Warts vs. Cysts

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Warts vs. Cysts

About a year ago my son's doc said the two small bumps on his lower back were common warts.  She said to leave them alone and they would go away in a year or two.  During this past summer one disappeared.  This past week the other started to swell, was filled with a white substance and was "itchy".  I took him to the doc (not the same one) and he said it was a cyst & proceeded to scrape it off without cleaning the area or any type of numbing solution put on it......was this a wart or a cyst??????
Tags: Warts, Cyst, Back
It looks like a sebaceous cyst. Blocked sebaceous glands, swollen hair follicles and excessive testosterone production will cause cysts.

Generally no treatment is required but they become painful then it means they are infected, then surgical excision by traditional wide excision, minimal excision, and punch biopsy excision may be required.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.