Waxy spot on scalp

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Waxy spot on scalp

I HOPE you can help me. I have a greasy, waxy patch on one area of my scalp which I have had for over 2 years now. I have tried dozens of shampoos, vinegars rinses, bicarb, dishwashing liquid, changing pillowcases and even completely changing my hair colour. Nothing helps, it is so infuriating I am an inch away from shaving my head and buying a wig collection - seriously! I have searched this online and there are literally hundreds of posts with no answer! I have asked a few doctors but am too embarrassed to bring it up again as they look at me like I am either insane or like 'so what' but it really effects my appearance, particualry at work as I think I look permanently dirty. HELP!
I am an 18 year old female that was having the waxy hair crown problem. This problem just arose for me about a week and a half ago. I had no idea why my hair felt to waxy and why everything I had tried was not fixing it. I kept thinking I was over conditioning so I then stopped using conditioner as I washed my hair every night. As I'd wake up in the morning I still had the waxy problem so then I tired blow drying my hair every time after I got out the shower yet the problem was still there. It wasn't until today that I started to google this problem only to find that no one had a solution. My boyfriend explained to me that every time he had dandruff he would wash his hair with APPLE CIDER VINEGAR which he called "A miracle in a bottle!" He suggested that I try using it and so I did. The waxy junk came out with such ease. All you need to do it buy one bottle and massage it all throughout your DRY hair. LET IT SIT FOR 10 MINUTES BEFORE WASHING! After doing that take your shampoo of choice and wash the vinegar out of your hair and then wash it one more time with your shampoo of choice. I used Head & Shoulders. I hope that this works for anyone who tires it because it really did work for me. The only down side to using apple cider vinegar is that it does stink but with just a few washes your hair will eventually lose the smell! ENJOY! & GOOD LUCK!
Thanks. I will give it a good go, I had rinsed with vinegar before but never left it in my hair.  There are so many other posts on this website from people with the same porblem - the most popular treatment seems to be Suave shampoo and brown listerine so I will try that if the vinegar thing doesn't work...would love to know WHY tho!!!!

I have the same pro. I used many shampoos and didn't worked. finally i used APPLE CIDER VINEGAR and washed with Neutrogena T/Gel® Therapeutic Shampoo - Original Formula. It worked excellently. Hair became super silky and no more waxy spot.Thanks for every one for advice's.
If i were to use white vinegar instead of apple cider vinegar, do you think that woukd work as well? Im thinking we have the same problem! My hair looks like its just oily but when you touch it, it feels waxy and almost sticky! I hate it and I want to get rid of it ASAP!
I have found the solution! I tried vinegar.. Didnt work! It got a lot of the sticky weird stuff out but some was still there! today i was thinking, animal rescuers use Dawn dishwashing soap to remove oil from animal fur, why not try it on my hair? I did and IT WORKED!
Heres how i did it:
1) wash my scalp with some dish soap and rinse
2) use my normal shampoo and wash as normal
3) condition, this time instead of just conditioning the ends, i also put conditioner on the top where i had just used the dawn.

When my hair dried i noticed that i no longer had any waxy, sticky stuff in my hair! Im sooooo happy (:
I have the same problem and I've tried everything to get rid of it! I shower daily , used the vinegar-water solutions, massaging my scalp, nothing worked. then I tried something else, reallyyyy easy and works instantly! just bring one of the combs with really close teeth, after applying shampoo to your hair, while it still on, comb the spots with the sticky oily stuff, comb it all the way down , and it will go away instantly! just one thing, it may come back a few months later, but you can use the same method and get rid of it the same day :) hope this helps
This just happened to me today...actually overnight.  At first I thought I possibly didn't rinse out shampoo or something. Had not used any other hair products like hair spray or volume booster...nothing. After shampooing, rinsing & drying agan, it was still there!! I am 65 years old, and it has been very hot & humid in Ill. the last few days. Out of boredom I googled "sticky spot on scalp" and low and behold I see others have experiended this  wierd problem. I amgoing out to buy a fresh bottle of Apple Cider Vinegar & either Neutrogen T-Gel or Head & Shoulder. Since this is the first day, hoping to nip in the bud.  Thank goodness people share experiences :)
I suffered from a persistent, waxy build up on my scalp for some years. It got so bad a couple of years ago that I just couldn't clean it from my scalp. It was particularly bad above my ears. I would scratch my scalp and be left with a thick, greasy wax that was a white/yellow colour under my nail. It was horrible. It made my hair look terrible - lank and greasy even when it was freshly washed. I tried natural remedies which I picked up from forums such as this, including washing my hair with vinegar, bicarbonate soda powder mixed with Johnson's baby shampoo, and lemon juice. This gave me some temporary relief but I smelt like a fish and chip shop! I was at my wits endand was just about to spend a significant amount of money visiting a private dermatologist when I walked into a pharmacy and noticed a shelf of 'medicated' shampoos. By this point I had worked out from the internet that I was probably suffering from seborrheic dermatitis. I bought every medicated shampoo for oily dandruff on that shelf and alternated them every day, massaging thoroughly into the scalp and sometimes doing two lots (I have to wash my hair every day). I have been able to control the condition ever since. My hair is a lot better than it used to be - not perfect but a LOT better. The ones I buy are:

Alphosyl
Oilatum
Ceanel
Polytar

Discovering these shampoos changed my life overnight. They can dry your hair out so use a good conditioner on the tips. I wish I had found out how to treat this problem earlier as I suffered for years, totally baffled about what I was suffering from and how to treat it. This is why I am posting this information now on any forum where people are talking about 'waxy dandruff'.
The waxy stuff is sebum. Yeasts or fungus metabolize the sebum creating inflammation.  Inflammation increases sebum formation.  Vicious cycle. Detergents and coal tar work to remove the sebum, but do little for the inflammation. Hydrocortisone cream used intermittently can work on the inflammation. I'm trying Go-Jo mechanic hand washing cream and feel it works better. It is for removing heavy grease from the hands. Mechanics use it many times daily. Wax is a form of heavy grease.  Leave it on and work it in, rinse and finish with the mildest shampoo you can find. Something is causing the inflammation the starts this spiral.  Shampoos, conditioners, scratching, excess sweating, who knows.  Change what you use, if it gets worse change again.  Go mild.  Dermititis means inflamed skin.  Try to figure out what is causing the underlying inflammation.  It takes awhile to get better and will probably return if the skin gets inflamed again.  Go mild.
Sorry, I should have included this in my prior post.  Vinegar is fine but only partially helps the problem.  It is anti fungal because of its low pH, acetic acid.  Use hot tub pH strips to compare apple cider to white vinegar which brings me to my next point.  Vinegar; acetic acid; is a natural defoliant of skin cells which part of the waxy stuff is composed of.  I prefer to go heavy into battle and lighten up during sleep.  I just did a Go-Jo saturation for 30 minutes and no wax left.  Then a little touchup on sore spots with 10% hydrocortisone cream.  Scalp is feeling soothed.
Waxy is not the problem, it armor plates your scalp so nothing else gets through.  Inflammation stimulates the sebaceous glands to secrete more sebum.  First, eliminate the sebum/dead skin cells with vinegar or salicylic acid shamoo, and then coal tar or Go-Jo hand cleaner cream (NAPA) and leave it on for 30 minutes working it around, rinse, then mild shampoo; NutraGena(sp), baby shampoo;  rinse, then hydrocortisone 10% cream on the open descaled sore spots and work it in.  Now it can get into your scalp and begin to lessen the inflammation which is the root cause.  If a shampoo or conditioner or anything else causes your scalp to suddenly get worse or stop improving give it to that neighbor or coworker you don't like.  Seriously, once you begin to get results go mild or infrequent with shampoos.  Remember it is about inflammation.  Something is pissing off your scalp; sweating, hot tubs, hats, the sun, fancy shampoos with lots of stuff in them, conditioners also.  Shorter hair, some sun is all good.  Bad stuff only grows in the dark.  Open and airy is always good for scalps and life.
Thank you! Most concise analyzation of the problem I've read in the TWO AND A HALF YEARS I've been dealing with the problem! I have tried it all but not as methodically as you' ve suggested. Even tried Goo Gone! I know this is an old post, but just wanted you to know your effort in posting is appreciated. I'm wondering if you still have this grunge conquered.