Dermatology Expert Forum
Very Dry Skin--What to Do?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Very Dry Skin--What to Do?

For the past 20 years (I'm 36)--I've suffered from what seems to be very dry, sensitive facial skin.  I have tried every moisturizer on the market ranging from cheap to extremely expensive.  I've consulted with salons and tried lotions that seem to work on all their other customers but not me.  I've tried using facial cleansers instead of my usual Dove soap.  Nothing works.  Here is my routine.  I shower and wash my face with Dove soap.  When I get out I pat my face so it is still damp and I slather on Vaseline.  I do this morning and night.  This is the ONLY thing that keeps my face from flaking.  Everytime I tell someone I am using vaseline on my face, they cringe.  I've also read that you should not use petrolatum on the skin as it will clog pores. I have absolutely no problem with pimples (maybe one per year) and makeup does not seem to bother me--in fact, foundation seems to make my face feel better.  BUT, most moisturizers (except for the Vaseline) irritate my skin after a few days. I will get kind of irritated looking on my face and get some little bumps that will disappear quite fast if I quit using the lotion.  Right now I am using a product (moisturizer) by ROC under the vaseline that doesn't seem to be causing an irritation; however, if I use it without the Vaseline I feel like my face will crack.  Can you please tell me if there is something I could use that would help and if the Vaseline is bad for my skin?  The only thing I really notice is that my skin looks dull and dead most of the time (due to Vaseline?).  Again, I've tried just about everything out there including the AHAs in an effort to slough off dead skin.  I've also tried scubbing, not scrubbing, drinking lots of water, etc. I'm just looking for a good moisturizer!  The skin the rest of my body is dry, but not abnormally so.
Christine
Christine:

You give a very nice description of eczema of the face.  This looks dry and feels dry, but is inflamed, not dry.  Moisturizers are therefore irrelevant, as you have found out.  (By the way, vaseline does not clog porse, though most people find it too greasy for their taste.)

What you need, I think, is intermittent use of a mild hydrocortisone product.  Start with a lotion containing OTC 1% hydrocortisone.  If it stings a bit at first, don't worry.  You should get a lot better in just a few days.  If that fails, see a dermatologist about a prescription for a stronger version.  

Good luck.

Dr. R
Dear Christine --
   Hang in there, sister!
   I used to have this problem myself, except with a side order of acne now and then.  If it's non-irritating sealants you want, have you tried Dermasil lotion (a Vaseline prod.), Theraplex stuff (industrial-strength, very good consistency), or even chapstick?  Waxy and/or dimethicone-oriented ingredients helped me out a lot.  I hope you find the type of stuff that works for you.
I have dry lips and dry hands--especially the dry
lips which just showed up a couple of weeks ago.
I am using lip wax, but it does not seem to remedy
the problem.   Any suggestions? Thank you.

Hi Dear,
        I have problem when people see me they say to me you look pale. What can I do for this? Thanks.
i have knots forming on my arm and one in the groin area. They are red and head up like a boil type thing but the doctor doesn't think it is phlebitis they are very tender and sore. I had one that healed up on my forearm but then received one more on the inside of my elbow and groin area. Now the one on the inside of my arm is starting to spread with more knots forming around it and if they do head up and open white and light reddish stuff comes out.
HiI have very itchy sink .I wonder if special kind of soap that get the other soaps off my body? what is good laurdry degerent for itch sink?(for colthes)the last soap I was using ,made me itch I change soap already!>bye bye lori
I have had really dry hand all my life. I am now 43 years of age. I use Neutrogena hand cream all the time and it does provide relief for a while. They are not flaky or peeling and don't feel rough. However they look rough and take on a redish appearance at times. I think the skin is looser than most. I would love to be able to have my hands looking nice. The rest of my body skin,including my face, is soft and young looking. I have very few true wrinkles on my face and look a lot younger for my years...except for my hands. Thank you.
What's a good product for re-occuring ring worms?  HELP!
hi

my face is realy oily. i have tried many creams,soaps. what should i do now. Iam really depended on you

thankyou
hi

thankyou
The palms of my hands are dry and they crack - I need a moisturiser that goes in, stays in,not greasy - does one exist?
For dry skin try Porter Lotion 1-800-806-1161 around 12.00 for an 8.45 oz. I've tried many different products and have found this to be the BEST!! good luck.
After all these years with oily skin,I am now 67 yrs old ,I got an itchy rash on my forearms mostly,but a few small patches here and there about the size of a quarter, The more I scratch them the itchier they get , Went to the doctor he says dry skin he prescribed some steroid cream for two weeks,and then to use Eucerin lotion on the affected areas, also change to dove bar soap in the shower ,no hot showers either,That was two weeks ago It seems to be clearing up the problem, somewhat ,I wished I knew if I am lacking something or what is going on that I am drying out like a prune. Tell you more later.
i have very dry skin and it itchies burns and i break out i have tryed baby oil and all most every kind of lotions they all break me out what do i do /

go to www.sunjess.com/dryskin
This really works!
I have had these dry patches under both eyes right above my cheek bones.  I try several types of creams which only helps a little but always comes back very quickly.  I try to scrape off the dead skin while it is moist while in the shower only to leave a very pink area.  It seems to be never ending and I wonder if this is a sign of some deficiency or etc?  There is also one more place on my face that does it, and it is on the area to the right of my left eyebrow.   I am a 28 year old male and have never had problems like this in my life.  What the heck do you think it is.  This has been going on for several months, if not at least 6- months.  

e-mail ***@****

Hi, I'm 19 and my skin has been fine all my life, but a few years ago I moved and ever since, same time of year (around sept.) my skin on my face gets irritated.  I get little red bumps under my eyes and around my mouth.  I really dont understand what the problem is.  I do know that soap seems to irritate it.  I have tried cortizone and moisterizers, but it doesnt seem to help. Does anyone know how to treat this?  I appreciate it, Thanks.
I have had a condition for about 11 years which while it is hidden has caused me a great deal of discomfort over the years. I have very flakey skin around my testicles and at the base of my penis. Although I have used Dermovate, Betnovate and various other creams, the flaking skin does not go away and nor does the irritation. The skin seems to just drop off each morning but regrows within 12 hours after which it again just drops off. Any kind soul know of a remedy for this ailment?
my five year old daughter has developed dry skin at the end of her fingers and toes.she was prescribed a steriod cream,but it doesn't seem to have worked.the skin has started splitting and is causing her pain when she walks.
if anyone has any ideas what the cause/condition could be, could you please e-mail me asap .thank you for your time.
e-mail   ...... hoppy_1966***@****
The skin is red and dry its peeling off like a sunburn skin.
I am 56 yrs. old and I have had dry skin problems all over my body since I have been a child. I have tried many, many lotions
and the only thing that seems effective is what I have been using for several months. I use Vaseline Intensive Care-- Advanced healing. I use it in the morning after I shower, then I apply it again when I return from work, then before bedtime. I have not had hair on some parts of my legs for 30 years and maybe the ladies won't care to hear this but recently it has been growing back. You must be consistant and don't give up.
It works!
A related discussion, itchy,flaky and dry face was started.
I've got very dry skin on my hands I put lotion on but it seams to cut up I've changed my soap and I put sodo cream and e45 is that any good? Please reply here's my email ***@****
A related discussion, Dry, flaking skin on face was started.