauty product.

I am sharing this with you all--a bit late, but hopefully someone who is browsing the web for a solution to the same problem can benefit from this.

Now I want to list some of the items that aloe is in, as I myself was amazed at my finding while trying to weed out aloe in my hygiene:
Some bathroom tissue--toilet paper--has aloe.  It may not say it on the package, but I recommend calling the customer service hotline to make sure yours doesn't.  It's added to give the tissue softness.
Almost every triple-blade & quadruple blade razor.  It's in the moisture strip.  Dollar Shave Club has a triple blade that doesn't have aloe.  I only use their blades now.
Hair gel, styling mouse, lotion, shampoo, conditioner, soap.
Some girdles--believe it or not, some girdle makers CLAIM the aloe helps you lose fat while wearing it.
Condoms--yes, some condoms even use aloe in the lubricants.
Baby wipes.
Shaving gel.
I'll tell you the pain I've had for the last 11 years trying to get my partner to quit using his Aveeno aloe & flaxseed hair gel & to quit using them Bic blades with aloe.  It has made my sex life absolute HADES b/c with all the aloe he was using on his body was causing severe irritation on my labia.
He's finally weeded out the aloe, but only because *I* went out & bought him all the  shaving supplies, hair supplies & paid for the monthly order from Dollar Shave Club.
I'm telling you, you will come across 3 types of partners:
1. Those who don't care
2.  Those who think you're making more out of it than what it is.
3.  Those who think you're lying about the problem.

You have to stand alone on this & do what you can to promote your own sexual health--because apparently no one else will care.

Also, I want to say that the only thing that's helped me is Lysine Plus cream--meant for the lips on the face, not the vaginal ones--from Quantum Inc.  Just dab lightly with it, it's way too expensive to apply liberally.
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers