Virus Causing Pimples?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Virus Causing Pimples?

Hi there!

Until recently I had no problems whatsoever concerning my skin. I went through puberty without ever having to worry about pimples because those few I had never troubled me.

When I was 21 I shared a flat with a 19yr girl who was suffering from recurrent outbreaks of cold sores on her lips. Apparently I got infected with the Herpes Virus Type 1 at that time, because I started to develop cold sores as well and for the first time in my life.

I started using all kinds of lotions to try and stop outbreaks from occurring, but they nonetheless were a rather regular thing in my life ( I had them at least once a month)

To cut a long story short: At around the same time I started to get nasty, painful and pus filled white pimples on my forehead and cheeks spreading to my neck and upper body. At first I thought them ordinary pimples and fought them with clearasil and other quite costly products. The situation continued to deteriorate and lots of different approaches found using moisturiser twice a day a potent weapon to fight those spots... Cold sores are a thing of the past for me at the moment and the few white-heads I get are bearable. (though still quite painful and nasty)

However, I noticed that my pimples spread to members of my family and my boyfriend. In a way that middle-aged adults suddenly suffered from pimples again and my father, brother and especially boyfriend got bad "razor burn" redheads that just never go away.
The typical Herpes outbreaks in the area around the mouth however is not a problem for anyone...

So my question is: Is it possible for ordinary-looking pimples (white-heads) to be caused by a Virus infection and if it is how can this be treated?

Thanks a lot guys!

Sarah
Hi, I read your story and I'm sorry to hear about your skin troubles.  I know what that can be like.  I have a similar condition that has never been diagnosed but I've always wondered if it is just caused by herpes.  I get pimples near my mouth, which turn into white heads, around (but never on) my lips.  I also get small bumps on my forehead and sometimes large lesions near my temples.  It *****.  One thing you said though, that your cold sores were a thing of the past, I was just curious if they went away on their own or if you made some lifestyle changes that phased them out.  I would be really interested to know.  Thanks and good luck!

-Dan