Urticarial Vasculitis?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Urticarial Vasculitis?

Good day! My mother has a kind of rash for about a week now which a doctor said that it is Urticarial Vasculitis. Another doctor said that it is Erysipeloidal Cellulitis and seemed very sure of himself. The problem is that she has some problems in the lower part of her left leg (some small boils - ulcers of 1-2 cm in diameter).

I'm really bad at describing the disease, so i've taken some pictures. The problem first came out about five months ago (the left leg ulcers), she went to the doctor and he  them, recommended some meds but the situation worsen. The current treatment is with antibiotics (Augmentin, Cephalexin), Detralex, Vessel Due and Pentoxi Retard.

The thing that scared me was that last time the doctor said that it isn't an infection but a kind of allergy or even lupus, thus he recommended treatment with Prednizone and Hydrocortisone. That seems very serious stuff for me and i'm very skeptic about this treatment. Please, can you have a look on the pictures below and point me (and her) in the right direction?

Thank you very much.

Initial situation (4 months ago): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gg31cijkr6ofscj/wkTmRkLf0s

About 2 months ago, after the doctor "scratched" them: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ef3sk5lxshdrwc8/ZrRwtSq08Y#/

Current situation (with rush all over her body, but her face): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/98k44aflicxpj51/HKRTcDHYMH
I have seen the pictures and it looks like urticarial vasculitis but to confirm the diagnosis, certain tests need to be done. These include CRP, ESR and skin biopsies. Tests may also be done for Anti-Nuclear Antibody (ANA) levels (which are positive in 30 to 50 per cent of patients), and Anti ds-DNA levels may also be positive.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Typical punched out ulcers of vasculitis.
Thank you very much for your responses. In the meantime, my mother was examined by another doctor (a very trusted one) and gave her a treatment based on Prednisone. She's better now, the rash has disappeared, the leg looks way better and the ulcers seem to reduce their diameter. However, she took the biopsy and we're currently waiting for the result.
Nice to hear this. Best wishes.
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers