WHITE SPOTS ON SKIN
A FEW YRS AGO I STARTED GETTING A FEW WHITE SPOTS ON MY LEGS NOW THEY ARE SPREADING TO MY THIGHTS AND FORE ARMS AND MORE ARE APPEARING.I'M AFRAID I'M LOSING MY PIGMENT ALTHOUGHT I DO GET IN TANNING BEDS IN THE SUMMER TIME ALTHOUGHT I DON;T ABUSE THE TANNING.IGET A TAN THEN GO ONCE OR TWICE A MONTH TO MAINTAIN MY TAN TIL COOL WEATHER SO COULD THIS BE A FUNGUS AND WHAT CAAN I DO TO HELP GET RID OF THESE SPOTS,THEY REALLY LOOK BAD WHEN I TAN BECAUSE THEY DON'T TAN AND REALLY SHOW UP.THEY DON'T ITCH OR FLAKE AND YOU CANT FEEL THEM THEY ARE FLAT WITH THE SKIN.
It could be vitiligo-it's a condition where the skin pigmentation is lost. A  famous celebrity  (MJ) allegedly has it- not that this is any consolation. However, it would be best to discuss this with your doctor.
I once had small white spots appear on my back and chest and my doctor told me it was some form of fungus that could come from using a bath towel more than once (which i commonly do).  He told me to buy dandruff shampoo and wash the areas with the shampoo until they were gone.  It worked like a charm.  
I had this same issue and the Dr. told me to rub a creme for athlete's foot on it every day after I took a shower.  It worked great for me and also for my son.
My sister had white spots on her back and arms and her Dr. told her it was a fungus from HER going to tanning beds. Apparently they don't sanitize like they should. She prescribed her some kind of cream.
I have had these white spots and they have slowly spread through out my body .  some have become bumps and some even have brown around them...they itch extremely bad
I also have white spots on my legs.  I have had them for about 20 years now.  I was told to use selson blue on the spots.  I think I will try it.  I am very tan, but have never been to a tanning bed, only the sun.  I heard from some one that it is a fungus.
I have white spots that started on my chest and now is all over my back and shoulders.they are in patches.I was told it was skin cancer.
that's is most likely not skin cancer at all. it sounds like tinea versicolor possibly. google that term and look at the images. if that's what you have it is a fungal infection that is often times caught in tanning beds. that is absolutely not the only place people catch it, but common. and it is very very common on the chest and back.

easily treatable. you'll need a prescription.

skin cancer comes by way of scaly sores, weird bumps , lesions etc.
the abcd's of melanoma should be known to you.

look for
a=assymmetry(if you divide a spot down the middle one side looks different than the other, like one side is much bigger or shaped different.
b=border, most lesions should be typically uniform around the edge, sorta rounded. if a lesion looks like a fried egg border it needs evaluation
c= color, more than one color, odd colors etc. very dark spots are not always a problem and are often normal
d=diameter. if it is bigger than 2mm or a pencil eraser it should be checked.

also sudden changes, itching, bleeding, texture changes, bleeding or swelling should be looked at.

you can search the american academy of dermatology and search for tinea versicolor to get more information about what it sounds like you are describing.

hope this helped :)
I think if you'll check with your physician, you'll probably find out it's something called Tinea Versicolor.  It's a fungus and easily treated with oral meds.  I noticed you posted in March, I seriously hope you've sought medical help by now.
I have white spots also ring like spot that itch also i have being getting white flesh color pin sive mole dont konw what too do
i have had these spots on my legs and thighs and they seem to be getting worse but i do reuse my towel from the shower and the stories of all the people on this page have helped me i'll try selson blue as soon as i can and maybe that will do the trick.
I had these spots too. Went to the doctor and she told me it was a fugus from tanning beds, reusing towels ect. She prescribed me a cream to use and it worked for about a year and then they came back. I then read about tea tree oil and how it gets rid of any type of fungus and for good. Used it and haven't had any problems for about 5 years now. I haven't had to reuse either (and it's cheap).
I recently contracted the same thing some how. I did google search for white patches on the skin. I believe mine to be the following, Tinea Versicolor.

Here is a website you can check out. It's very useful.

Hope this helps,
Ken

http://www.medicinenet.com/tinea_versicolor/article.htm

I saw your suggestion of using tea tree oil to treat Tinea Versicolor...I've used it on cuts and scrapes and also ear infections...but never on my "spots".  I will definitely be giving it a try.  How often did you apply it and for how long of a period?  Thanks, Thomas
It seems that you should apply it on the affected areas and keep it there for about 30 min to an hour. On some websites it says it's good to keep it on for 12 to 24 hours, but it depends on the person. The selenium sulfide can cause burning sensations on the skin if left on for too long which hapenned to me in the middle of the night when I applied it over my body before I went to sleep.
oops, I was talking about the shampoo containing selenium sulfide...neeeever mind, but it's good anywayz.
Hi there!

I'm also experiencing the same problem and have got white spots on my lower legs. I believe that I've had them for about 5-6 years or so but it seems to have gotten worse and have spread to a wide area over the last 1-2 years. I'm a relatively fair person and its quite embarrassing too because the spots are very obvious - sometimes they even seem so white like they're almost luminous. But I dont think its psoriasis or any other conditions that I've looked up online because the spots are flat like the skin, they're not itchy and are just lighter in colour with no obvious borders around the spot.

I thought it was tinea versicolor and have been applying Nizoral/ketoconazole for the last 1.5 months. Usually after I apply, the spots become less obvious but this would only last for a very short period of time. I've been applying them twice a day but I noticed that sometimes when I only apply them once a day - the spots become even more obvious the next day! :(

Having said the above, I do believe that the spots have been improving in appearance and are less obvious than they used to be (albeit it seems only slightly). If this is really tinea versicolor - how long would it take for the spots to clear up?

Would really appreciate any help. Thanks!!
I think I have the same disorder. Since I was around 12 I have had white spots the size of bb's along my legs and arms. These aren't bumps, its basically like I lack pigment in these spots or something. All the more strange is that they're appearence is eratic, if I get exerted of flushed they are much more visible and ghostly white. Sometimes, like when I'm calm and not exerting myself, they disappear completly. But often it is very noticeable, and, perhaps because I've suffered much ridicule over , are especially noticeable when I get anxious or in social situations. I work out regularly, it has no affect but to make them more visible. Its truly becoming a curse, and I 'll be watching these boards very closely for a few days, hoping for something, any info about what this might be and what I can do to change it.
I have had this same problem with my skin, I just recently went to the Doctor for it and he let me know that mine aren't a fungus :( I wish they were. Mine do itch, and I don't lay out in the sun or do tanning beds, but if the skin on my legs or arms is exposed to the sun, my skin becomes itchy and they multiply. I hate the way they look. The Dr. told me that its skin damage from sunburns that I recieved in the past for laying out, and he let me know that they are never going to go away. Hes the second over the last 10 yrs to tell me....
Hey there

Just to let you know - I finally decided to get off my bum today and visit the skin specialist about my skin problem (though I did have to wait for 4 hours =_=" since the clinic also doubles as a popular plastic surgery clinic where ppl could get botox injections and etc).

Anyway, the doctor said that my condition is probably heriditary and said that the appearance of the spots would vary with the weather and what activities I am doing. Sometimes the spots are very obvious and sometimes may not be there. He said that the reason why this occurs is because my veins are very close to the surface, and thus becomes very susceptible to heat changes. Whenever my veins dilate, the spots would become more obvious. When the veins shrink, the spots will become less apparent.

There isn't any medication for it and he said that there is nothing to worry about it although it can get quite unsightly at times. He did say that at most the spots will go up until the knee level but it won't go beyond that - which is some extent of relief for me.
Actually, I think I know what your describing lyn. A kinda patchwork pattern of white splotches bordered by veins? I've seen people with that, but mine are small bb sized spots, no texture at all, and they become MORE apparent in the cold, and extend up to my upper thigh. Actually, sadly enough they seem to spread very slowly and are on my chest as well. I have asked a doctor about them, but I got a worse answer than you, something like "Don't worry about it". Thats all nice and well, but I hate explaining them to people who treat me like a leper. Oh well, could be worse, I could be a leper huh lol. I do believe that its just a pigment change for both of us, and we can't do much but deal with, but thanks for the info.

For white lesions of the skin the differentials would be pityriasis alba, tinea versicolor and vitiligo .

The cause of pityriasis alba is unknown , tinea vesicolor is a fungal infection , vitiligo has an autoimmune origin .

Pityriasis alba usually occurs in children and young adults and may have very fine scales in the center of the lesions.The lesion is usually poorly marginated. Tinea present as white lesions but on covered areas may be brown or reddish in color. Vitiligo usually occurs in the face, axillae and on the dorsal surface of the hands.The lesions of vitiligo is well demarcated .They may start as small patches and slowly spreads to new areas for months and years.

A dermatologist will be able to differentiate the lesions through a complete physical examination and diagnostic tests since most basis of diagnosis for these conditions is clinical.

For the mean time,you may avoid further tanning or long exposure to the sun until the condition has been diagnosed.
Just to add,

One of the more miscellaneous causes of white patches or leasions in the skin is postinflammatroy hypopigmentation. This is usually due to a previous insult to the skin like dermatitis,scarring processes and thermal burns.

Hypopigmentation may resolve and repigmentation follows depending on the severity of the previous injury.

This is just one differential that may be significant to note.

Have you had your consult already?

Do keep us posted.
I have just noticed these white spots on my legs and arms  (some the size of a pencil eraser but most are smaller)  It's winter and I'm not in the sun.  I have tried to research it on the web and they always talk about autoimmune disorders.  My grandmother had reuhmatoid arthritis and my mom has hashimotos.  does anyone think that that may be the cause of my spots?  
les, are the spots textured or raised? Or are they just pigment changes? Are they always visible, or is they're appearance random?
I have seen white circular  spot on my feet then gradually saw one on my upper and lower leg.  It's scarttered and not sure what caused it. TThey are about the size of a pencile point and do not itch or scratch. Please help its really frightening not knowing. I am planning to see the doctor but would like to hear what you think . Thank You
Anyone who have information or could help.
I AM BLACK AND OLDER,I BEEN NOTICED WHIT SPOTS ON SKIN LEGS BUT SPREAD TO THIGH AND ARM NOW , I AM WORRIED THAT IT WILL BE ON FACES, I SHOULD TO SEE DR.? BARBARA
MRQ
i have had white spots for as long as i can remember...on my legs, feet, and stomach. i recently started investigating the condition and had a crack with selsun (not selsun blue). I have been using it for the past month and am starting to see some changes, with the patches decreasing in size.

most of the forums say to keep it on for around an hour then shower but i have been keeping it on as often as possible. Although exposing the skin to selsun for around 15 hours a day creates a burning sensation, i believe i'm seeing results.

i hope this will help someone.
MRQ
OH and i also found before appling the selsun it is very helpful to scrup the top layer of the skin in the shower with a rough brush as this removes the dead skin and exposes the fungus!
im 16 and ive had these white spots for a while they are small bb looking spots they dont itch or bother me in anyway but my mom and a frnd of mine tell me its because i dont eat alot..can any1 tell me how 2 get rid of the white spots? tyvm!
Hello. I   have been getting white spots on my back. Just a few. I think they might be chickenpox scars and that might be it because they dont itch or anything. May be the same for you shreksb. Have you had chickenpox??
ya i ive gone thru tht already but these white spots i have ive had for more than a year
I have a six year old boy that started getting little dry white spots on his upper chest about one year ago but since then they have pread around his neck and all over his face. He tells me that they do not ich or hurt. Can anyone tell if this condition is curable or will it get worse.
Hi Was just wanting to know what is selsun and where do you get it and also the tee tree oil where do you get it?  thank you  In advance.
   Debbie
I too have tiny white dots on my arms and legs that stand out more when I get a tan in the summer.  It's not a dry skin condition but rather the absence of pigment.  I tried researching it on the web but only came up with virtiglio and autoimmune stuff.  I have hypothyroid disease and take
levothyroxine and was wondering if that has anything to do with it. No one in my family has it that I know of.  Is there anything that can help>
I try putting sunblock on my face so the couple that I get don't stand out if I keep the rest of the skin pale so the white specs don't stand out.  Any advise out there?
I too have the same condition, and also have your same throid problems and also take throid meds. Have you found any help for your white spots? They get worse for me in the summer.
I've had white spots on me for almost a year now. Started with one or two on my legs and thighs, but spread to shoulders/arms, butt, all areas of the leg, I have probably close to a hundred of them. They start out as a raised patch of bumps. If itched or irritated they become red. In a few days the red subsides and turn to a milky white. They do not necessarily itch, just at first. I've been to the derm and he prescribed a cream that hasn't helped at all. I haven't been tanning in close to six months, and I have found two new ones tonight and three new ones a few days ago. Although I was diagnosed with pityriasis alba, I am looking for what else it could be, so that I might find another treatment to rid me of these spots for good. I'm not an overly confident person, but my spots definitely make me feel insecure. :(

For a few years I have noticed that I had white, dry spots on my abdomen, chest, and lower part of my arm. They were not very noticable because I did not get a lot of sun and they would dissapear if I put shea butter on them daily. Last week I was in the sun and they became more noticable. My tan was uneven so I used a fake tanner and the spots became extremely noticable from the differece in skin color and they look a sort of cheetah pattern. How can I get rid of them?
I noticed white spots on my lower legs last summer as I got some clor with the sun. I have fair skin w/ freckles so I could have had these spots before but didn't notice until my skin got darker around them. They are flush with the skin, don't itch, and are smaller than a pencil eraser too. As I look closely, these spots seem to be 'taking over' the skin on my lower legs. I really think they have doubles since a year ago. I also notice several up and down my forearms. Being fair w/ uneven skin and freckles anyway, these spots aren't super noticable riht now. With summer coming, though, I remember how they almost illuminate to birght white as I get a little tan. I wish I could post apicture to see if this is what some of you are talking about. I think I will give the Selsun Blue method a shot....next see a dermatologist.

Does anyone know how long it takes to grow back pigment?
Hi.  I have been tanning since I was 16. I am now 29. I also have these annoying white spots since 3 years ago. I have no idea why or how but I was freaked out at first.  They did went away on certain days. I have noticed that now  they have been spreading on my thigs. Well end of last year I popped a zit and woke up with this painful big red burning lump on my thigh and I ended up going  to go to hospital. They had to drain it with puss. It was horrible. They perscribed me some medicince whitch kills most of bacteria. WOW it did work !!!! I had to take it for 7 days and after 2 days I noticed the white spots were no longer there. I thought that did it . NOT !!! They came back after I stopped using it. Overall,  I have to say that I guess that they do have medicince which works.  I heavent went back but I do still have the bottle with the name. Its seemed like that was the answer but I just needed to take it for more period of time. Also thank God I didnt get MERSA because that could usually end up bad for some people or deadly !!! I ready a lot about it and its no serious but it could have spread all over for some people. Thanks all of you for great advice!  I will definately try the tea tree oil . Where do I get it ??
I'm a black woman and I've been getting white spots on my face and body for the last year. Of course I don't use tanning beds lol. I also never use towels to wash my face, I aways use facial pads. I'm not sure what going on with my face and body. Most of you guys hav been saying to use dandraff shampoo. Not sure if I can use it on my face. Anyone have an idea on what I can use onmy face to get rid of the white spots?
one of my family members has white spots on his chest.. they are on the sides and one is a small round and the other one is just scattered... but no one in my family had any diseases as such... so what could it be?? and he is dark skinned and i dont think its because of the sun....
I just wanted to say, I'm so glad I came across this site. I saw my doctor today and asked him about the white spots on my arms that have been accumulating over the past couple of years. They are flat, white, small spots, and a couple even look like scars from something. My doctor rattled off something immediately and gave me a cream for it. Well when I got home I started trying to find what it was that he said. Low and behold, he called it Tinea Versicolor. Stop right there.  Thanks to this site, and a posting by KenBLAH Oct 30, 2007 10:44AM, who posted this website:
it led me to the following website:
http://www.dermnet.com/image.cfm?passedArrayIndex=8&moduleID=11&moduleGroupID=284
From the first picture, it looks exactly like what I have on my skin. It's called Idiopathic Guttate Hypomelanosis, or IGH. The cause is sun damage. In other words no cure. At least I now know that if I put this cream on my arms for a fungus, that nothing is going to happen except that it's burning and time to wash it off. I hope this posting helps someone else.

,
Hi There, I'm an asian and had a tan skin I have a lots of white spots on my face and neck I went to see the doctor 3years ago and told me they are only a fungus I tried a fungus medicine but nothing happen, I noticed that when I go to a tropical wether they are getting worse, what I remember I started to have this problem when I used to live in Alaska as soon as I got in a hot wether they get worse. I'm afraid that they are VIRTILIGO I hope not Please help me if you have some idea what kind of medicine you used..Thank you ..
I am 23 years old and I have white patches on my arms and upper back.  This problem has been with me for many years. During the summer is is worse cause I spend a lot of time outside in the sun and the patches do not tan.  I think it may be tinea versacolor, but these are scaly like pityriasis alba,  but I am not a child. This condition is getting much worse and is now in the crevice of my arm. I bought selsun blue today, and see how that helps, but I am unsure what this is exactly. I am not sure if the tinea versacolor produces dry white patches.  I also had severe excema as a child, and this looks like that, but not red or itchy, just the scaly part. Does anyone have any ideas?

By the way, everyone who has symptoms of white patches on their face, neck, and chest, it sound like pityriasis alba. It is an excema-like contrition.
Im 27 years old and have had these white patches on my bikini line, my upper arms,underneath my breasts and my neck and this started about 3 years now. I have gone to my doctor and he said it was a fungus but nothing else was explained to me about it. It does not burn, itch, flake or bother me at all, it only bothers me cause of how it looks and hate this on my body.In have read stories above and heard that tea tree oil, dandruff (selsun blue) works. I am going to try all of these for sure. But I do want to use something that will make it go away for good and I can continue to go in the sun. I am not a white person, I have olive skin tone and these patches are lighter then my normal color.

If anyone has any suggestions for me please let me know!!
Hi I am 42 yrs old and have been developing this white spot patches under my arms (arm pits) on the side of my chest, my feet right at the sole and on my hands for i want to say about 3 years.  Its has only been the past 1 maybe 2 that It has gotten worse.  I due tan and notice them even more in the summer time.  I am very self concious about my under arm area.  they are flat like the skin too.  Some of the patches seem to fade while others seem to get a bit bigger.  I just want to make them go away.  
If anyone has any suggestion please help
Thank you so much..Ever since I was a teenager I saw this white small spot on my thigh but I just ignored it.. Now im 32 and the spot has gotten bigger. When I checked out the website for Tinea Versicolor..that is exactly what I have..but the most bothersome are in my butt cheeks can you all believe it  and also I have a couple on my arms..I have here some melaeuca oil im gonna give it a try and im gonna buy selsun also..thank you all so much!!! xoxoxo

And to the lady who said she had white discoloration on the back of her hands and other places..just got the doc..I think thats vitiliglio...My advice go to the doc please..Im glad I got to this website..I also have keratosis pilaris..anyone else have that..I have it on my thighs and the back of my arms.. HATE IT!!!
Hi, I have white bumps from my knee"s down. They have increased over the years. They are bumps not patches. If I  scratch them they have a top comes off. I cannot shave my legs.So I use a electric shaver, this takes the little top off, but no blood. I have suntaned for years, yes they they are bolder. I have read every comment, and I don"t know. Fungus maybe. I have a great Doctor so I"m sure I will take this info. and make with him see our lay research. Big family reunion that mean's swimsuits, shorts, and explations. Got to try something.

Only knees and down. LaDonna
Hi everyone,

I am 21 years old. I have suffered from these white spots on my fore arms, chest, back and legs. I have been aware of this condition for quite some time now, I first got it when I was about 13 and the doctor said it was fungal related. He told me to use selsun, which I did...but it only helps temporarily. I have used a cream called Normspore and it works like a charm...sadly it doesn't take it away permanently. I have tried many methods to try remove it for good, but nothing seems to work.
I am curious about using Tea Tree Oil...if anyone can tell me where I can get it it would be most appreciated.

Ty - Cape Town, South Africa
If you are experiencing "white spot" discoloration ONLY in tiny spots (no rashes, bumps, patches, discomfort, or texture changes of the skin itself) you are experiencing a fungus that can be cured with various compounds, such as tea tree oil, selsun-based dandruff shampoos, antifungal foot ointments, etc.  

This discoloration is usually observed /caused by areas of heavy perspiration where bacteria can reproduce until a fungus becomes active, such as armpits, genitals, feet, hands, and under the chin/neck area are common.  Chest and back as well, sometimes behind knees.  The fungus can also be caused by contact with bacteria-covered objects, such as unwashed sweaty clothing or other contaminated surfaces (unsterilized sun tan beds, unwashed clothing, using same towel over and over again, etc).  A fungus can be produced from any high-bacteria environment.

Left untreated, these fungal white spots will not disappear and will spread.  Depending on hygiene practices and/or physical contact, it can take years to spread or it can happen rapidly over a course of only a few weeks.

Example:  arms, legs, and other "open" (regular exposure to air, sunlight) areas of skin can take years.  Genitals much faster, even under a year.   Extreme activity where hands are drenched in perspiration by wearing the same gloves over a course of only a week or two can also produce them rapidly (few weeks) due to immersion in bacteria-breeding perspiration (a fungal petri dish).  Same with wearing the same clothes every day for hard manual labor without washing them, as well as using same towels every day, etc.

How do I know all of this?  Because everything I wrote in the paragraph above has been happening to me, and I'm guilty of all of it.  My symptoms are:

1.  Lots of white spot discoloration around genitals, it's been spreading for 3 years, doctor told me it was "normal", the quack.  That was all until last month.  Note:  area of white spots on genitals were areas of regular male perspiration.

2.  Last month I replaced my roof.  It took me two weeks in non-stop 80-90 degree heat.  I was drenched in sweat the whole time.  Last week I noticed a whole bunch of new white spots all over my hands and fingers, exactly where I was sweating the most - inside my gloves.  I had also been wearing the same nasty clothes during this job, intending just to throw clothes out when done.  Took a good look at genitals, sure enough - white spots/areas had virtually doubled in size!  This is clearly a perspiration-induced bacterial issue.

3.  Other comments in here also show this condition is from bacterial contact from tanning beds, using the same towels over and over again (I'm guilty of that too), etc.  All of which suggest bacterial contact is what is producing this fungus.

Cure:  Bad news first.  It appears after MUCH reading that there is a lot of error in proper diagnosis by the medical establishment.  Even my own top dollar doctor blew it and shrugged it off, the quack.  The good news:  Tea tree oil is available at any good drug store.  So are anti fungal foot lotions, powders, and selsun-based dandruff shampoos.

If you are experiencing rashes, bumps, discomfort or any other physical symptom other than "white spot" discoloration spots only, then you have something different and certainly should see a doctor.

I seriously thank God for the Internet.
I forgot to mention that this fungal skin condition is called Tinea Versicolor, and affects up to 8% of the population in the United States.  It is caused by hot, humid conditions.  The good news is that it is easily and permanently treated with anti fungal compounds, both over the counter and by prescription.

Note:  This condition has the same appearance of Vitiligo, but Vitiligo is easily identified by usually being symmetrical on both sides of the body and also changes hair color in affected areas.  Vitiligo is also incurable and does not go away with anti fungal remedies.
Should I apply the Selsun Blue while I am taking a shower or before taking a shower?
i've always tanned really well & always evenly even with spf..all of a sudden i noticed a spot right above my belly button. it was white-ish and almost dry. then as the summer went on i noticed little spots on my upper stomache ! i was almost afraid to go in the sun because i had the one on my belly button getting more noticable & i didnt want the other ones to...NOW it looks like my arms might get it ! but no one else sees the ones on my arms..yet..and im hoping never !

-if i STAY out of the sun will they blend back with my skin & never appear on my arms?

ugh someone please HELP i am SOOOOO SCARED.

-scarlett
IM HAVE WHITE SPOTS ON MY NECK THEY DONT ITCH OR BOTHER ME AT ALL. I HOPE IM NOT DIYING I STARTED NOTICING THEM AFTER I CAME BACK HOME FROM CALIFORNIA IM FROM MICHIGAN AND IVE NEVER BEEN ON A TANNING BED PLZ TELL ME WHAT THESE ARE AND HOW I CAN GET RID OF THEM THANK YOU
I've had these "white spots" a few months after I found out I was lactose intolerant. Obviously you can't eat/drink dairy products and due to that I completely shut those food out of my body for MONTHS.. then slowly I started noticing all of these spots, they started out pea size then years went by and they are quite large and pretty much everywhere on my body.
I found this online... "Vitiligo is a common condition that affect 1-2% of people worldwide. It is usually visible as a patch of white skin without pigment. The cells that would normally produce the skin's pigment, are destroyed by the vitiligo. There is no know cause of vitiligo, but it is more common with people who have certain autoimmune diseases. The autoimmune diseases are: hyperthyroidism (an overactive thyroid gland), adrenocortical insufficiency (when the adrenal gland does not produce enough of the hormone cortiscosteroid), alopecia areata (patches of baldness), and pernicious anemia (a failure to absorb vitamin B12 which is caused by a low level of red blood cells). Vitiligo is also common within families, although not completely hereditary. A doctor may diagnose vitiligo by researching one's family history, taking blood tests, and taking a small sample of the skin."

I was actually treated by a B12 shot in my arm about 2 yrs ago and they just began to freckle up and magically dissaper. YES I still have little patches on my hips and under my arms that don't seem to go away but by going to a dermatologist they can give you FREE cream samples and offer to do a laser treatment that can PERMANTLY make these "white spots" dissaper FOREVER!!!
thatnkyou so much !

I am going to

-get selsun blue and scrub my whole body with it
-get b12 shots
-stop having things with lactate in them

I hope this works before next summer.

OH and I was wondering IF the spots on my body had anything to do with me bleaching my hair and maybe the bleach seeping into my skin..the doctor said she didn't think so, but I havent asked a derm.
i have a white spots in my arms and every time the temp.is cold if appears obviosly and even when i am arrouse if also it also show...what do you think this is?
As for the flat white spots that don't itch or any other problems except being white, I think they are vitiligo. My youngest daughter first had them appear on her inner thigh when she was about 6mo old.Now at 15, the spots are on both legs and her abdomen.They cause her no problems, except they look much more pronounced in the summer after she gets tan. She also has a thyroid disorder and juvenile rheumatoid arthritis which are both autoimmune disorders, but I think the fact that she is 1/4 mexican(she looks white, but her skin is very slightly darker) is the only reason that you can even see it.in the winter, the patches are my color,and the rest looks like she was in the sun for about an hour. This summer she laid out and her stomach got very brown, but the patch was a very bright cotton candy pink,so sun screen will be forced upon her for at least those areas from now on to try to prevent skin cancer in the future.
I started getting these white spots on my arms, and it started spreading to my chest and face area recently.  I went to the doctor and he prescribed me some cream and pills to take. However, it's not getting any better.  I'm afraid that it's not a fungus (like the doctor suspected), and something else.

I've noticed that where the white spots are, there is no hair growth. It seems to inhibit hair growth. Anyone else notice this?   For example I have facial hair, and where the white spots are, the hair doesn't grow there anymore.
THANKS 4 ALL YOUR REMEDIES I DO TOO HAVE THE SAME SICKNESS. I JUST FEEL REAL BAD WITH THIS WHITE SPOTS ON MY FACE, NECK, CHEST, BACK, AND ARMS. I REALLY HOPE THAT THIS SPOTS GO AWAY CAUSE I FEEL REAL BAD.  ITS REAL EMBARRASING FOR PEOPLE TO SEE YOUR FACE LIKE THESE. SO THANK YOU ALL FOR EVERYTHING.
I have small white spots that appear on my legs only when I am cold.
They just started appearing within the last 4 months. They do not itch or bother me, I did not notice them until my boyfriend pointed them out.
Any ideas of what this could be?
As you explain about these white spots are flat on skin and spreading slowly it seems that this is skin condition vitiligo. white spots on skin which feel burning while exposed to the sun is a common symptom of skin condition vitiligo (source of info: http://www.antivitiligo.com/vitiligo/ ). I recommend you not use tanning beds to treat these spots. Because the intensity of uv  radiation in these beds is 3 to 8 time  than the sunlight. There is a great risk for skin cancer by harmful rays of UV.
Further more if you want to confirm your Vitiligo you may use wood lamp experiment for it.
Wrong Wrong Wrong.  Tinea Versicolor is a skin fungus and it doesnt sound like you have that so dont bother with the dandruff shampoo or any of the other antifungal remedies. Speaking from years of research you have sun damage, whether you use tanning beds or not.  There is no known treatment for the condition you have.  The small white spots will continue to spread. Good luck
oh I forgot-your condition is called Idiopathic guttate hypomelanosis.
I am having similar problems that involve the white spots. i dont tan that often but when i do i never get spots or a burn sensation or anything like that! i just recently went tanning not even a week ago and i got a few white spots on my chest area and genital area except mine itch really bad...im going to try some of the stuff that is being said on here to maybe see if it works! but if mine is itchy does that mean its not a fungus??
I have read several of the comments above and can agree on several. I have had spots all over my back on and off for the past few years. I am very embarrased to wear a bathing suit or a tank top because of these. I have recently started to get smaller dots on my mid arm(s). These ones are dry and I have tried scrubs that have sand etc in them to take it away. I was just recently told by a good friend of mine that I am losing pigment in my back/arm. She had this as well and she went to the hospital and got a cream called lamisil. She stated it helped her. She claims it came from the dirty tanning beds. I used to tan all the time about 7 yrs ago but now I go once a month in the winter sometimes twice. Now I am not going at all til I find a solution. I am going to see a dermatoligist soon. I will let you all know what I hear.
Shelly
I suddenly have this white dot (about 1mm) located at my temple area..at certain angles, it look like it is protruding a little. And this week, i realized one side of my face have a patch in lighter skin tone. Im really very scare!! Im not sure if my whitening sunblock is the culprit because those white stuffs seems to appear each time i apply my sunblock.
But i do have a couple of it on my chest too =(

What should i do to make them go away?? Im really scare it is vitiligo. help please?
I am 24 years old and about 6 months ago started developing white spots on my face. Under my eyes and on my forehead.They don't itch or bother me besides the apperance.Once in a while they burn alittle when I dry my face off after washing.I don't use tanning beds or eat lots of sour things. What could the be? someone please answer me
Hi, ever since I moved to a hotter and more humid area, I've been getting dry skin spots on my stomach, lower back, upper thighs (near hips) and the underside of my arms. My mom says it might be eczema but it doesn't itch or have bumps at all. They're almost lighter colored scaly spots but because it's dry it's kind of white.They don't bother me (don't itch, don't hurt, etc) but just look ugly and discolored. It could possibly be that re-using towels fungus (tinea versicolor) but they don't look too much like the pictures on google. They're more dry/ashy looking.
I am 17 years old, ive had white spots for about a year, on my stomach and my upper legs. it does itch really bad. I thought it was just dry skin. I tried using all different kinds of lotions and dry skin body washes and it didnt seem to go away. I do go tanning. I am gunna go to the doctor because its embarassing i cant even wear a bikni without feeling uncomfortable. i hate it. i hope i can get rid of it. =(

if u have any advice, please let me know!
I have a lot of small white spot on my arms. B4, i had Tinea Corposis/ringworm and it heals now but then, white spot came out. First, its just around my ringworm but then it spreads to my upper arm and lower arm...its feeling itchy as well. am afraid if its spread whole over my body. am shy to wear any short shirt that expose my arms...it looks ugly. i apply a lot of lotion or oil or whatever but didnt work. what can i do?
Dear All

I have also same Problem and I experienced it from lack of Sleep and Vitamins.
Remember Don't ever try to take ketchup or any Tomato Sauce
because Sauce increases those White Spots.
Try to Sleep normal and keep your self happy
Don't worry about white spots it will go a way
and there is a very good solution:

1.Metchycobal    INJECTIONS once a week
2.Folvite Tablets     Daily 2 tablet after breakfast
3.Oatkin Soap        use it while taking Shower
4.MELANOCYL + CROLIM  mix every night and use it on the white dots
5.Melgain    it must be use on the white dots after shower daily
6.PlacentLrex Lotion  must be use on all body after having shower

Note:

the above medicens can be find in india
i bought them from India it will not exceed than a 40 - 60 $

so try to Allah is great we hope he will help us

Thank you every body

Regards,

Barsaat
i have also white spots on my skin. it is very embarrasing. and it's hard to tell it anyone behind you. i have already these white spots for 15 years.
Please, if anyone know about how to treat it write to my emeil

best_ticket***@****
Hi there, I am having an issue since last year on my face. Apparetnly , my skin pigmentation has changed. I have  white asymetrical  spots on my face taht makes me look like a dalmation because my natural skin is medium dark. I went to a dermatologist..and he said taht my skin tone will go back to its normality after a year..but it didn't. HE also said taht the descolaration in some areas were due to humidity&dryness which I don't get it..but I don't know..what to do anymore I don't want to put makeup every day.!!!
I desperatly need recomendation or HElp pliz?? thnx.:)
Hey.  I ve just noticed that I have white spots on my face.  It's like they appeared out of nowhere.  Like the others mentioned; the spots dont itch or burn.  And my question is do I put the selsun blue on the white spots?
hi after reading all the cases i think my proble is totally different..... i have white spots from 3-4 years its only on my lips the reason of it whenever i go  in the sunshine my lipes get red then it get totally hot than when i got up next day some small acne filled with water arrise than it takes many days to cure.........after this left the white spots which never get original colour...................plz suggest me should i use
selsun blue or what else......one more thing if i met with any accident or skin damage my skin colour never come...................... plz help
Hey.
I think i too have tinea versicolor. I have spots on my thighs, abdomen, chest and back. Its a lot more obvious on my abs though. I went to the dermatologist once and said it was caused by fungus and said they're were 2 types, one that had a cure and one that didn't. He gave me pills which i took for 5 days and he said that after a few months the spots would be gone if it was the curable kind. I still have the spots and its been about a year. I looked it up on  net and im pretty sure its tinea versicolor so i tried selsun blue. On the bottle it says to put it on, keep it on for about 10 mins and then rinse it off and do this for a week. I did it for atleast 2 weeks and sometimes it seemed like it was going away but than at times it looked the same so i don't think that solution worked for me. Im now interested in tryin the tea tree oil solution.
How exactly do i use it? anyone know?
TJ
im 14 years old about 2 years ago i started getting little white spots now,i have them all over my back,arms,neck,and chest ive been called names and it really ***** i hate not being able to wear bathing suits without putting a shirt on cause eveeryone is staring at me.im a cheerleader for the high school and i cry everytime i put on my uniform cause all i can see is spots,ive even decieded not to go to my homecoming this year because i dont want to be in a dress where everyone can see my spots.
Thanks to this board and others like I was able to diagnose and treat myself for tinea versicolor. I got mine after a period of months of high stress and lots of using the laptop while lying in bed or with a blanket over me. Well, no surprise the spots started on my lower abdomen and spread to my upper thighs, then to my back, all the way down to the backs of my knees. Selsun Blue made my skin red and painful (allergic reaction) and Lamisil didn't really seem to help. MY CURE: buying exfoliating nylon gloves and using them to lather and scrub 2x per day in the shower using Nizoral shampoo (I usually leave it on for a couple of minutes). After drying off I use Tinactin cream or spray (the spray is great - dries very quickly). This has helped enormously in just a couple of weeks. I plan to do this for at least another month (skin takes 30 days to regenerate).
Side note: PLEASE be careful with the use of tea tree oil. It can be toxic. Good luck to all!
Hello.

I honestly have the same problem. Im 18 and have these ugly white spots
on my body, i just want some advise on what to buy and if it works.
Can someone be nice enough to let me know.=]

Thank you
i have white speck on my shoulders and chest, and i went to this site and thought i had the fungus or whatever soo i bought me some selsun blue dandriff shampoo, and i took a shower put it all over my shoulders and chest and went to bed, and when i woke up it burnt badly, i thought it was burning the fungus and i washed it off and went to school, well i came home  and did the same routine and within minutes after putting it on my skin felt like it was on fire, i middently washed it off, and the next day i had a scab inbwt my chest and one on my arm, am i have an alerical reaction or what?
is there other stuff i can use?
Just wanted to thank you all for your submissions. I too, have recently discovered these lighter colored patches of area on my skin. I first noticed it on the back of my thigh... now my shoulders... it's crazy. I'm certainly going to try a few of the suggestions I read here today. Thanks!!!! :)
Glad to know that I'm not going to be doomed to walking the earth like a spotted rare creature. lol
my granddaughter is 5 years old and has had raised white bumps around her elbows and surrounding arm. They started with just a few and are spreading slowly. Also they itch. Could this be some kind of bug or mite under the skin?
TURMERIC / CURCUMA is 4000 years old medecine spice used mainly in India. Google it , you will find that the spice you buy at the grocery store, mix it with either olive oil or yogurt. Apply on your skin on the white spots or as a ''body mask'' and leave it for a while. Do that every day or twice a day. The white spots will get better and hopefully the cells will heal. That is the purpose of Turmeric / Curcuma to cure the cells from skin diseases, amongst other properties.
Turmeric and Curcuma are the same thing. I buy it in the spices section. Also, I would recommend to double your local application treatment with drinking 1 tbspoon of Turmeric / Curcuma in 1/4 cup hot water as a tea. Drink every day. That will purify your blood and improve your skin health from inside as well.
EVERYONE W/TINEA VERSICOLOR : If you are sure of your rash, it is caused by overproduction of yeast on your skin. I have discovered through much research that yeast (candida) overproduction is usually internal before it presents as a rash. Aside from topical and oral medications, you MUST consider changing your diet to have long term relief. You need to avoid yeast in your diet, and start taking some probiotics. Skin problems are usually a symptom of another problem, not the problem itself.
I'm wondering if its not something in the water?  I had these spots when I was about 15-19 off & on and selsun would treat them but then I moved to the country with well water and NO SPOTS.  But i recently moved back to the city with city water and here we go again!  I'm wondering if I'm not sensitive to somehing in city water, chlorine??
My son is three-years-old he has white patch on his genitals and a little on his legs, the dermatology told that is not vitiligo, but I'm so confused, I don't know if I should see another doctor
Are there any other skin conditions that everyone has other than Tinea Versicolor, Vitiligo, and Pityriasis Alba? It seems like out of the 3, only Vitiligo is non-fungal-based.

I went to see a derm, and she did a skin test, and found that my white spots weren't fungal. She said they were probably caused by hypopigmentation, and said that they would 'heal' on their own. But I REALLY DOUBT SO cos I've had them for like more than a year! Does anyone have any idea what to do for non-fungal skin conditions that cause white spots? Mine are confined to abdomen, chest and back. Its really irritating and unsightly!

Should I trust the Derm's test and instructions to leave it? Anyone can help out here? Thanks!! =)
Hi...I just want to ask for any ways on how to remove this white spots on my skin particularly on my neck. At first, it was reddish in color and itchy. I show it on the pharmacy in order to have medicine and they gave me a cream ( elocon). After applying it, the reddish spots became white. As I thought it was a fungal disease, I treat it with canesten cream but until now (2 weeks of application) it hasn't disappeared. Could somebody help me how to cure this? I feel ashamed having this one that leads me just to stay at home rather than hanging out with friends.
I am 15 years old, i have had eczema since i was a child, which is just basically a really bad condition of dry skin. Just a few years ago my dermatologist gave me a cortazone cream that really helped the dry skin, itchiness, and redness. the only problem was that it bleached my skin on the areas that i put the cream. It is getting worse and Im extremely embarrassed to wear short sleeved shirts. I need help, ive tried eveything and nothing seems to work. I would really like to be able to wear a tank top in the summer and feel confident that no one is staring at my arms. Please help me find a solution. It would be greatly appreciated. :)
I am a 25 years old woman who have been experiencing these white spots for years now. I have them all over my back & chest. I started using selsum blue shampoo for about 2 days ago & I started using the Lotrimin Ultra antifungal cream today. To all those who used this as a form of treatment, how long did it take for the white spots to go away? I'm hoping to get rid of it by this summer!
I am 53 and I live in FL. I tan always, this year I got white spots everywhere except areas covered by my bathing suit, and the backs of my arms and legs, and my face and neck. I was told by my derm. that I had "halo moles" some of the spots have a pink center (not all). He also told me there was nothing I could do about it. I look horrible! I work out, eat heathly and do a lot of stress therapy and I am angry that after doing all this work to look good, feel good and live a happy life that I have to live with these ugly spots.
I have tried everything that has been suggested on this board and nothing has worked. I don't want to walk around the rest of my life covering up a body I work very hard to look good.
Anyone out there got anything new I can try?
J
CONCERNING NON-FUNGAL WHITE PATCHES:

I misdiagnosed myself a couple months ago by reading the internet rather than going to the doctor like I should have. I tried using anti-fungal creams which did nothing. When I finally went to the Derm a skin biopsy was done and it turns out that I have Morphea, which is a hardening/thickening of the skin due to excess collagen. It most likely appears on the trunk of the body (mine is on my back and appears to be a large, flat, white blotch). There are a variety of treatments available to help the condition. Whatever you do, go to the doctor. The sooner you get treatment for it, the better!
i am 18 years old and have white spots all over my body. It started when i was 10. My mother told me it was usual to a pre teens, so i dont bother with those spots, but it gets worst as years past. It is spreading through my whole body but just a very small size, not even a size of a pencil eraser. It is more visible when i stay under the sun, My Aunt also have it but in different case so i just thought i inherit it from my mother side.. I  try sulfur soap but it doesnt work and also other cream for fungi or something. please do help me. i really want to get rid of this white spots on my body.
my little baby (3 months only) is having white spots on her body. It started from her 1&1/2 months. We consulted one doctor, and she said its not a disease, but happening to babys due to dandruff. She is having itching and its not disappearing from her body.

Is this a disease or will it be the symptom of any disease in future? Please hlp me on this. I am very much scared on this.
Use Diprovate Lotion or Solution or cream for couple of times in a day and rub them ...That's great it works for all

Sensitive Skin

Dry Skin or Very Oily Skin

UV Damaged Skin (Environmental Damage)

Enlarged Pores

Fine Lines

Smoker's Skin (Pollution Damage)

Puffiness or Redness

You need to protect and rejuvenate your skin with:

----------Peptides

Ceramides

Collagen Precusrors

Minerals ....

This is not for advertise ...its and advise..Please do not take any steriods or other capsules for these stuff...related has side effect of gastrointestinal and reproductive organ
I AM ONLY 15, and when I was 8 or 9 I got psoriasis on all 4 ankles and both of my knees, and my kneck. I dont have it on my ankles or knees any more but i do still have it on my kneck. now that my psoriasis is gone I HAVE MEDIUM SIZED BLOCHES OF WHITE SKIN WHERE MY PSORIASIS USED TO BE ON ALL 4 ANKLES AND ON BOTH OF MY KNEES. THE WHITENESS IS BORDERED BY MY TAN SKIN AND I HAVE DARK SMALL FRECKLES ON AND BORDERING IT!!! IT DOES NOT ICH AT ALL AND IT FEELS JUST LIKE MY NORMAL SKIN AND SOMETIMES SMOOTHER! I GO TANNING NOW, BUT I JUST STARTED AND I NEVER DID BEFORE THIS SO I KNOW IT CANT BE FROM TANNING! IT GETS RED AFTER I TAN BUT ONLY FOR ABOUT AN HOUR! ITS WHITEE AND I HATE SUMMER TIME BECAUSE I HATE SHOWING MY LEGS! I PUT FOUNDATION ON IT SOMETIMES BUT IT DOESNT BLEND IN AND YOU CAN STILL SEE THE FRECKLES. I HAVE NOT BEEN TO A DOCTOR! HELP ME PLEASE, I HATE THIS!!!! WHAT WILL MAKE IT BE THE COLOR OF MY SKIN!?!?!?! it just looks like no color is in it.  IT WILL NOT TAN!
I've been doing a lot of research online. I pray to God I don't have vitiligo. I'm a 35 year old woman. I noticed a couple of white spots on my thigh when I was about 21. They never changed in size, and basically the same. Just in December I noticed other small white spots on my face cheek area. and the same on the opposite side. It's not the exact location, but its the cheek area. I started to invesitgate my body more thoroughly, and I see very tiny ones on my leg. Maybe three on the opposite leg where the first two appeared at the age of 21. February, I went to my doctor and he gave me some hydrocortizone creme and told me to use it for two weeks. Needless, to say, it didnt work. I went back to him last week, told him the creme didnt work. I have an appointment to see a Dermatologist on the 7th of April. I hope it's a fungus that can be cured. But Something is saying to me "Vitiligo", after my research on it. Can anyone tell me something about this?
I have white spots on my right leg and on my left knee also on my ankles and elbows. I've had these probably for about 10yrs already maybe longer. Iam so tired of it I want to get rid of it as soon as I can. I'm tired of not being able to wear shorts because I'm embarrassed. If someone can help me that would be soo great. Thank you!!
Selsun (yellow bottle) is good for getting rid of white spots that don't irritate and that spread, I dont keep it on for longer than 30mins then wash it off, it can be bought from supermarkets.
The white spots is a fungas that could be caused from not drying thoroughly after a shower and I was told to wash all clothes in hot water while using the cream to help prevent it coming back.
Well, hi!! :) i have little white spots on my arms that look like goosebumps so people are always asking me if i'm cold. anyways i would like to know what caused them and how i could get rid of them. Please help me!! i hate these little white spots. :(
Changing sheets frequently  would help too, since the fungus gets on bedclothes.

Use a old toothbrush and scrub your shoes with selzen blue and let it set over night, then rinse and air dry.

There are fungus powders at the retail stores.

Cover your favorite chair and was the cover frequently.
Buy cheap washable sheets and covers and use them on your regular bed clothes and your favorite chair and was them frequently if you are trying to get rid of a fungus.  Your medical doctor can help you but so does seltzen blue.

Wash your tenny shoes with seltzen blue with an old toothbrush.  Coat them and let set a few hours then rinse.

It shouldn't be this hard to sign in or join this place.  It kept saying that my address is being used. Of course it is, I am using it.
i recently have devoloped bright white dots on my arms and then they started to spread to my face chest and legs and th size of the dots vary..they itched at first so my doctor gave me cream and a steroid for poision ivy..i took the medicine as perscribed and the spots never went away however they stopped itching...i do have a tanning bed but i never really use it that much although  the past coulple of months i have been in it frequently...i just want to know what it is....i always think the worst...can somone please help me
Hello All!  If de-pigmentation conditions are from fungus or bacteria, one percent hydrogen peroxide regularly applied topically will stop them.  I just began to get these spots on the back of my hand, after having nail fungus for some years.  I've been 1/5% drinking food grade H2O2 for a few weeks now and got significant improvement with the fungus; now topically applying 1% to the spot.  Perhaps I can keep the thread posted with results or someone else who has tried this will chime in!  Fungus seems to be quite the increasing health concern worldwide.
hi,
i am 19 years old and i too have the same problem that i have white spots on my back, stomach and someewhere near legs and it was not reddish in colour and no itchiness on it.it started when i was 13.please somebody tell me what exactly to use on it.
please help me!!!!
hi,,
u really think selsun(yellow bottle) works,can u please tell me something more about this.....can i also use this...please if u know anything about this then please help me...i really wanna get rid of all this as soon as possible....
I am 28 years old, 3 years ago I noticed a rather large pinky spot on my back, inbetween my shoulderblades, never bothered me until a year ago. Now, the spot is completely white, the size of a quarter and I feel numbness, itchyness and irritating sensation constantly throughout the day. I feel once I lay down it will go away, until I am back up again.
I went to see my physician, who told me it was vitilago, and sent me for a biopsy - I never got any results back from it (this was 3 months ago). I am wondering where to go for help. My doctor dosent see it as a problem..?
Can't afford a doctor.  I've always been a pretty woman used to sun tan when in my 20 & 30's.  I'm 46 now this started about a year ago.  I live in Fla don't go in sun much anymore I look like a clown and every day it get's worse  HELP!!!
I have the same frustrating white-spots problem on my skin as described. I live in a country where it's summer all year round. It's itchy on some areas when I perspire while some areas never itch. Currently in the 3rd week of treatment with Ketoconazole cream. The top layer of the skin where I applied the cream dries up & peels off - maybe the medicine is getting rid of the fungus. It's really getting better slowly. Just to share my experience. I do suggest seeking medical help & I'm thankful for the cream.
I started getting white spots with a light pink center all over my body last summer. I went to the dermotologist and his best "guess" was "halo moles" and there was nothing I can do about them.
I look like hell. The spots are all over my arem, legs, abdomen, back and chest.
I tried using a self tanning cream to cover them up and that did not work.
We just had our holiday at the beach and my spots got burned pink with an SPF 80 on them.
I have no idea what to do. any advice would be deeply appreciated :-)
i have spots too but they start off dry then turn into a light color. i get them on my shoulders neck and chest. is there any other way of getting rid of it besides for goin to a doctor?
I think that we might have the same thing: Idiopathic guttate hypomelanosis. It means that the skin is tired of the sun. I have never been a sun worshiper but I grew up in Portugal so I had my fair share of sun and later in life I got this white spots first on my legs which slowly have been coming up and my worry is getting them on my face. The doctor said that it is not viltligo and no cancer either. They never itch and they are ugly. No idea what to do..... but I will go on researching!

I think that people here have a variety of conditions which are quite different and have quite different treatments. Mine doesn't seem to have a treatment at all other than maybe Topical Retinoids. I will talk to my doctor about it. Maybe someone knows more...... My husband who is very white has them too but you see less also because he is very hairy!
my 5 year old son has been getting more and more white spots on his body. every day i notice a new one. they are all different sizes. they are on his feet, hands, hips, neck, and face. can anybody tell me what the heck they are?
http://www.dermnet.com/Idiopathic-Guttate-Hypomelanosis/picture/15257
jT_
Yeah I just now started getting white spots under my lips and its slowly spreading towards my cheeks. I read a lot of these comments and I think I'll try using a dandruff shampoo and then the selsun blue. Thanks for the tips.
I have the same spots they have been reoccurring every time I go to gym, tanning bed, outside sports or cancun Mexico. I am very active and apparently if you sweat in hot weather fungus grows on you more rapidly. I have tried selsun blue and creams only for it to return. My Doctor just prescribed ketoconazole 400 mg tablets and selenium sul 2.55 LOT cream to use for 7 days. The name of the fungas is Tinea versicolor which is a fungal infection of the skin caused by the yeast Pityrosporum ovale. According to the National Institutes of Health, this yeast occurs naturally on everyone's skin. When the yeast starts to multiply rapidly, it can form small colonies on the skin's surface. The reason the yeast does this on some people but not others is unknown, but it is known that tinea versicolor is not contagious. It is most likely to occur during hot weather, presumably because increased moisture on the skin through sweating creates an environment that encourages fungal growth.
Identification
The patches caused by tinea versicolor can vary in appearance. When a person is exposed to sun and his skin tans, areas affected by tinea versicolor will appear as white spots or patches. The patches can also appear as pink or red spots on untanned skin, and when the infection has been left for a long while, the patches can appear to be a pinkish brown color. You also may notice very slight flaking on the patches upon close examination. Most doctors will diagnose tinea versicolor based upon a visual inspection of the affected areas, but a skin scraping examined under a microscope also can be used for diagnosis.

Read more: Skin Fungus That Causes White Spots | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5117458_skin-fungus-causes-white-spots.html#ixzz0ulIXhK80
OMG so i noticed a little white spot on my arm a while ago but didnt really think anything of it intill i noticed another one recently on the back of my upper thigh, what the heck so i started examining my whole body to see if there were more and i found one more on my upper back and have no idea what it is. After reading all of these stories it seems like it might be the tinea versicolor, im so nervous i hope its not something really serious ive never had anything like this before. I have gone tanning but have been in at least a month in a half, i also use my towel more than once which i def. wont do anymore. So off to the doctor i will go. good luck to everyone hope everything is ok! THANX!
i had few white spots on my stomach..but i never bothered to ask what they are..in summer, i went tanning, until i noticed more spots, so i went to my dermatologist, he said it was fungus, and he prescribed a dandruff and anti fungal shampoo.. but since then, theyre spreading even more !! i have much more on my stomach, and recently on my back and 2 on my shoulders.. im so scared... i think the shampoo isnt good and i shuld get another one..
im gona see another doctor next week but im so scared.. i dont want them to spread more becoz id be so embarassed..
hey.. so i went to another dermatologist.. he saw my white spots and he told me the fungus is gone, but the white spots need time to become the same color as my skin since i got a tan.. so he told me to stop the antifungal/antidandruff shampoo, and told me to use an optional gel that makes the white spots tan faster.. its called Vitix..
i feel so relieved !! i hope everyone gets cured
I have had littleLittle noses decongestant
Little tummys white spotsBirthmarks - pigmented
Liver spots
Measles, koplik spots - close-up
Mongolian blue spots on my legs and arms for several years.Each year I get more little white spots on me .The ones that has been there for awhile gets a little bigger.I do lay out in the sun ,the little white spots get whiter and that is when I get more little white spots.Please help .
So glad I found this page! I have small white spots on my lower legs that are pretty noticable, and some lighter ones on my ams. Not itchy or raised. I am fair skinned and freckled and have tanned in my earlier years heavily and although not so much any more, this summer has been an exception. After reading these posts I did some reserch and found out that what I have is called "Idiopathic Guttate Hypomelanosis." Usually starts around 30, Im 31 and there is nothing you can really do about it. Its not a fungus and happens naturally, kinda like grey hair. Although Im disapointed that I am apparently aging :-( Im glad to know its not a fungus! Thanks everyone
You have the same I have. I also found the name on the Internet but the other day the skin doctor confirmed it. I am 53 and although they have spread with me it is not as if I have turned white or anything. The advise here to use Vitix the doctor told me that he has no idea whether it helps and at the pharmacy I found out that it is very expensive so I wouldn't start there. But don't despair, I wouldn't be surprised if there is something that at least helps stop them spreading. You are wrong when you say that there is nothing to help grey hair because there is! And that is the same which, according to advice on another site might help this. I haven't tried it yet but it is called PABA and it seems to be a B vitamine. I am going to look for it. The two people who tried it lost their spots and one must have had some kind of Viltligo because he had much bigger patches. Right now I am trying something called Bio Oil which I bought in England (it is even advertised on TV) which seems to equalize the skin. They advise you to use it for at least three months and I have just started but I have the idea that I don't see the spots on my arms anymore (they were smaller).

As far as grey hair goes another thing that seems to help is molasses so there you go..... one may think that there is no help and often there is, you only need to find what helps you!
I have the white spots also, will check into the Ketoconazole tablets. Also never heard of molasses for gray hair how do you use it ???
Thanks melissa
Yes, I do take a teaspoon of molasses almost everyday. I think that it takes a while before you see the results but some people say that their hair has reverted to its natural color. I take it in a bit of warm water with lemon juice, some people dilute it in the coffee.

I have never heard of the Ketoconazole tablets but then I didn't read all the advice given here.
...ditto to all of the above! Is there any product out there (cosmetic/or otherwise) to help conceal them? Thanks so much..
If you only want to conceal the spots you can try a fake tan product. I have bought one which didn't really seem to make much difference and anyway I am not interested in using it more regularly right now because I want to try a few other things like a oil called Bio Oil which seems to make the skin color more equal (coconut oil might also help). I will post my finding in a while but one of the things I have been advised was 3g of vitamine C a day, 500-1000 mcg of B12, 20 mg of folic acid. Somehow I have the idea that there is a solution for this.

I wish that this site would have different pages for the different problems which cause the white stains as they all have different solutions. People here might read some advice and not realise that their white stains are something completely different! This one affect mostly older people and is not related to fungus or bacteria, appears first on the legs and spreads up, not at all connected with the white spots young people often have on their face, chest and back, I had those ones as a child as well! It would be really useful to separate the problems in different pages!
i am 19 years old and i have these tiny white spots kinda like non pigment freckles on my chest and shoulders. i hade them on my back about 3 1/2 years ago and the doctors gave me selson lotion but i dont know if it worked because about a year or two ago they shoerd up on my chest and shoulders. i recently noticed that they seem to start out as looking like dry skin thats peels into tiny white spots and then as i get more they seem to merge into splotches...im scare because i dont know what this is and i dont have insurance.... please help i will post pictures as soon as i can
I have experience this white spot things more than 10years....It happens on my left neck and it is still in my left neck and it do a little widespread from the past ten years but not to my right neck or face or body... i have been to the doctor twice. As the consequences the the small white spot begin to mix with another after i once visit the doctor and use his medicine..... Before it just many small white spot... now many bigger white spot .... How about in the future? Is there anyway i can cure it?  It doesn't itchi but once i am hot or timid... it feel kinda itchi.
I just wanted to alert everyone to another alternative. This is especially important to those of you with small children who have these white spots. There is a genetic disease that causes white spots called Tuberous Sclerosis Complex. My son wasn't diagnosed until age eleven when we took him to the dermatologist to ask about the white spots, raised patches of skin that feel like orange peels, and red freckles on his cheeks. He took one look at him and diagnosed him with TSC. It's a serious disease. TSC causes tumors to grow in every organ of the body, especially the brain, heart, lungs, skin, and kidneys. It causes epilepsy, autism and learning disabilities. It can range from very mild to very severe. My son was originally diagnosed with vitiligo, so it is possible to get a wrong diagnosis. Our family doc had never even heard of this disease. Please look into this, especially if you've had these spots since early childhood or infancy!
i am new to this site first time.i am very worried about my skin problem, which only started about 2 years ago.i have very dry skin ..i av spots..marks small  circule some time they white, red and some time brown .i really dont know what it is.if i moisturize my body it would go red if i m very hot ,our if i dont put any cream on my body it would go white and wil go away if i wash it with water  but still very light marks stays on skin.i have these marks on my arms , neck n chest.. BUT SOME TIME THERES NOTHING ..SO CONFUSE.i am so worried about it PLZ HELP ANYONE
I have had the exact same problem that you describe, Hasley for well over 12-14 years. Hell, it's been so long I can't even recall how long it has been exactly, but I have gotten the same answer regarding their treatment: "Don't worry about it."  The crappy thing about that answer is that it only does make me worry more about it.  

The spots are,  as you say "BB sized" and are primarily on my inner arm (with a few on the outer), stretching up to my wrist, a few have developed (over the years) on my chest and they are on my thighs as well.  The one's on my thighs are not even noticeable until the change a change in my stress factor, outside temperature, or after exercise.  The one's on my arm can be extremely more noticeable after exercise or being out in cold weather. I have played ice hockey for many years, and a combination of a very heavy workout in the cold creates the spots to become the most noticeable, even bringing them up on my palms at times.

My uncle recently was at the doctor and had a thyroid test run on him because he had similar splotching come up on his arms (but also on his neck, which I have never experienced).  However, his splotching only recently appeared and that was the reason for his doctor wanting to test his thyroid.  It turns out he was indeed hypothyroid.  
After learning this, the info became bitter-sweet to me.  On one hand, this came upon him suddenly, which leads me to believe that my chronic condition gives me nothing to worry about.  On the other hand, it could just mean that I have been hypothyroid for many years.  I would love to check out my levels but I am in a foreign country and won't have health insurance for quite a while here (in Japan), so I have been kind of worried about that possibility.

So now I have been going between thinking, "There's no reason to worry. The doctor's have told me not to and I've had this forever." to, "There's more than enough reason to worry because I probably was just never at a doctor who considered hypothyroidism as a possibility."

Is there anyone out there who had this sort of skin issue arise do to hypothyroidism?  If so, could you possibly describe for me exacty what the spots look like? I would ask my uncle this but am overseas with no way to email him, as he is autistic and can not use computers.
Also, I might add that, it is extremely difficult for the areas that have these spots to sunburn. And the areas in which the spots are, don't really tan, well I should say, the never have, EVER, in my life. If I try to tan my inner forearms (and I have tested this) for upwards of five hours, without using sunblock in the blaring sun on a clear day, they don't really gain any pigment, the spots just show up more and I get sun rash on my arm.
I have a 8 yr old daughter. she is starting to get some white spots around her face (only). they are not too noticable. but im not sure what is causing it. My little brother also got these spots when he was younger, and someone told my mother that maybe he needed to eat more red meats. not too sure what my mom did but he no longer has this problem. might anyone have an idea what may be causing this. if so please advise.
I am half black and half white with light brown skin and I have/had 3 types of white spots.
1.One is the fungus and clears up with Selsun, small spots and expands if not treated, it started on my neck and chest then was on my back for years, last summer I used Selsun, I can still see it a bit but it is much better...

2.The second one I had as a little girl on my face, some larger spots slightly lighter than the rest of my skin, they cleared up one their own as I grew older.

3.The third one is small like beauty marks but completely white, no skin pigment at all, I don't think anything to give back color to those spots, I have to be grateful that I only have a few isolated and they are really small.

I hope this helps someone.
Hi, I have a white patch on my neck and i was thinking if anyone could give me advice. Some people think i have skin cancer and I'm kind of scared. I'm really young actually 11 and i went to my doctor already and he's sending me to the dermotologist soon. I know i dont have tinea versicolor because i went online and saw images but those werent what i have. PLEASE HELP!!
Thx, Angel
Hello my white spot in my body since i was an adulescent age now im 47 years still my white spot still in my body i already consulted to derma an given medicine by oral and ointment nothing happen my white spot still excess how can i cure this type of skin deseases it very shameful to other to look.
I have had tinea since age 10. The pills they give and cream make it go away but every 1-1 1/2 years later it will come back sometimes worse. When I was 19 same thing Had it bad doc gave pills and cream red spots went away but then all thses white spots started to appear on my legs and arms. Then still have not gone away. I am 27 now and use the cream and selsun blue and the white spots still remain and the red spits still come back. I dont know what there is left to do about this. I have change my whole routine. I dont use the same towel. I always use a clean dry one. Doc first told me it was a fungus from using a towel that was damp and not dry.  When i was 10 i saw 3 docs nobody knew what is was, they gave me meds(pills) that didnt work. It wasnt until i was 13 is when a doc knew what it was and how to treat it. But it sux, getting the red spots to go away and still have these white spots that apparrently are the same fungus that just wont go away and still having the red spots come back every so often.
I have these tiny little white dots all over my legs, mostly on my thighs. Its not like all blended together they are separate. I was just windering if anyone has any idea of what this is, what I could do or is someone going through the same thing. Here's what it looks like:
http://s1182.photobucket.com/albums/x446/skinwonder101/?action=view&current=050311162338.jpg
Thank you everyone! I was wondering about all the pen pont lite colored specks. I was wrecking my brain trying to find out what it is. I was thinking the worse like its the sign of a desease or skin desease.
Hello, sir I have one problem I have white spot on my right foot after plastic surgery. Actually I was stuck by van and got my right leg injured. After 8 months I showed to skin specialist and he suggest to do plastic surgery. And 2 years already completed of surgery even thought I have white spot on my leg. I kindly request you to help me in this matter.
Thank you.

My 8 yr old daughter is bi-racial.  Her skin is med brown.  She has developed white patches on her face.  Dr diagnosed her with tinea versicolor.  I treated her with Lamisil and Selsun Blue.  Now the spots are dry, but the skin is still lighter than the rest of her face.  Is there anything I can do to bring back her natural skin color?  It is all over both of her cheeks and very obvious.
Hello. In December of 2010 I had these intolerable itches on my face creating a red irritation that seemed not to go away. two weeks later on Christmas white spots began to form and they continued to grow for the next 6 months. I was prescribed anit-fungal medicine and it didn't work. Washed clothes and sheets constantly and nothing. On a trip to the beach i didnt wear any sunscreen, the following day i had sun blisters on my white spots. As soon as the blisters went away some of the spots had a darker pigment than my natural skin tone over the white spots as if to reverse. ever since then small dark pigment has returned to the white areas on my face. Is this healing on its own? Can I speed up the process? Is this normal?
Hi am 13 and have been noticing that i have patches of white skin.. they dont itch or hurt... they started on my arms and i have had them for a few months now, does anybody know how to get rid of them? i am burnt from the sun is that the cause?!

let me know how to get rid of them easily?!?!?
i have white spot on my face 3 years ago. Every year it come back. i went to the doctor and gave me a liquid bottle it work but then it came back. i am trying head and shoulder. it has been two day since i saw it. the doctor told me before it wasfungal skin condition. if i keep using head and shoulder, how long would it last before it is complete remove? i just use it today. i never try it before. i am scare of it spreading. i live in florida.
6 yrs ago I was in Caribbean and notice these spots on my chest and back and my guy said he had been getting them from birth. They say its not contagious I beg to differ if you are prone to fungal infections and you reuse towels, get back in same bedsheets you can spread it on yourself. Others may not be effected unless they are like you.  I didn't get it until meeting my guy. I came home and my daughter who already had eczema (skin dandruff) and bad scalp dandruff slept in my bed after I had been in it prior to doc visit. She developed it too.  

I went to derm and she prescribed me ketocanozale shampoo 2%. She said it was a fungus that can develop during extreme temps and excessive sweat.  Get wet, lather up and leave on for 5 minutes. After a week they were gone. I mailed my refill to my guy and he said it worked for him too after having it for 25 yrs.  She gave me enough refills and recommended I send him a bottle and use on my kid.  I travel to areas near equator frequently my guy lives in Caribbean and is a roofer.  He says he uses the shampoo regularly for past 6 yrs and it has not reappeared, he is still in Caribbean. I only used it the initial time.  

This year my city has experienced almost 30 days of temps over 100 degrees. I work outside and sweat excessively and they came back.  I still had shampoo but couldn't find it so I used monistat cream. I figured its a antifungal cream. Its working. I did learn I can buy the shampoo over the counter but its 1% so I will get some to go along with the monistat. I'm thinking I will have to keep it up for the rest of summer to prevent it spreading or coming back once gone I suppose we haven't had much break with these temps.  I am one prone to overabundance of dandruff and yeast. Which are both fungal. So I think this may be a life issue. So just from experience the ketocanozale shampoo works when used properly. Monistat seems to be working on the skin. Using twice a day after cleansing and drying the area. I'm doing that with rubbing alcohol. And someone mentioned diet change....eating plain yogurt high in probiotics have helped my other fungal issues less prevalant and not going into overkill on high carb candy.  Anytime I eat too many sweets my dandruff and yeast build.  And I don't mean just a bag of sweets its usually when I pig out at Valentines Day or Halloween. Well this is just my experience.  
i need to know a way to get rid of the white spot. i try everything. i am impatient. i even try head and shoulder intensive treatment and it make my face red. what should i do