Unexplainable Rash... help me, pls!

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Unexplainable Rash... help me, pls!

3316454?1219515621
I have had a strange rash for a month - over the legs, in articulation areas and in front of my thighs. The rash is worst on the back side of the knee articulations.

At first the diagnosis was POISON IVY and I took Pradnisone for 12 day. There were a kind of relief, but after pills the rash started again.

The second diagnosis was BACTERIAL FOLLICULITIS. They gave me a Pradnisone + Sulphameth/Trimethoprim for 30 days, but on the 8th day - the rash started again... and they gave me a Pradnisone shot. On the day after the rash became worst.

Now I am taking just Sulphameth/Trimethoprim, but I am afraid it doesn't help me at all.

I have started a new job and I can use my insurance in the end of September for a biopsy and other tests.

I HAVE TOOK PICTURES OF MY RASH FROM THE SAME BEGINNING - here I am submitting the 8-23-2008 one.
I would like to get opinion what the rash looks like. I still don't have any final diagnosis.

Thank you very much!
Does your rash itch, run water, break out where there is any seeping? Is it still spreading or has it just stayed in the same spots where they first came up? Had you been in the woods or brush the day before the rash started?

It seems that from the areas you have your rash you wore shorts and got into something you are allergic to. We have what they call the Virginia Creeper here and also a wild plant that has orange flowers. The Va Creeper has leaves that come from the center with 5 leaves. They get red berries about the fall of the year. I don't know what the orange flower one is, but I think the old people called it the 7 yr itch. Either way they are very difficult to get rid of and they do not respond to poison oak or ivy treatment. If you could go to the area you were in (long pants, long sleeves and gloves) and find what you walked in and get a sample or several of what is there that you do not know and take it to your doctor, that would help. I would look on the computer for plants that causes skin rashes to see what is in your area. If you reconize any you could have been close to or touched, put them in baggies and take them to your doctor. One good treatment, home remendy an old lady told us about, and it does work, is to gather acorns, put them in a pot with enough water to cover them. Bring them to a boil then let simmer until thickens or gets good and dark. Let cool. Apply as hot as you can stand it on the rash and let it set. Don't wash it off. My daughter has done it many times, since she was a child and it has always worked for her. If the doctor treats it, they use something else that is not used for oak or ivy. I had a spot that broke out every year like the plant grew. Go away in the winter and back in the spring. The doctor reconized it, it never spread, just stayed in the same spot. He gave me a salve for it and it cleared right up. Remember never burn any plant that you have allergies to. I did that once and broke out inside and out. The doctor said never do that because the sap travels in the smoke. Hope this might help you.
RJ233,

Thank you for the reply.

I spent some time outside taking pictures before rash started at first, but it wasn't in the wild - it was a park and I were wearing long jeans and trainers. Only my hands were naked... I didn't touch any plants.

The doctor things it more looks like infection. I will try to have e biopsy this week - just to check bacteria option.

I am afraid there is unclear doctor position - allergy or infection...

Probably I will pass a lot of different test in the beginning of October when I will have insurance. But I can't wait so long, so I will cover the biopsy myself. I hope I will get some more information after.