Very intense itching of the scalp/shoulders/neck

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Hello, I am in desperate need of some information here. Doctors that I have visited have basically said that I am on my own and have to live with this very extreme and often frightening condition.

During exercise, exertion, blushing, or just 'feeling hot or warm', I get an attack of extreme itchy scalp. My scalp does NOT itch most of the time, it feels quite normal. It ONLY itches during exercise, exertion, blushing or feeling hot. My doctor tried to rule out allergies because he said if it were allergies, the itch would not be only in my scalp, neck, and shoulders.

I do not have dandruff or flaky hair. There is no visible rash when I get an attack. There is no redness whatsoever, and I emphasize that this itch is not a constant condition. It occurs ONLY during the times and activities that I described. These bouts of itching last anywhere from 30 seconds to a few minutes. It is also rather extreme when it does occur. I would say it occurs once or twice a day, depending on how often I feel "hot".  I also seem to get these sudden bouts of itching more often when I am living at home rather than at college which is about 2 hours away.

Please, any input would be appreciated. This is driving me crazy and I am completely desperate to find a solution.

Thank you