Very itchy groin area no visible rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Very itchy groin area no visible rash

For the past few days my groin area has been very itchy, and since yesterday its gotten much worse (last night was almost unbearable,made worse because I continued to itch it). Its primarily my scrotum that is itchy, but I also feel itchy in my anus, butt, inner and outer thigh, and penis. There is no visible sign of any rash, other than a little bit of redness that occurs when I itch too much.

The only problem I have related to this is a couple weeks ago I was experiencing very painful urination. I saw a doctor and had some tests (it wasn't an STD) and was prescribed some antiobiotics which eventually relieved the pain and now I feel almost better. However about the same day I finished the antibiotics the itchiness began and now I am rather frustrated.

One of the things my doctor told me I could have is a yeast infection inside my penis, and thats what was causing the pain. This could be brought on by excessive sweating (and in general I do sweat a lot in the groin area) and from what I read a fungal infection could be caused the same way and be the cause of the itching. Does this sound reasonable? And if its the case whats the best way to treat it?

Oh if it helps I also work at a coffee shop and am always moving and sweat a little bit. Over the past year or so it has been common for me to develop a rash/irritation between my legs where they rub together and sometimes my anus as well. I've used baby powder for prevention and occasionally an anti-rash creme if the redness too much. Also switched from boxers to boxer briefs for work when I feel the need and it helps a bit.

I always assumed this only had to do with the irritation of the skin rubbing together and not any kind of greater fungal infection. Just throwing it out there if it might be relevant, thanks.
Yeast, fungal infections, jock itch are all pretty much the same thing and can be treated with Lotrimin.  

If you haven't tried the new sports type underwear like Armour All and Dri Fit and many other brands, I have heard they are great.