WHITE SPOTS ON SKIN

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

WHITE SPOTS ON SKIN

About a year ago, I went to a tanning bed for the first time. I went about 2 more times until I saw that I started forming white spots around my knees and the back of my arms. I stopped going to the tanning bed but the spots kept spreading. I went to 2 different doctors and both of them told me to wash myself in selsun blue medicated formula and handed me anti-fungal cream to put on twice a day. I did both for about 2 months, and still nothing had changed. The only thing that helped was that it stopped itching. But now the white spots are alll over my legs, buttocks and arms. Im still not sure what it is. Many have said it was Tinea Versicolor but from my research I have only seen that it effects the neck, back and chest. Not the limbs. It will be 1 year in October since first getting the spots, and Im just so sick of having them. This last month I took a trip to Jamaica and DOminican Republic, every picture had white spots. They are so visible. Please help! Anyone!!
Avatar_dr_f_tn

I understand that this may be discomforting.

Tanning beds expose you to UV radiation and UV may affect the skin. In some cases it may cause burns, affect thin membranes of the eyes and sensitive areas like the face. It may cause skin dryness and discolorations. At this point, we still need to rule out a fungal infection as this is the more common skin condition associated with tanning beds. Fungal infections or yeast infections may present as white patches on the skin and may present with mild scaling. However, if this does not respond to the antifungal medication, I would suggest that further evaluation be done to rule out vitiligo or even postinflammatory hypopigmentation.