Weird bump on lip

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Weird bump on lip

I am hoping you can answer this question I do not want to waist the dr's time with an appointment for what seems a small problem. I keep getting this bump in the same spot on my upper lip. I have had cold sores and know this is not a cold sore. I have not burned, bit or done anything to cause a bump on my lip. It does not hurt only feels a little tight and is not discolored in anyway. It has been coming and going for several months. Any thoughts on what this could be?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
__
Hi.

You have not mentioned of any ulcerations in the area so this may not be aphthous ulcer also. Aphthous ulcers may be small bumps but some may be swollen to larger ones affecting the lips, the walls of the mouth and the tongue. Differentials for bumps on the lip may be a mucocele, canker sores and cold sores. At this point, we may rule out the latter two.

Mucoceles are skin colored and they may be a little soft or fluctuant. For some, they may be able to bite on it. They are not painful but they may last for quite sometime. Mucoceles are benign and do not need further intervention. They may be a little pinkish but they should not be discolored or painful. In the presence of pain ,ulceration and swelling of nearby areas, it is necessary that you seek immediate consult.

Refrain from drinking hot beverages and do not bite or pick on the area.
Thank you very much for the information. It was beginning to annoy me but since it did not have any pain and was not discolored or anything like that it seemed silly to go to the dr's but I wanted to make sure it was not something I should have checked. Now I know not to worry. So thanks again for taking the time to respond!