WHITE SPOTS ON SKIN
A FEW YRS AGO I STARTED GETTING A FEW WHITE SPOTS ON MY LEGS NOW THEY ARE SPREADING TO MY THIGHTS AND FORE ARMS AND MORE ARE APPEARING.I'M AFRAID I'M LOSING MY PIGMENT ALTHOUGHT I DO GET IN TANNING BEDS IN THE SUMMER TIME ALTHOUGHT I DON;T ABUSE THE TANNING.IGET A TAN THEN GO ONCE OR TWICE A MONTH TO MAINTAIN MY TAN TIL COOL WEATHER SO COULD THIS BE A FUNGUS AND WHAT CAAN I DO TO HELP GET RID OF THESE SPOTS,THEY REALLY LOOK BAD WHEN I TAN BECAUSE THEY DON'T TAN AND REALLY SHOW UP.THEY DON'T ITCH OR FLAKE AND YOU CANT FEEL THEM THEY ARE FLAT WITH THE SKIN.
Actually, I think I know what your describing lyn. A kinda patchwork pattern of white splotches bordered by veins? I've seen people with that, but mine are small bb sized spots, no texture at all, and they become MORE apparent in the cold, and extend up to my upper thigh. Actually, sadly enough they seem to spread very slowly and are on my chest as well. I have asked a doctor about them, but I got a worse answer than you, something like "Don't worry about it". Thats all nice and well, but I hate explaining them to people who treat me like a leper. Oh well, could be worse, I could be a leper huh lol. I do believe that its just a pigment change for both of us, and we can't do much but deal with, but thanks for the info.

For white lesions of the skin the differentials would be pityriasis alba, tinea versicolor and vitiligo .

The cause of pityriasis alba is unknown , tinea vesicolor is a fungal infection , vitiligo has an autoimmune origin .

Pityriasis alba usually occurs in children and young adults and may have very fine scales in the center of the lesions.The lesion is usually poorly marginated. Tinea present as white lesions but on covered areas may be brown or reddish in color. Vitiligo usually occurs in the face, axillae and on the dorsal surface of the hands.The lesions of vitiligo is well demarcated .They may start as small patches and slowly spreads to new areas for months and years.

A dermatologist will be able to differentiate the lesions through a complete physical examination and diagnostic tests since most basis of diagnosis for these conditions is clinical.

For the mean time,you may avoid further tanning or long exposure to the sun until the condition has been diagnosed.
Just to add,

One of the more miscellaneous causes of white patches or leasions in the skin is postinflammatroy hypopigmentation. This is usually due to a previous insult to the skin like dermatitis,scarring processes and thermal burns.

Hypopigmentation may resolve and repigmentation follows depending on the severity of the previous injury.

This is just one differential that may be significant to note.

Have you had your consult already?

Do keep us posted.
I have just noticed these white spots on my legs and arms  (some the size of a pencil eraser but most are smaller)  It's winter and I'm not in the sun.  I have tried to research it on the web and they always talk about autoimmune disorders.  My grandmother had reuhmatoid arthritis and my mom has hashimotos.  does anyone think that that may be the cause of my spots?  
les, are the spots textured or raised? Or are they just pigment changes? Are they always visible, or is they're appearance random?
I have seen white circular  spot on my feet then gradually saw one on my upper and lower leg.  It's scarttered and not sure what caused it. TThey are about the size of a pencile point and do not itch or scratch. Please help its really frightening not knowing. I am planning to see the doctor but would like to hear what you think . Thank You
Anyone who have information or could help.
I AM BLACK AND OLDER,I BEEN NOTICED WHIT SPOTS ON SKIN LEGS BUT SPREAD TO THIGH AND ARM NOW , I AM WORRIED THAT IT WILL BE ON FACES, I SHOULD TO SEE DR.? BARBARA
i have had white spots for as long as i can remember...on my legs, feet, and stomach. i recently started investigating the condition and had a crack with selsun (not selsun blue). I have been using it for the past month and am starting to see some changes, with the patches decreasing in size.

most of the forums say to keep it on for around an hour then shower but i have been keeping it on as often as possible. Although exposing the skin to selsun for around 15 hours a day creates a burning sensation, i believe i'm seeing results.

i hope this will help someone.
OH and i also found before appling the selsun it is very helpful to scrup the top layer of the skin in the shower with a rough brush as this removes the dead skin and exposes the fungus!
im 16 and ive had these white spots for a while they are small bb looking spots they dont itch or bother me in anyway but my mom and a frnd of mine tell me its because i dont eat alot..can any1 tell me how 2 get rid of the white spots? tyvm!
Hello. I   have been getting white spots on my back. Just a few. I think they might be chickenpox scars and that might be it because they dont itch or anything. May be the same for you shreksb. Have you had chickenpox??
ya i ive gone thru tht already but these white spots i have ive had for more than a year
I have a six year old boy that started getting little dry white spots on his upper chest about one year ago but since then they have pread around his neck and all over his face. He tells me that they do not ich or hurt. Can anyone tell if this condition is curable or will it get worse.
Hi Was just wanting to know what is selsun and where do you get it and also the tee tree oil where do you get it?  thank you  In advance.
   Debbie
I too have tiny white dots on my arms and legs that stand out more when I get a tan in the summer.  It's not a dry skin condition but rather the absence of pigment.  I tried researching it on the web but only came up with virtiglio and autoimmune stuff.  I have hypothyroid disease and take
levothyroxine and was wondering if that has anything to do with it. No one in my family has it that I know of.  Is there anything that can help>
I try putting sunblock on my face so the couple that I get don't stand out if I keep the rest of the skin pale so the white specs don't stand out.  Any advise out there?
I too have the same condition, and also have your same throid problems and also take throid meds. Have you found any help for your white spots? They get worse for me in the summer.
I've had white spots on me for almost a year now. Started with one or two on my legs and thighs, but spread to shoulders/arms, butt, all areas of the leg, I have probably close to a hundred of them. They start out as a raised patch of bumps. If itched or irritated they become red. In a few days the red subsides and turn to a milky white. They do not necessarily itch, just at first. I've been to the derm and he prescribed a cream that hasn't helped at all. I haven't been tanning in close to six months, and I have found two new ones tonight and three new ones a few days ago. Although I was diagnosed with pityriasis alba, I am looking for what else it could be, so that I might find another treatment to rid me of these spots for good. I'm not an overly confident person, but my spots definitely make me feel insecure. :(

For a few years I have noticed that I had white, dry spots on my abdomen, chest, and lower part of my arm. They were not very noticable because I did not get a lot of sun and they would dissapear if I put shea butter on them daily. Last week I was in the sun and they became more noticable. My tan was uneven so I used a fake tanner and the spots became extremely noticable from the differece in skin color and they look a sort of cheetah pattern. How can I get rid of them?
I noticed white spots on my lower legs last summer as I got some clor with the sun. I have fair skin w/ freckles so I could have had these spots before but didn't notice until my skin got darker around them. They are flush with the skin, don't itch, and are smaller than a pencil eraser too. As I look closely, these spots seem to be 'taking over' the skin on my lower legs. I really think they have doubles since a year ago. I also notice several up and down my forearms. Being fair w/ uneven skin and freckles anyway, these spots aren't super noticable riht now. With summer coming, though, I remember how they almost illuminate to birght white as I get a little tan. I wish I could post apicture to see if this is what some of you are talking about. I think I will give the Selsun Blue method a shot....next see a dermatologist.

Does anyone know how long it takes to grow back pigment?