Dermatology Expert Forum
Vaginal Skin Tear

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Vaginal Skin Tear

I just wrote a couple days ago and appreciate your kind advice. I do have some paranoia about stds definitely even though I am in a monogamous faithful 3 year relationship. My paranoia comes from my own anxiety and fear from reading many websites and generally scary information sources. I do have a valid question though. My boyfriend and I had sex last night and this morning, there was oral sex, as well as he put his hands down there briefly. Now, after reading your response to my folliculitis question, I was feeling relieved. I took a shower this morning and noticed I felt some discomfort when cleaning. I looked down there and actually see a skin cut/tear/laceration. I wouldn't be concerned if it was near the opening because I can tear a little with sex, and was not 100% lubricated b/c I am on the pill. This tear is just above the genitals in the thin skin area folds that are just right around the genitals. It is an actual open laceration/tear. It looks like an open cut/crack, looks wet, and red. It is about 1/8" long. There is no yellow stuff that I see, it looks like it's bleeding but when I put a towel on it, nothing comes off except clear wet if anything. I don't want to be that girl who runs out and gets a herpes culture at the drop of a hat--but should I be concerned? Is this likely from sex or something else? This area is usually dry and flakey and gets itchy. But I haven't shaved this area in probably 4-5 days so I haven't been itching lately. It's like it just appeared out of nowhere! I truly don't like worrying and would really like to get on with my life.
As I think you should.  As best I can tell without examining you, I think your recent observation has to do with irritation, not herpes or any other STD.  If you need more reassurance, you'll need to see a doctor in person, but I don't think you need a herpes culture.

As I'm sure you realize, there is no rational reason for you to be this worried about herpes if you're monogamous.  This suggests either anxiety in you or suspicion of your partner.  Either way, counseling may be worth considering.  Otherwise, these bouts of worry may well just keep coming every time you see some minor change.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
This could be a case of inverse psoriasis. Visit www.anmolnaturals.com/magnet
A related discussion, vaginal tears was started.