Upper Arm Itch

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Upper Arm Itch

I am also very relieved to see that I am not the only one with this problem. It happens mostly at night
shortly after going to bed,  however it has happened at different times also. I noticed though this forum that there is a high incidence of back problems also with this condition. I have had back problems also for the last 10 years with 2 back operations for herniated discs. I have found that anything touching the affected area just seems to make the situation worse. Ice does help though. Both arms react athough usually at diffferent times. Sometimes it won't happen for ages then it happens for days and days. Thanks for the help.

This discussion is related to UPPER ARM ITCH-I'M NOT CRAZY EITHER.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

This upper arm itch ,is this associated with a rash?

If yes, how would you characterize the rash? Is it reddish? Is it flat or elevated?

Are there vesicles or lesions containing fluid?

What triggers the rash?

Is this associated with food intake, change in temperature and any intake of medications?

Do keep us posted with your answers.
I have had this upper arm itch for about 10 years. it only occurs in non-winter months. I,too, have seen dermotologists and doctors...no cause found and no relief.
My mom and brother also have this itch.
...no lesions, no rash. just an insatiable itch that scratching makes worse.
I have had back problem for 15 years, having had 3 surgeries..could this be the cause? I do believe that it is nerve related. The itch is NOT on the surface, but seems "in" my arm. it only occurs on my left, upper, inside arm...about a 4 inch area.
I read on this site that Zostrix helps. My mother also says this is the only med that she gets any relief from.
Wow;  wish we could all find relief.  There has to be soemone trying to find out what this is and what works.  The first time it happened,I was pregnant with my daughter and she is about to turn 14.  NO more kids so that wasn't it.  It definitely gets worse in the summer months(I live in Florida and am a marathon runner) so I wonder if it has anything to do with sweat.  I describe it to people 'like someone rubbed fiberglass on me"  I am sitting here typing with 2 icepacks...one on each arm....seems to be the only thing that works:(
Wow, to think I have this to look forward to.....my itching started only 2 weeks ago and it has driven me crazy.  I awaken sctaching .  It comes and goes throughout the day and as others have mentioned, ice really helps.  I'm thinking of just letting nature take it's course for a little while longer, as it is apparent that I will be wasting my money on any lotions or drugs.

We had gone to FL for a vacation.  I got sunburned.  That was mostly all gone by the time this all started but I wonder if it was the trigger?

Bonnie
I just found this site and cant believe all the folks suffering with this condition..I too, have experienced upper arm itching on and off for 5 yrs....it is insatiable and tho ice works ok Ive been prescribed CLOBEX , it seems to work better than anything else I have tried.....I too live in Florida, Ive been told its neurdermatitis, or related nerve, neck issues..anyway Clobex is a strong steroid cream or spray...but it seems to relieve the itch mostly, which rules out nerve issues.... Its crazy but knowing Im not alone is a relief....O the clobex cost 102$ and thats with my insurance!! NO generic yet...
My husband came up with a theory of dehydration.  I think is correct.  As I mentioned before I am a marathon runner that lives in Florida.  I sweat like a 500 lb man, seriously; even though I am a 117lb female.  Anyway, I now drink as much water as possible throughout the day and put lotion on my arms at least 4 times a day.  It does seem to help alot.  But we are talking  drinking ALOT of water.
It's called brachioradial pruritus. Occurs mostly in summer months. May be phototoxic condition (sun) and/or cervical spine.  Nerve damage has occurred. Neurontin often used.  Look it up on google Scholar. Lots of information about it.