Unusual growth under toenail...

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Unusual growth under toenail...

A few months ago, I noticed what appeared to be bruising underneath the toenail of my big toe.  When I showed it to my mother (an RN), she didn't recognize it, but my father said it looked like a wart.  I've had warts before, and it did seem to be one, so I tried to use salicylic acid gel to remove it or, at least, reduce the size.  It seemed to work well enough, until I started trying to clip the toenail around it and it burst like a blister (and to say that it hurt is something of an understatement).  I searched online for fungal infections, but nothing seems to fit the bill.  It only covers about a quarter of the space under my toenail, and there is some discoloration (a slight yellowish-brown tinge), but the rest of the nail looks completely normal except for the part that's been pushed up by this growth.

I am at a complete loss, and there isn't a dermatologist in the area that I can make an appointment with, at least not for quite some time.  Does this sound like anything?

(I'm also very sorry if I've done something wrong.  This is my first post to this community.)