Underarm infection

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Underarm infection

Under my arm i have a bad skin infection. after i shave under neath my arm it starts to irritate and go all red. the next day i wake up and they turn into pimples all over where i shaved. i get these awful lumps and they really hurt. im really imbarrassed and i dont know what to do about it. i have stoped shaving for a while but all my friends do notice that i dont shave underneath my arms. is there anything you can do to help me?

This discussion is related to Irritated Underarm Rash.
From the symptoms they sound like infected hair follicles or folliculitis. Please keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove. Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical antibiotics such as mupirocin or neomycin containing ointment are also useful. In case the symptoms persist then oral antibiotics may be needed. Please consult a dermatologist in that case.

In future also, when shaving, shave in the direction of hair growth, get some facial scrub and vigorously scrub bikini line area twice a week. If you notice any ingrown hairs, you can attempt to squeeze and pluck them out and they will then heal spontaneoulsly. Also wear loose-fitting underwear and clothing.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.