Understanding Herpes Test Results

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Understanding Herpes Test Results

So I went to the docs and asked for a herpes test. When I got them back she said I had herpes but did not distinguish between which one (hsv 1 or 2). My results are as follows

Result name.      Normal.    Abnormal
Herpes I and II.                        36.6

I get cold sores from time to time. Never had an genial outbreaks. I Currenyly have a rash on my chest and I'm wondering whether that could be an outbreak...please if anyone could help, thank you.
It is not clear whether it is herpes 1 or 2 but if you are having cold sores then it can be herpes 1. You need to get some investigations like sample from the sores to identify the virus, culture analysis, Tzanck smear, antigen and antibody studies and blood sampling for antibody studies done to confirm the diagnosis. My sincere advice would be to consult a dermatologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.