Dermatology Expert Forum
Wart Removed From Lower Lip - Scar?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Wart Removed From Lower Lip - Scar?

My doctor referred me to a dermatologist after what appeared to be a white, dry, slightly raised spot on my lower lip. The dermatologist used a scalpel to remove it and had it biopsied. The biopsy was negative and he indicated it was a wart. It has been about 10 days since he did the biopsy and I have a crater-like indentation in my lip where he did the cutting. It seemed that he cut deeper in the center of the small circle where he removed the spot. It is almost all healed  - the skin around the edges appears a little whitish/ puffy and has a small little whitish scab in the very center of the indentation when it dries out. I am very self conscious of this on my lip and am concerned that this will now be a scar. Can you help explain how well lips heal and if I can expect the depression (again, very noticeable to me at least) to become level with the surrounding skin. It is about the size of a pencil eraser. What can I do to make it appear natural? Is it because the wart was not completely removed?

I have been applying neosporin to it regularly, which seems to recreate a white like scab in the center. You expertise is appreciated. Thanks.
The lip generally heals quite well.  I suggest keeping the area mosit, as you're doing, and otherwise doing nothing for or to the area other than what you do regularly.  You can use a plain moisturizer like vaseline rather than an antibiotic.  Healing should take a few months at most.

In the unlikely event that you still have a mark there in 3 months, you should sho your dermatologist then.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff