Wart Treatment Gone Bad

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Wart Treatment Gone Bad

I think I have a wart on my thumb on part of the cuticle. I began treatment with an OTC wart removal liquid. The area turned red and began bleeding when I hit my hand. I washed the area and applied more wart removal liquid. Now the area is very hard and sore. When I push around the outside of the hardened area, pus comes out. Please advise.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? The presence of pus and pain suggests infection and warrants further evaluation by your doctor.  While wart removal is easily done with topical medicine, it is possible that the lesion was not  a wart and  could have infected.  It is best that you have this checked by your doctor for proper diagnosis. Direct clinical examination is important. Keep the area clean and dry and avoid further manipulation to prevent secondary infection. Antibiotic treatment is usually indicated. Take care and do keep us posted.