Dermatology Expert Forum
Wart treatment cream

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Wart treatment cream

I once used a cream for warts on my hand that was not an acid or castic substance - it was expensive but I think I bought it over the counter. It was the only thing that worked, even after having the warts frozen off (they grew back). As I remember, it took a while but they went away. It was easy, painless and did not damage my skin. Any idea what it could have been? I can't remember the name.
Carry:

By FDA mandate, all wart medicines in the drugstore are identical in composition: salicylic acid.  The only difference is that some are creams, others pads, plasters, etc.  Wart treatment is frustrating and tedious, and there's no magic bullet.  Just keep in mind that eventually warts go away on their own.  If yours went away after putting on an OTC product, what you really saw was spontaneous resolution.

Good luck.

Dr. Rockoff
Thank you. I know what I used was not acid - maybe it was a prescription. Do you know of any wart medication that is not castic? What do you think about using tea tree oil on warts? Any track record for it working? I noticed on another message someone had sucess with this. Thanks. Carry
I don't know of any reliable Rx wart medications.  as for tea-tree oil, it's a cure-all recommended for everything but washing your car.  Safe, I suppose . . . .

Dr. R
There was a product that I used years ago call Vergo or Virgo.  It was a cream which worked very well.  In fact the reason I found this was I am looking for the cream for a wart on my son but have not been able to find it.  The pharmacist I have asked remember it but do not know how to get it.  I am sure however of the name, just not the spelling.
I think they stopped making Vergo years ago.  Dr. Rockoff
i have had this letter opener laying around the house for years-
embossed on it are the words "VERGO FOR WARTS"- i have always wondered what it meant. now i know!
I'm also looking for Vergo or Virgo. I used it many years ago and it worked well. It worked not only for me, but a family
member and an associate at my place of work.

>By FDA mandate, all wart medicines in the drugstore are
>identical in composition: salicylic acid.
I don't believe that is true at all. I don't believe that the
FDA is close-minded in that saliciliates are the only possible
remedies for removing warts.

>If yours went away after putting on an OTC product, what you
>really saw was spontaneous resolution.
You're doing a disservice to all readers here by
claiming a product doesn't work --- especially one that you
really don't have knowledge of.

I have the same problem as Lewis Woody, i.e., I'm looking for Vergo because my son has a wart on his foot.  I know this stuff works because I used it some 25 years ago.  A podiatrist at the time wanted me to go for weekly treatments to have him remove the wart (and money from my wallet), but a pharmacist friend told me to try the Vergo.  It worked very well.  All I've seen on the market is salicylic acid products.  If the FDA has "outlawed" the product, is it available from another country, say Canada?
A related discussion, vergo for warts was started.
A related discussion, Virgo Wart Remover was started.