Aa
A
A
Close
Unbearably Itchy Legs
I am a 27 year old female and ever since I can remember I have had a problem with my legs itching unbearably. It is sometimes so bad that I just want to cry, and when I was younger I did cry. It is the worst after I shave my legs, but it also happens after a shower without shaving, sometimes when I go out in the sun, sometimes when the air is cold/cool (including air conditioning), sometimes after I go swimming in a pool or the ocean. It seemed to go away for a long period of time, but then it started again. It is sporadic and I cannot figure out the cause. I have tried changing laundry detergent, soap/body wash, lotion, shaving gels/creams, razors, and nothing helps. I have also tried anti-itch creams lotions and powders. The only thing that does seem to help when cold air or a shower bring on the itch is wrapping my legs up in a blanket and about 15 mins or so later it will finally stop. I don't get any kind of visible bumps or rash with it, just horribly torturous itching. Has anyone else experienced this and found a solution?
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
563773 tn?1374250139
Hello,
It can be due to neurodermatitis. Neurodermatitis develops when nerve endings in the skin become irritated, triggering a severe itch-scratch-itch cycle. Common causes of nerve irritation include an insect bite and emotional stress. I suggest you to get an examination done from a dermatologist of the symptoms persist.  The other possibility which needs to be ruled out is of parasthesia skin.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dermatology Community Resources