Undiagnosed rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Undiagnosed rash

My 5 year old has a rash that has not been diagnosed despite having been seen by many doctors at our local hospital.  He is not receiving any medication.  The rash appears as pink rings a clear center approx 2cm diameter.  The rings join to form unusual shapes on his trunk.  The marks in some parts of his trunk have faded after a few days but there are always lots more.  His trunk - front, back side are covered with a pink, raised markings.  The rash started four weeks ago and has now moved up his neck and on to his forehead.  He was tested for rheumatic fever but results were clear. He also had a skin scraping which was negative.  When taking the scraping the doctor noted that it was not scaly and therefore unlikely to be fungal.  The rash is occasionally itchy.

This could be some insect bite, eczema or bacterial skin infection or ring worm.

He could take oral antihistamine medications for the itching and apply calamine lotion at the site.

Has he been vaccinated for his age?

It would be best to consult a skin specialist as nothing can be said with surety without having a look at the lesions.

Let us know about what the doctor advises and post us if you have any other doubts.

Regards.
He has been vaccinated and there are no obvious insect bites.  The doctors who have seen him said it is definitely not ring worm and the skin scraping came back negative for fungal infection.   There are no skin specialists within 4 hours drive to our town so photos were emailed to the nearest city two weeks ago, but I have not yet received any feedback.  It was his sixth birthday today and the photos have this rash moving down his face.  All parents and children wanted to know what was the matter. The rash has also started to move down his legs.

I was advised that antihistamines would not help, but since nothing else has been suggested I will give them a try.  Thank you for your interest.