DERMATOLOGY
COMMUNITY
WHITE SPOTS ON SKIN
by peggy_p, Mar 15, 2007
A FEW YRS AGO I STARTED GETTING A FEW WHITE SPOTS ON MY LEGS NOW THEY ARE SPREADING TO MY THIGHTS AND FORE ARMS AND MORE ARE APPEARING.I'M AFRAID I'M LOSING MY PIGMENT ALTHOUGHT I DO GET IN TANNING BEDS IN THE SUMMER TIME ALTHOUGHT I DON;T ABUSE THE TANNING.IGET A TAN THEN GO ONCE OR TWICE A MONTH TO MAINTAIN MY TAN TIL COOL WEATHER SO COULD THIS BE A FUNGUS AND WHAT CAAN I DO TO HELP GET RID OF THESE SPOTS,THEY REALLY LOOK BAD WHEN I TAN BECAUSE THEY DON'T TAN AND REALLY SHOW UP.THEY DON'T ITCH OR FLAKE AND YOU CANT FEEL THEM THEY ARE FLAT WITH THE SKIN.
Member Comments (200)
by DennyAnn, Mar 16, 2007
It could be vitiligo-it's a condition where the skin pigmentation is lost. A  famous celebrity  (MJ) allegedly has it- not that this is any consolation. However, it would be best to discuss this with your doctor.
by k10hill, Mar 17, 2007
I once had small white spots appear on my back and chest and my doctor told me it was some form of fungus that could come from using a bath towel more than once (which i commonly do).  He told me to buy dandruff shampoo and wash the areas with the shampoo until they were gone.  It worked like a charm.  
by suebeagle, Mar 19, 2007
I had this same issue and the Dr. told me to rub a creme for athlete's foot on it every day after I took a shower.  It worked great for me and also for my son.
by dolvid, Mar 29, 2007
My sister had white spots on her back and arms and her Dr. told her it was a fungus from HER going to tanning beds. Apparently they don't sanitize like they should. She prescribed her some kind of cream.
by Randi08, May 15, 2007
I have had these white spots and they have slowly spread through out my body .  some have become bumps and some even have brown around them...they itch extremely bad
by captdebbie, Jul 08, 2007
I also have white spots on my legs.  I have had them for about 20 years now.  I was told to use selson blue on the spots.  I think I will try it.  I am very tan, but have never been to a tanning bed, only the sun.  I heard from some one that it is a fungus.
by lizat30, Jul 31, 2007
I have white spots that started on my chest and now is all over my back and shoulders.they are in patches.I was told it was skin cancer.
by chellybeans, Aug 01, 2007
that's is most likely not skin cancer at all. it sounds like tinea versicolor possibly. google that term and look at the images. if that's what you have it is a fungal infection that is often times caught in tanning beds. that is absolutely not the only place people catch it, but common. and it is very very common on the chest and back.

easily treatable. you'll need a prescription.

skin cancer comes by way of scaly sores, weird bumps , lesions etc.
the abcd's of melanoma should be known to you.

look for
a=assymmetry(if you divide a spot down the middle one side looks different than the other, like one side is much bigger or shaped different.
b=border, most lesions should be typically uniform around the edge, sorta rounded. if a lesion looks like a fried egg border it needs evaluation
c= color, more than one color, odd colors etc. very dark spots are not always a problem and are often normal
d=diameter. if it is bigger than 2mm or a pencil eraser it should be checked.

also sudden changes, itching, bleeding, texture changes, bleeding or swelling should be looked at.

you can search the american academy of dermatology and search for tinea versicolor to get more information about what it sounds like you are describing.

hope this helped :)
by OldWmnNaShoe, Aug 04, 2007
I think if you'll check with your physician, you'll probably find out it's something called Tinea Versicolor.  It's a fungus and easily treated with oral meds.  I noticed you posted in March, I seriously hope you've sought medical help by now.