Very Dry scalp!

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Very Dry scalp!

When I was in 4th grade I started noticing dandruff in my bangs. I could see the dry skin there and growing up it was only in my bangs but over the years I noticed it going more over the top of my scalp. Sometimes it'd be worse and my hair would itch bad and I'd have dandruff and I thought it was maybe just in winter when it's more dry but about 2years ago when I was living in MS on the gulf (not dry area at all) it was horrible (winter and summer)! I was waking up in the middle of the night just to itch my head and people say to wash your hair every other day so I did and my hair could start to get oily, but my scalp was still dry, itchy, and flaky. I don't use hair products, I almost never blow dry my hair. I started using organic shampoo & conditioner. It's just gotten worse! Once it's reached about 24hrs since washing it starts to itch and by the end of the 2nd day i'm miserable! About a month ago I also bought some Hair Nourishing Serum from a health store and eventually combined with tamanu oil (cuz my 3yr old daughter has bumps on her arms and thighs that I can't get to go away either and the guy said maybe I could try that since it made another girls severe acne go away they call it miracle oil and cremes from the dr hadn't helped he) so I thought maybe mix that with the nourishing oil, and then added extra virgin olive oil to it, i've also tried tea tree oil thru the years.. Anyways, first couple times I used this nourishing serum it seemed to help it feel better but now I'm using all kinds of oils and massaging them in and letting them sit for hrs before I wash my hair and it just helps it not be AS bad. Do you have any idea what is wrong and what could help?? I also have sensitive skin and since I was little used to scratch my legs til they bled cuz they'd be so dry, now I know to use lots of creme (and fragrance free at that) and that's better. But I can't really lotion my head every day.
I'm really miserable with all this and my insurance doesn't cover dermatologist, and I think the closest ones are hours away anyways.
Although flakes are attributed to dryness, they're actually caused by oil.  The skin on your head is some of the thickest on the body, with one oil gland for every hair follicle.

I've seen Neutrogena's T-Gel used alternately (every other day) with Head and Shoulders shampoo work well.  Additionally, treating the scalp by exfoliating away dead skin cells much like on facial skin can bring relief.  Finesse makes a Revitality Scalp Balm and you could probably find a scalp mask over the internet.  Aveda makes Scalp Remedy, which is best used at night based on experience. These products are also okay for sensitive skin, again from experience.  

If these OTC treatments don't work and if you have the ability, see trichologist experienced in hair and scalp health.  Hope you see relief soon.
From the symptoms it can be seborrheic dermatitis or eczema. You can treat flaking and dryness with over-the-counter dandruff or medicated shampoos. Shampoo the hair vigorously and frequently (preferably daily). Active ingredients in these shampoos include salicylic acid, coal tar, zinc, resorcin, ketoconazole, or selenium.

If the symptoms persist,then it would be best to get it confirmed from a dermatologist. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.