Dermatology Expert Forum
Weird Acne that doesn't go away

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Weird Acne that doesn't go away

Doc,

I am a 29 year old guy who takes vitamins, eats healthy, and I work out regularly. I get occasional regular breakouts but if I do, I pop the pimples and they go away.

Recently, I have been getting pimples that don't pop and keep producing a clear juice which dries yellow on the skin. They will not go away no matter what I do. I practice Brazilian jiu-jitsu so I wonder if it has something to do with the heat in the room. I take a shower in the morning and always right after practice. I use non-comodonic (sp?) face face wash and lotion. I am pretty sure they aren't staph or weird stuff from the mats.... I am almost 30, this should not be happening, what are they and what can I do?

Could be adult acne.  Could be folliculitis from heat and sweat.  Pimples only produce clear juice if you squeeze them, and that always keeps things from healing.  So please leave them alone and have a doctor check them out before you decide that these aren't regular pimples.  They sound pretty regular to me.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
Claymatix,

I'm a 26 year old guy and do all those things too (except jiujitsu), and have the exact same problem.  I know what a normal pimple looks like, and these things are not normal pimples.

I only get them on my face, and they sometimes start as a white or red bump.  Usually I notice them when they are already leaking, but if not they quickly rupture and leak out a clear-yellowish fluit for 24-48 hours.   If the fluid gets a chance to dry it creates a big yellow scab over the blister.   Once its done leaking (24-48 hours after it first appeard) it turns into a red sore and dissapears completely 7 to 10 days later.

I've been to several dermatologists who can't figure out what it is and have put me on anti-biotics, and taken all kinds of cultures which all come back negative for virus or bacteria.  A biopsy diagnosed it to be acne rosacea, but so far the treatment the dermatologist gave me has not helped at all, and I think may be making it worse.   The pathologists report said there was chronic and accute swealling in and around (sweat gland) apparatus...

If you find a solution I'd love to know what you did.
Dr Rockoff,

Thanks for responding. I want you to know that I have never had adult acne like this. This just started in the last two or three months. Also, I never really had bad acne when I was in puberty.

Razor854,

You are on the money. That is exactly what I have and I don't know what the hell to do about it. I haven't been to a doctor yet but I was thinking about going to a dermatologist here in NYC.

I heard this kind of acne is from hormone levels being off or being elevated. That's why they don't die and keep making juice.

I'll let you know what works,
C
After doing some research I think it is Seborrheic Dermatitis...

I think you can get it on your face too. Here is a website that talked about it. Apparently, someone's baby had this problem and it sounds pretty similar to ours.

http://life.familyeducation.com/baby/skin/41732.html

It says you can treat it with really good dandruff shampoo like Nizoral.
Claymatix,

I don't want to discourage you from doing research, but I've had this for a few years and have spent a lot of time trying to diagnose it on the internet without much luck.  I haven't had much luck with doctors either though.  Hopefully you do figure it out!

I hope you don't mind me asking but do you have any metal plates or screws from broken bones?  I do and was thinking it could be an allergic reaction to those plates.

Razor
Did you try the Nizoral?  Any luck?
A related discussion, Could I be alergic (allergic) to my acne medicine was started.