Wart on scalp!

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Wart on scalp!

Hi everyone!  I have had a small growth on my scalp for years, it never bothered me too much but I always wondered what caused it.  It's not noticeable because my hair covers it, it's never itched and I can brush over it.  I do have to be careful where I part my hair though and I'm sure it's getting bigger.  I asked my GP about it and he said it is a wart, and I could get it taken off easily but it would leave a small bald patch so I may be better off to leave it alone.  I am concerned it may get bigger and wonder if I should get it removed now, it's weird cos I've never had a wart anywhere else.  I've been told I could get it frozen or burnt off.  Has anyone any advice on this?  L
Tags: Warts
The growth that you are having on the scalp can be due to seborrheic keratosis or a wart. Seborrheic keratosis is a benign tumor of the skin and is not malignant. Warts are caused by HPV infection. A biopsy of the skin can be done to confirm the diagnosis.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thanks very much for your reply.  My GP looked at it and said it was a wart, HPV virus, although he didn't take a biopsy to confirm this.  
What do you think would be by best option? And what would be the best way to remove it?  Thanks again.
For small warts, several medications(like podophyllum resin, Podofilox, Trichloroacetic and bichloroacetic acids, Imiquimod 5% cream and interferons are available, which can be applied directly to the surface of the warts. Other treatment options include electrical cautery, surgical removal, Carbon dioxide laser treatment and electrodesiccation. Please discuss these treatment options with your dermatologist.

Warts are highly contagious and the virus can be passed also when the person is not having any active lesions. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and regards.

Will it leave a bald spot? If they freeze it off?
I had a wart on my scalp, close to the forehead.  My dermatologist removed the wart and cortarized it.  The hair was originally cut/dug out, but it grew back.
Thanks all.  I think it is probably too big for any of the medicated creams to work.  I will eventually just get it removed though (incase it grows)...and even if it does leave a small bald patch, my hair should cover it and perhaps it will grow back as Dalmanj's did!

Even though I have been told by my GP that the thing on my scalp is a wart I've never had a wart anywhere else, despite touching it loads of times, and it has been there for years!  I'll have to discuss the treatment options as I have only been offered to have it frozen/burnt off!

I went to the dermatologist this past Wednesday. He said I had Seborrheic keratosis. He said I can't it removed, but it might grow back. So I told I could with it, but now I think I changed my mind. My was so itchy and the skin around was itchy that the doctor gave me medicine to get rid of the itch. I was wondering how did your procedure go? Is the wart completely gone?
I also have scalp warts. I had one below my hairline that was removed but then another one grew in my hair. I found that using Head & Shoulders shampoo works pretty good on causing it to shrink, if not completely go away.
Interesting -- because I have a growth on my scalp and no doctor has been able to diagnose it.  But a generic version of head & shoulders is helping.  I dap it on and let it dry.  The top layer of skin peels and there seems to be a root to it like a wart.  I am going to persist with this and see if it goes away.

I have a feeling it may be related to cancer -- or a sign my immune system is not strong as I previously had cancer....as did another friend who had the same sort of growth on her scalp.

Anyone else with these growths also have or had cancer?
A few months ago I noticed I had a growth on my head.  It feels like it may be a wart.  I previously had breast cancer.
I too previously had breast cancer and just recently noticed a growth on my scalp.  I think it's a wart though I don't have any anywhere else.  I guess I'll keep on eye on it
Been there. My mother told me to rub castor oil on it. I think I did it morning & night, but at night for sure. Just realized it was gone one day. Have shared this with others, and they also had same success. I've used it on tag moles with same success. Just be faithful with it. It works.