Vascular malformation on lip

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Vascular malformation on lip

Hi Medhelp,
As the result of a childhood accident, I have a round, red, raised scar in the middle of my top lip. It was swolen for a few weeks when it happened and ever since there has been a reservoir of blood behind a layer of healthy but lose skin. It is 8mm by 8mm and raised about 2mm. The tissue underneath is not sore or numb. There is a tiny hypertropic mark either side which has created a hard ridge, but very small. If I drain the blood it returns. The two layers of skin are separated and have always been. It seems like the reservoir fills up only because 'the liquid fits its container'. What can I do to rejoin the epidermis and dermis so that it does not fill up with blood and in my common sense, the two layers of skin will rejoin and shrink a little making for a better looking, if not totally ignorable scar?
Many thanks for your response,
Andrew
It could be due to a pyogenic granuloma or hemangioma. Some doctors prefer to treat with chemicals (TCA, podophyllin, phenol, silver nitrate). Laser surgery can also be done. Best treatment is however surgical excision. Please discuss these treatment options with a dermatologist.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.