Upper arm itching

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Upper arm itching

My symptoms started back in the summer...omg ....my itching is internal just right under the skin on upper arms it can happen at the same time or just on my left arm....the itching can make you crazy....burning tingling & prickly VERY INTENSE!! you will scratch until you bleed and I have scared my upper arms now because of it...The itching to start at anytime of day...Just last night my left arm started itching when I went to bed....started around midnight and I scratched until 2 O'clock....my arm is so sore cause you slap it to try to get itching to stop....you rub it trying to keep from scratching....but nothing works you have to scratch only thing that helps.....it you try not to scratch....it is so intense you want to scream, kick and holler....you get so mad from the pain it is so unreal....not sure what this is...but it only happens to my upper arms in the same spot every time....there is no rash or bug bite on arms before the itching starts....just happens out of the blue, only thing that relieves me is Ice bags to numb the area...but I have to keep it on arms for like over a hour to really get relief...this is crazy....my spots are right below the shoulders upper front side,,,,like I said can happen to both arms at same time in same spot....usually it is my left arm but when they both itch I could just end it....Very Painful!! Anyone found out yet what causes this?

This discussion is related to UPPER ARM ITCH-I'M NOT CRAZY EITHER.
One of the possibilities for your symptoms is of brachioradial pruritis. Brachioradial pruritis is an intense itching sensation of the arm usually between the shoulder and elbow of either or both arms. The itch can be so intense that sufferers will scratch their own skin to a bleeding condition.
The main cause of BRP is not known but there is evidence to suggest that BRP may arise in the nervous system. BRP may be attributed to a neuropathy, such as chronic cervical radiculopathy.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.
I am a fellow itchy upper arm sufferer or WAS, let's hope.  Itched and itched mostly at night for 9 weeks now.  Was reading the forum blogs about BRP and neck issues.  Decided to revisit my upper cervical chiropractor.  I was "out" meaning the Atlas bone was found not level so he adjusted me using the Sonic method.  Only a few specialist advanced orthogonal chiropractors do this.  Most use other methods that don't work as precisely as sonic.  Your organs are connected to the nerves going into your spinal column from your brain and if your Atlas bone (first one holding your brain) is crooked then the space is pinched for your spinal column nerves and they are affected.  I am hoping that my itch was the result of this pinching since my atlas bone was crooked today before the adjustment.  I had 3 dimensional x rays.  My Atlas, first bone below head, is now level and both my legs are the same length again.  I have had no itching so far and my arms scratched raw in places are relaxed.  I was taking hydroxyzine HCl which helped but made me drowsy and haven't taken any today since last night.  Hope this helps you and others with this awful and painful itch.   I highly recommend getting to an advanced orthogonal chiropractor who has studied to use the sonic method developed by a Dr Roy Sweat years ago.  There is one in St. Pete, FL; one or more in or near Atlanta and one I know of in Franklin, TN near Nashville. Note:  Now on day number 2 since day of adjustment Aug23,2013 and have had almost no itching.  Praise God!
And to JJ915 and all other Itch Suffering Folk.  So glad you got relief too, lyneer.
And to lyneer and Smiddle.  This is Oct. 29, 2013 and I have been free from itch since Aug.   Treating the itch with creams, herbs, oils, ice, drugs etc. only gives you temporary relief since it only treats the symptom which is the Itch itself.  Don't you want it to Stop????   Then treat the Cause.  I am not a doctor or related to any of these that I am telling you about; in fact, I thought chiropractors were quacks.  Not True!!  Please search out  an advanced orthogonal chiropractor who has studied to use the sonic method and please have your Atlas adjusted.  All the nerves that flow through C4-C6 flow through your Atlas first.  The Atlas bone being level and straight is critical for best health and to eliminate pinching of the nerves at the neck level!!!  There is one in St. Pete, FL; one or more in or near Atlanta, GA and one I know of in Franklin, TN near Nashville, TN.  I know this method works miracles for some people because I have seen 3 people in my family with diverse problems including blindness, seizures and numbness, chronic sinus-nausea-migraines....all healed through this method....not always immediately, but definitely healed as long as they kept their Atlas in place through adjustment (meaning level and not crooked, see former Aug 23 comment).  Very important to go to an expert, see Aug23 comment.  My heart goes out to each of you.   I had terrible itching for 9 weeks and do not have it now (10/29/13), as long as I keep my neck adjusted.  May God bless you and give you the courage to try this.  It does work!
Thank you for advise!  I have BRP, and have spent HOURS researching, reading for days and nights.  In my quest to be proactive, I have tried 2 dermatologists, a neurologist, internist, orthogonal chiropractor.  I tried neurontin  Sarna, Amlactin, and Biofreeze- minimal relief.  I use Thaibalm (order online) on arms in conjunction with ice packs at night to help me function, and works temporarily. I finally went to pain management, Dr. Ordered cervical  MRI.  The area of what I refer to of nerve 'jolt', followed by intense itch is the same  dermatone  of C4-C6 nerve impingement, disc irritation and possible spur.  Today I had cervical cortisone injection!  I am confident this course of treatment is correct for my BRP.  I hope others will be helped by my information.  BRP seems to be misunderstood in medical community, because it is exacerbated by heat/summer/sun, but is neurogenic in nature.  
Several years ago this started happening to me also. I was told It was bad disc which I believed because I had a broken spine at one time. I have tried creams ice lotions ,you name it. A few months ago I was cleaning my desk w/those Clorox disinfecting wipes in the round plastic canister (they come in a 3pack also) and while cleaning and itching I wiped my arm with a clean wipe desperate to find relief , wouldn't you know it I swear almost on contact the itch stopped. I thought it was in my head. So I wiped it again really good and called it a night. That was about three months ago now and this is the first time in several years this itch is gone. I mean I know its gone because its just not there. I M O : I believe something is actually living on the skin or something I don't know. I am a well to do person , very clean and I could not understand why any doctors could find out what was wrong or causing this. This was the worst itch I ever had , it had no rash except for redness when I scratched the heck out of it. But that was the thing once you started to itch it would just get so bad so fast! But it really would not spread and just stay really to a certain area just above my elbow.
So Please people try this...it sounds nuts and you think it cant be that easy....this may be the same thing many of us have......Please try it and let me know~!