Dermatology Expert Forum
Warts Spreading

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Warts Spreading
I had three warts removed by my doctor.  One was located on my right 3rd finger, the second was located near the inside of my left wrist and the third was on the side of my left hand.  All were very small.

I'm concern about spreading!   Can I spread Warts to other people?  Can I spread to other parts of my body, such as my Mouth and Genital area?  Are warts that spread from your hand to your genitals ( if it can ) look like genital warts or different?

Are there any precautions to exercise?  Is there any form of prevention?

No need for concern.  Although warts are caused by a virus, they do not spread by contact.  If they did, everyone who has warts--and there are a lot of people with warts--would be covered with them.

You should by all means have your warts treated.  A single liquid nitrogen freeze may well do the trick.  But spread elsewhere, to genitals or otherwise, is something you don't need to worry about.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
A related discussion, 'Warts do not spread by contact'... Really!? was started.