Unexplained scratches appearing on body

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Viewing 201-262 comments:
I have been having these "scratches" intermitantly for many years. Smetimes a few appear in a week but then it can be months before another one is visible.

They are mostly on my lower legs as a line of small bright red dots under the skin that sometimes join up and then turn into a normal scar. I have recently had a few on the back of my hands and i actually saw a faint one appear on my forehead. It looked like a vein bursting or something.

Like one of the previous posters I too have vitiligo, along with an under active thyroid, which I suspect to be auto immune related.

Doctors are no help with the scratches and don't appear to be willing or able to make connections between the conditions.
i am suffering from the same scratches long and short on arms and legs i dont sleepwalk and am getting it since two months
i am suffering from the same scratches long and short on arms and legs i dont sleepwalk and am getting it since two months nd same feeling of sumones presence nd m forgetting hell lot of things nd cant sleep i see stupid things nd things going on in mah head i wake up every hour
Walking with my disease brother in a dream when we came across a strange animal that looked like a cat. I warned him the animal looks dangerous. Then it looked to me and attacked me on my left side of my back. The next day in the afternoon I felt I constant brining sensation on my back. When I looked there were 4 long thin lines that were over 30cm long. The lines were crossing my back in a downward direction.
I took a photo and showed a family member.
For years this was happening to me but this time it was the longs scratch marks.
Many times I will feel an animal jumping on to my bed when a go to sleep. I sleep alone and have no animals in my flat. It follows me on my holidays. In the beginning of the year I was badly scratched on my face and the back of my neck.
Similar story... Last week whilst in the bath I noticed that both ankles were covered in tiny scratches. All more or less vertical and all approximately 1cm long. There must be 50 on each ankle within an area of approximately 2 inches wide by 3 inches high. They appeared to be partially healed. I have absolutely no idea where these came from and they do not seem to have healed much further in 5 days. It's totally bizarre. What's even weirder is that my friend had stayed over the night before and the following morning asked my to check her back as she had woken in the night with the feeling that something was clawing at her back. There were no matks though to see. I don't believe in a lot at all but this has totally creeped me out! X
i have recently experinced these symptoms i showed my mum and she said it was most likely the cat about 5 minutes later she said show me again and there was no more scratches then she had the same scratches on her someone please tell me what the f*** this is
hey, i have this same problem. wanna email me about me?
a couple years ago i discovered 3 deep long scratches on my back. there is no way i could reach and make them as long as they were. nor as deep as they were with just my fingers. not to mention no blood. this was 3 years ago they're scars now not as long but still very visible. can anyone explain this? or has anyone had the same experience?
Same here.  Trust me, it is spiritual.  I'm not religious at all but I've had symbols and letters appear and disappear in the mirror while my wife (a medical practitioner) and I are watching.  Not sure what it all means but I began doing research and found that others have experienced the same things, exactly.  I've taken pictures and they showed up fine (to include the golden orbs that sometimes float about the room while it happens.

I have found one way to avoid the scratches, but it's not much better...put the tips of your fingers in ash or something really black like charcoal dust and the 'writing' on your skin will be in that substance and not scratches.  That's all I've got.  Best...
the marks are really annoying.... mine use to appear and sometimes it doesn't... but I noticed if am in my sisters house the mark appears everyday and on all part of my body. sometimes even my face. a friend told me it's spiritual, but my mom said it's not, dat she got the scratches when she was young too. but it later stopped.
i m still getting those scratches even after so many months. and doctors on this site are suggesting me few diseases names .i googled thier images they are nt at all what am suffering of...what to conclude?
I have the same story  I had scratches on me thigh when I woke up in the morning  I got scratch on my thigh one long and the one the is short next to each other. I can't figure it out how I had scratch in there I had short nails is there's no way to scratch self ,before I went to sleep in night I took a shower and I don't c any scratch in there or burning in that part and went to sleep then when I woke up I went to the toilet next time I knew I felt burning in there when I looked at it is and two scratch like cat scratch I don't even have no pets how really that happen! Couple months before that's  happen I found my 3 months old daughter under the crib I was freak out when I woke up I didn't found her next to me in the bed I turn the lights on I look her from the bathroom everywhere and when I look under the crib she's in there sleeping so good I was so scared I grab her right away., I really don't know how that happen because she's only 3 months old she could crawl or when she fell in the bed I didn't heard her she's cried.... Please anybody help me here I need an answer!
Look into scabies, dematographism, and morgellons (not just the Wikipedia article on Morgellons).
Alicia I've just ordered Happy Jack dip.  Could you share how to dilute it. My son and daughter-in-law are welcoming their first baby, my first grandchild in a couple of months and I want to make sure that I can get rid of this scourge before my grandbaby arrives.  My home is thoroughly cleaned, I don't understand how I may have become infected, except that I work in an office where we assist people from all walks of life and we recently had a bed bug outbreak.  
My little niece, 8 years old, needs your help please.  She was diagnosed with “a variety of herpes virus, maybe shingles” back in September, and was very ill with lots of pain and a rash.  For the last 3 months, since late October, she has been suffering from spontaneous bleeding and unexplained splits/cuts/scratches - whatever you like to call them- ever since having the flu jab. The condition started the day after the flu vaccination, when my niece told her Mum that her finger tips "were going to explode" - each finger started bleeding soon after.  This was followed, over the next few days, by bleeding from her toes.  Ever since then, she has been experiencing splits in her skin.  These 'scratches' appear mainly on her legs and arms, but have also been on her tummy, her back and on the back of her neck.  This week they have started on her face.  the She knows exactly where the 'scratches' are going to appear - my sister has taken lots of photos of each stage - redness followed by splitting skin. These scratches are nearly always a series of three very straight parallel lines, very narrow - as if done by a pin - very close together, usually about 3 - 4 " long.  My niece is just a little girl, and is extremely frightened, because no-one seems to be able to help her; she is also in great pain and feeling terribly ill.  Last week she temporarily suffered a terrible spasm and lost all movement in her arms and legs – it gradually came back over the course of the night. My sister has taken her to numerous doctors and specialists, but no-one knows what it is. She has had the whole spectrum of blood tests for everything from leukaemia/platelets/ vasculitis/Lupus/Lyme disease/red and white cell counts -- everything -- all have come up negative.  This, of course, is good news, BUT no-one can tell us what IS causing the 'scratches'.  She is definitely NOT self-harming - my sister has even tried to replicate the marks on herself and can't do it.  These incidents of skin-splitting have happened at home, at school (on the couple of days she's been well enough to go), in the car and also at my Mum's house. There is just no way this bright, funny, clever little girl could do this. The condition improved slightly when our doctor prescribed steroids - 5 days after the first pills, the bleeding stopped and my niece felt much better.  The doctor wants to get her off steroids ASAP though, and every time the dosage is reduced, the bleeding starts again - this week she has gone down to one pill, and the splitting/scratches has started on her face - something that hasn't happened before.  This week she has also had blisters appearing on her body - my sister says it looks like the herpes virus rash my niece had before  (My niece was diagnosed with shingles in early autumn - before she had the flu vaccination -- is there a connection?????).  I am really hoping someone out there can help us.  I am particularly interested in talking to anyone who has experienced similar "scratches" -- have you had shingles and/or another form of the herpes virus?   Have you had the flu jab?  Have you had swine flu? (My niece had swine flu 3 years ago - can the virus lie dormant???) Have you had allergic reactions to the flu jab?? Does anyone know of any link between the flu and herpes viruses???  Has anyone contracted shingles since having the flu virus, or heard of the flu vaccine ‘triggering’ shingles.  Do you know of any evidence of these 'scratches' being a symptom of the herpes virus??  Do you know ANYONE who can advise us?? We are desperate for ANY help that ANYONE can give us.  My niece is so scared that yesterday she actually asked my sister “Am I going to die, Mummy?” Thank you for reading this.
Kind regards, Janie
Lookinto scabies, Morgellons.  Sounds like some sort of infection or parasite.
hi i am ryan i am 14 and as i got home from school and sat down to watch youtube for a while i noticed a very painful looking razor cut with the blood dryed i would of felt it and i have memorys as a kid of a small demonic dark creature being in my room still not sure if it was a dreem i have recently moved 3 times for normal reasons but ever since i moved i have had no dreams what so ever can you please explain this
I'm having the same problem, I even have pictures to back it up (http://vulpes-roots.tumblr.com/tagged/mystery-rash)
They don't itch or hurt... they just appear. Why doesn't anyone know the answer to this? It's strange so many people are having the same problem.
Hi l"m sorry to hear about your niece.I am 63 and for about 7 years I have had a recurring itchy sore spot on my lower back.
My Dr. and I believe it is the herpes virus.I get horrific nerve pain on that Sid e before I get it.It ha s been twice this year.I also get scratches on my back and buttocks area.Very strange.I started to take vitamin b 12 as it is supposed to heal nerve and I haven“t had it as frequently.I hope you get some answers soon.Good luck.

There is NO WAY these are stretch marks! ...not even close.
You are absolutely 100% correct. I have had the same issues and your advice is on point. Most doctors will give a prescription for the permethrin if you tell them you've had the problem before and was cleared up by using permethrin. But if for some reason you get an idiot doctor or you just can't get to the dr office, then yes, by all means use the pet Happy Jack Kennel Dip and follow directions. It works just as well and costs less.
my sis have cuts on her arm n leg for no reason n they r painful plz tell me what's the reason of these cuts n why they appear on her body ...... is this serious disease ???
My sister keeps getting random scratches on her body, on her lower arm and one long thin scratch reaching all the way down her arm. She says she feels a burning sensation on her skin, and when she looks later, the scratches have formed. Is this the same with you? She's an English 17 year old.
I would really like to get those pictures from you. I think I might have the same thing as you do. Your email didn't show up on the post. I would really like too email you about it. Thanks
I have suffered from  the unexplained scratches for many years.  It comes from a problem with their adrenal gland.  I had Cushing Syndrome and several doctors could not figure out why I was having the symptom of "Unexplained Scratches on my limbs," bruising, rapid weight gain, insomnia and other symptoms.  I eventually was diagnosed with having a benign tumor on my Adrenal Gland that causes Cushing Syndrome.  After tumor was removed, I still suffer from the unexplained scratches at times, but it is after eating too much sugar.  The adrenal glands sit on top of your Kidneys. I have noticed when the scratches appear and feel that it is directly related to my diet. Kidneys and liver cleansing.  SUGAR and Stress is what is causing the scratches.  The diagnoses from the Cushing Syndrome calls it "Striae."  I am aware now that I do have another small tumor on my other adrenal that  may be causing the scratches but it is not sever and does not need removal at this time.  You need to see a Endocrinologist .  Here is the information that may help you •Cushing's disease, when the pituitary gland makes too much of the hormone ACTH. ACTH then signals the adrenal glands to produce cortisol. Tumor of the pituitary gland may cause this condition.
•Tumor of the adrenal gland
•Tumor elsewhere in the body that produces cortisol
•Tumors elsewhere in the body that produce ACTH (such as the pancreas, lung, and thyroid)  .  Nothing Paranormal.
See my post today.

You need to see a Endocrinologist .  Here is the information that may help you •Cushing's disease, when the pituitary gland makes too much of the hormone ACTH. ACTH then signals the adrenal glands to produce cortisol. Tumor of the pituitary gland may cause this condition.
•Tumor of the adrenal gland
•Tumors elsewhere in the body that produce ACTH (such as the pancreas, lung, and thyroid)  .  Nothing Paranormal
See my other post today.
•Tumor of the adrenal gland
•Tumor of the adrenal gland
•Tumor of the adrenal gland
•Tumor of the adrenal gland
We had no idea when we moved to our house someone committed suicide in our bedroom. I wake up with rash-like scratches on my arm just around the wrist. I also took a photo in the house and to my surprise, a small man with light orbs were around him.   I am worried now.
Let me ask you, please do tell me how you know these things and I am very interested in where you get this information. I am not mocking you, but completely want to really know how you got this information. Thanks.
I recently just got three days ago 13 scratches along my hip thigh area on my body. I never got scratched by anything there I did not injure myself yet I got scratches that seemingly came out of nowhere.
I have the same mystery scratches issue. After a lot of looking around the web and finding only the oddly comforting same complaints as mine here I decided to look up parasites and skin scratches. I am betting what we are experiencing is parasitic. These little buggers attach themselves to humans unobserved by us in all sorts of ways through food we eat, dirty hands, sitting on bed in clothes we've worn in the street all day, failing to scrub/wash our skin daily, not thoroughly washing feet after a day in sandals, etc.-- all kinds of ways. So, you might want to look up some remedies by googling/binging "parasites and skin scratches,"  "itchy nose," (this is how I made the parasite connection). I am no doctor nor a medical pro, just an ordinary woman with a big interest in demystifying personal anomalies before invite the medical profession into the picture and make my situation worse.
I've got herpes and I have exactly the same cuts you people describe, I cant come up with any other explanation, im not exactly super messy either and I doubt very much that it is done by any bug or parasite or other stuff, I do have an old mattress in my bed so maybe a small chance of being like a parasite or something but I put my money on herpes causing these kind of cuts just not sure how  
Me too as I've noticed this the past 3 years where I get a scratch mark on either 1 of my arms or leg or finger. It happens around July - September for me. I leave my fan on to help my room be cooler and My floor bed has soft material with no feathers noticed.
Thank you. I appreciate the information you provided.  I hope it will help me. I have had unexplained scratches.  I am sensitive to sugar...not diabetic.  These scratches just started appearing about one month ago.  They dont go away unless I cleanse them with isopropyl alcohol on a regular basis.  They are not scabs.
Viewing 201-262 comments: