Ulcer on Penile Shaft

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Ulcer on Penile Shaft

I have developed a small (about 5mm) round ulcer on my penis shaft. It started to occur during a period where I frequently masturbated. Since it has formed I have stopped masturbating. It has been a week though and the ulcer hasn't healed. I am becoming worried that the cause is something much more serious. It is red and glossy looking, but not irritating or painful. The borders are well defined, and it is slightly raised. I have researched penile lesions and their cause. However, I am not sexually active and the symptoms don't look like those of cancerous ulcers. I have read that trauma caused by masturbation can cause such lesions. Is this true? and if so do my symptoms indicate that? I plan on seeing the doctor, but until then I was hoping for more insight on my problem to assuage my worries.
Also would a picture be helpful? I'm a bit cautious to send one but if it can help solve my problem I will.

This discussion is related to 5mm slow healing ulcer on shaft of penis.
Yes, vigorous masturbation can disturb the skin on the penis just as clothing rubbing on your skin vigorously can irritate the skin. What you're describing, however, sounds more like a sebaceous cyst, or even an inflamed follicle. Is there any pus or yellowish-white fluid coming out of it? Can you see an ingrown hair? And did you shave that area recently?
From what I can tell it isn't a cyst. It's basically flat against the skin. Also, there is no pus or discharge and there are no follicles near the area, so I doubt its an ingrown hair. To me it really just looks like a blister that's been popped, but it has taken so long to heal that I'm getting worried. I've examined more pictures from the web and my sore looks  identical to many syphilis chancres I've seen. This is obviously a bit frightening, but like I've stated I'm not sexually active. I hadn't even kissed a girl within 6 months prior to the first signs of the sore. Is there any way syphilis can be contracted non sexually? Are there any non sexually transmitted infections that have a sore like I've described as a symptom?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

In the absence of a significant sexual history, lumps and bumps on the penis may be superficial skin irritations that could have been infected. An overlying bacterial or fungal infection may be considered. Genital warts may not be likely unless you have warts in other parts of your body. Molluscum appears as shiny and small round bumps but they frequently occur in clusters and they do present with central depressions or umbilications. Molluscum may  spread through direct skin to skin contact much like warts. Do you know anyone with a similar skin condition? Molluscum is caused by a virus and may also present atypically (that is without the central depressions).

This does not sound like an STD however, STD and other infections  are still differentials. I suggest that you have this assessed by your physician .You may need oral antibiotics for this .
To my knowledge, none of my close friends or acquaintances have skin conditions similar to the one I'm describing. In the case that I have an infection like Molluscum, will the virus eventually run its course or should I still seek assesment ASAP? I'm currently away from home, therefore it may be another week before I can go back and see my physician. Also, the sore is beginning to heal up slightly. What should I do if it has completely healed before I can see my doctor? Will he still be able to assess the situation if the sore is gone?
By the way, thanks so much to everyone who has responded. This discussion has really helped me since I'm away from home and unable to see a doctor personally.