Weird oily hair - started suddenly!

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Weird oily hair - started suddenly!

I have always had semi oily hair. More oily at the roots and dry ends. Just recently I have had a new problem. My hair is long (middle of my back) and the crown and underneath in the back are this weird greasy. It just started one day. I have not used anything new. Same things I always use. I have tried washing my hair in everything to get rid of it and nothing works. I used laundry soap, dish soap, tea tree oil shampoo, clarifying shampoos, vinegar, bakingsoda, lemon juice, and that just a few!! I even bought a new hair brush and pillows for my bed. I have switched everything I could think of. It almost feels like conditioner is left in my hair. So just in case I stopped using that. I have no idea whats going on, but it won't come out. I am not an unhealthy person. I shower everyday sometimes twice a day. I'm so frustrated!! I did notice that on a lot of these forums that several say they used Nice and Easy to color their hair. I use that too. I have used it for about two years now. Same color everytime. Could this have something to do with it??
Me too!  It started suddenly about 3 weeks ago.  I've mentioned it to a couple people, and they are skeptical and assume I'm just not rinsing well enough.  It's stupid.  I've had to change my hair style to just pulling it back in a barret so that the effect is less noticable.  I colored my hair in June with a box product, but I don't recall the brand.  I don't know why it would create a problem 2 months later, but I can't think of anything else that is any different.  I'm a little annoyed that no other doctor on this site has posted anything at all since 2005.  Obviously, something is happening.  If anyone who posted previously is STILL having success with anything you tried (longer than just one or two days) please let us know.
I am another person experiencing the same problem! It started about a month ago now, for no reason at all! Nothing had changed about my diet or lifestyle - I don't even dye my hair! Now, just after I get out of the shower, when I come to dry my hair, the underneath bits by my scalp seem like ive puts loads of product on them and continue to look "wet" (and greasy) even if I have been drying my hair with a hairdryer. I have to use dry shampoo just after I get out of the shower and dry my hair! My hair is also looking generally worse than ususal. I have tried using natural hair products from a UK company called "Lush" (Jumping Juniper shampoo) which has helped the problem a litle, but has by no means fixed it! Hope we get some answers - glad to know others are having similar problems.
Okay ladies.  I've been about 3 weeks straight with absolutely no conditioner in my hair.  I just shampoo once a day (same thing I've used for years) and style as usual.  The spot seems to be gone, or at least nearly gone.  I can still feel it just a little because I'm looking for it.  But it's not really visible like it was.  My hair is pretty dry, though.  I'm going to give it another week and then see what happens when I try to start using conditioner again.  I still don't know what may have caused it - hormones, chemicals, etc.  

I hope this helps someone.  I'll update again with any more developments.
There is no medical condition as such which causes oiliness of the hair. I would suggest you to clean your hair frequently with a mild shampoo(you can use the ones for oily hair) and don’t apply any conditioner on the hair. Also you can shampoo twice during each wash and apply shampoo on the scalp without piling the hair on top.

I hope that helps. Take care and regards.
Ladies - I posted this on another thread, but you might find it helpful...

I totally know what you mean. I am astonished that Doctors have let this condition go un-named, unresearched, and undiagnosed for so long. LOOK AROUND DOCTORS - there are literally HUNDREDS of people all experiencing the SAME condition ... what i like to refer to as "sticky scalp". It IS a medical condition as far as I'm concerned because everyone who complains of this problem has exactly the SAME symptoms..... i.e....1) sudden onset 2) the oil is ONLY at the CROWN of the head 3) the sebum is thick, waxy, and "sap-like" in nature and is RESISTANT to ALL traditional remedies such as shampoo and soap...... are we all crazy?!?

Dr. Bhupinder Kaur.... you should research this and maybe become the poineer in diagnosing this condition!

I have a theory on why this happens and what this is.... I believe it is a fungal infection of the scalp. The reason I think this is that the waxy sebum has a sort of "fruity" smell or "sweet and sour" smell. That just so happens to be the same smell that happens under your fingernails when you get finger nail fungus. Anyone who wears tips or acrylics knows what smell I am talking about.  Anyway, the cure for this is using a number of antifungal remedies altogether while keeping the scalp as dry as possible. You can buy anti-fungal/medicated shampoos at CVS that contain zinc or sulfides which fight fungus and yeasts......take acidopholis pills......soak your head in apple cider vinegar every day before you shower.  All this will cure the infection in time (1-2 weeks), however it will not degrease the stubborn sticky sebum that is already there... for this try original palmolive..... don't just shampoo.... put the palmolive on the crown of your head, lather with water, and let it sit for 10-15 minutes before you shower. After the first 2-3 washes the stickiness should be gone.... but continue with the anti-fungal treatment.... I promise it will go away.... mine lasted for 3 mths before i figured this out, but it's goine.... last but not least, use a clarifying shampoo like pantene clarifying.
GOOD LUCK!!!!!
I am so glad to know I am not the only one with this problem.  It is very embarrassing!  I am a teacher, and before lunch, my hair looks like it hasn't been washed in a week!  I'm going to try the Listerine method and see if it works for me.  I wondered if this problem is related to high cholesterol and the medication I take for it, as well as hormones.  I am 55 and have had pimples for the first time in almost 40 years!  I have also had several surgeries in the past few years including a gall bladder removal.

Thank you all for commenting.  I feel better it already, but my hair still feels disgusting!
Wow!! I've been having this exact same problem for about 6 weeks. I live in Ojai, Ca..I think it's something to do with the water personally..Or my hot water heater has too many sedaments in it. The reason I believe this is because my friend who lived in a house with a water softener wasn't having any issues. Then she moved to her new house without a softner. Suddenly..Bam she has the same problem. Then her hot water heater went out. It needed to be replaced. Well after that her hair went back to normal...I'm going to drain mine  today see if there's a ton of ick inside and re-fill then see what happens..
I FOUND A CURE!!!!  So I posted a thread on this website about a week ago.  I titled it different, but it is about the EXACT SAME problem!!
My "grease spot" was apparent as soon as I got out of the shower.  Therefore, I thought that whatever it was, it just wasn't washing out.  So, last Saturday I took a shower and used Head & Shoulders.  I scrubbed and scrubbed until my hands ached.  I rinsed.  Then I put on THREE more applications of shampoo, each time scrubbing until my fingers hurt.  I rinsed each time, skipped any conditioner and got out.  I let my hair air dry.  To my HORRIFFIC dissappointment, my ENTIRE HEAD looked as if I dipped it in oil as it began to dry.  I was so upset, I cried.  I threw it in a ponytail and headed down to our local beauty supply house.  (Here it is called Sally's Beauty Supply.  I think its a franchise).  The clerks were all amazed and dumbfounded about the "grease spot" but said that by "overwashing" my hair, I put my oil glands in my scalp into overdrive, causing this new abundance of oil!!!  With that being said, I bought some "dry shampoo".  It is a powder-like spray that is used in between shampooings.  You spray it on any oily or greasy spots, brush it through and BOOM, your hair looks clean, dry, and smells good.  I also bout "Generic Brand" Tea Tree Shampoo there.  (It is really called 'Generic Brand' and its generic for Paul Mitchell's Tea Tree Shampoo equivelant)  
As soon as I got home, I sprayed the dry shampoo and it completely transformed my oil head into clean, healthy looking hair.
I wasn't convinced that it was cured, so I didn't wash it the next day.  I figured I needed to let my natural oils regulate somewhat.  I DID wash my hair on Monday.  I washed with the Tea Tree stuff and figured, if I "overwashed all the natural oils out last time"... maybe I SHOULD condition a little to add moisture.  So I conditioned a little, and guess what??  As soon as I blow dried it, everything looked perfect!!!  I am proud to say that the spot has been gone SIX whole days now!  
Not sure what causes it, but with my remedy, I think it has something to do with the balance of the oils in our scalp getting out of whack somehow.

I hope this helps all of you!!!!  GOOD LUCK!!!!
Good, I am not the only one this is happening too.  I thought I was crazy!!  About 3 weeks ago I laid out in the sun, took a shower and noticed the top of my scalp was oily feeling and sticky.  I thought I may have gotten some of my sun tan oil in my hair during the day or I didn't rinse the conditioner out good enough.  The next day, I washed and rinsed really good and noticed the same thing was still there.  I thought ok, maybe it is the shampoo I was using so bought Pantene since I have always loved that.  SAME THING.  I tried using bar soap, dish soap and putting baking soda & lemon juice in my shampoo but nothing has changed.  I have never had oily hair in my life unless I don't wash it for 2 days.  I don't know what to do and it is driving me crazy.  It is embarassing and feels so nasty & sticky.  I do color my hair, but have never had this side effect.  I have been reading everyone's posts but don't know the correct answer or what has caused this.  I am going to try the apple cider vinegar & palmolive tonight and pray it works.  Does anyone know what is going on?
I've recently started having this problem. I am a college student and in the process of getting my teaching degree. I am also an employee at Chick-fil-A. I thought that this spot came about from washing too much, using conditioner, then I thought maybe my water wasn't hot enough. I then changed everything that I used. I color my hair, but that didn't seem to have any effect to the "spot". I have no idea how to get rid of it, nothing is working for me. I've tried some of the remedies on here.... I have never had oily hair, so this is really FREAKING me out! I can't look like a greasy mop at work and in the schools. What do I do?
I have a similar problem. I'm 17 now, but my oily hair first started when i was in grade 8. I had (and still do have) long hair, and my Crown was SO oily, I HAD to wash my hair everyday. And also the oil from my hair was getting on my face and making my severe acne even worse...gross right? But with that said i was a teenager and hormones were changing and such. But then I went on accutane for my severe acne...and guess what...my oily hair went away too (granted because accutane prevents glands from producing sebum)! It was great, i could wash my hair every second day and not have to worry about the oil getting all over my face! After accutane the oily hair seemed to be under control still, but then a few years later my acne came back, as well as the oily hair. So i went back on accutane at 17 for a second round, and once again, great hair came back. Unfortunately this time when i finished the accutane...my oily hair was back within 3 days of being off it. My skin is still perfectly fine, but my hair is awful! By the end of the day my hair feels heavy and like theres that kinda wet oily feeling weighing it down. I've tried the tea tree oil shampoo, head and shoulders, clarifying and one by biolage for oily hair. None of them have worked. I used one by joico that was for oily hair, THIS WAS THE ONLY shampoo that EVER worked for me, i could wash my scalp with it once and i could wash my hair every second day...unfortunately...THEY STOPPED MAKING IT!! =(  and i dont dye my hair.  Hairdressers have been no help...i've also been told alot of shampoo companies are getting away from making shampoo's for oily hair =(

It definitely has to do with an over production of sebum, and i agree that it needs to be looked into. There has to be a reason why oil glands are over producing in that area! I;m going to try a dry shampoo for touchups during the day or whatever. And try a home remedy too. Hopefully that will help.
I'm glad to see i'm not the only one dealing with this though
I have been having this sticky scalp problem for almost a year now, off and on.  I hadn't had any trouble with it since December until last week, I woke up with the sticky spot again.  No one believes me about it.  I have no idea what is causing this or what to do about it.  I do know this though, it is driving me INSANE!  I am upset to hear a doctor say that this is not a medical condition and we should just shampoo more or less or whatever.  I would pay someone a million dollars for the answer to this condition.
I'm so glad i'm not alone with the oily hair, i have this now for at least 6 years, i'm 25 years and as far as i remember it started after i colored my hair the first time (about 6 years ago), and after that i also bleached  it ones and highlidet it for a couple times.
I have searched for so many tips online and also listen to hairdressers as my sister in law is one, but nothing helps, don't know if my scalp is to dry or to oily all i know is that my hair is very oily, some people say its from oily scalp others say its comes from dry scalp so i tried both cure's, put baby oil or olive oil on the scalp and also tried apple cidder vineger and lemon juice for rinsing it maybe sometimes feels like it works for a bit but then its all oily again, and i work as a receptionist in front of many people it fell's like the are just looking at my hair, and probably think she never wasches her hair, but believe me i do!!!
Anyways just had to chair my thoughts, hope anyone can find a cure, and if so please let me know, its so descusting!!!
And i also tried many different shampos over the years, like head n sholders, salsun blu, pantene, baby schampo and may more!! please give me some advice!!
Just so you all know...

Over washing your hair and rubbing at your scalp too much while you shampoo can cause your scalp to produce extra oils. If this problem has caused you to over wash your hair, the over washing might just make it worse.

I don't know how to solve this ever-evasive issue, but here's a tip if you're getting tired of washing your hair over and over before you go out.

Talcom powder or baby powder in your hair can get rid of oiliness. If you're going out and don't have time to shower, but hate the oiliness in your hair it's a nice tip :)
I have been having the same problem but I feel it is because of my Synthroid. Its really annoying and I have tried all different kinds of shampoo and conditioner and nothing seems to work. I hate it. I wish there was a Synthroid shampoo and conditioner lol. I constantly have to put my up because it looks sooo nasty. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

Nichole
I have been having this awful problem for the last few weeks. i have tried everything from baking soda to vinegar. Straight after i wash my hair, even when its still drying it feels sticky and oily and looks like i havnt washed it in a week! Ive been applying baby powder to my hair when its dry, which helps get rid of the look but it still feels horrible and when i wash my hair again im back to square one!
Its the most fustrating thing ever! im 19, and been eating healthy and doing lots of excercise. i havnt changed any products!
HELP!
I have this problem too. I haven't been able to get rid of it (I'll try all your remedies) but ...

I HAVE AN IDEA OF WHAT IT MIGHT BE: Pine Resin

The polinisation of pines takes place in spring, and, two years later, in autumn, the formed seeds fall from the pines. Pine Resin molecule is not an OIL, and that's why none of the traditional cleaners work.

This also explains why we all have the problem in the upper part of our heads...

pines in your area?
Thank you so much for taking the time to post the remedy to this awful problem.  Mine started about 2 weeks ago at the crown and spread through my part.  I only just googled it today and realised I wasn't alone.  So I headed to the shop and got my palmolive, lemon, apple cider vinegar and tea tree shampoo and to my amazement, after applying  all these products my hair is soft, silky and oil free! (probably a little damaged but its worth it!)
I also read on another post to use listerine so I threw a bit of that in the mix too, I was desperate...
Anyhow, thanks heaps!
Foreva Greatful...Trudie
I am having the same problem...  I'm 26 and I've never had oily hair.  One day the crown of my head looked really greasy after I blew it dry.  This problem comes and goes and there is no rhyme or reason to it.  How have doctors not figured this out yet??
It goes out when you wash it with alcohol, just be very careful with your eyes... but it worked for me perfectly!!

(about the listerine... it's main ingredient is alcohol, so it should work to, but less effectively)
I am 31 and all of a sudden I got oily hair but so did my 7 year old daughter.  I know it is from swimming in Chlorine, the body is an amazing machine and produces oil to repair damaged hair.  So if your hair is oily it is probably just over protecting your hair.  I read all of these comments and then did this ( it probably wasn't all necessary but I was desperate!)
1.  Washed scalp with degreasing dish soap ( Dawn, Yellow stuff) 3 times.  I think this did it but just to be sure....
2. rinsed my hair with mouth wash ( the alcohol in it helps to remove oil.)
3. rinsed with apple cider vinegar
4. used green tea oil shampoo from Sally Beauty supply.  I didn't know that Green Tea Oil is the code word for Oily Hair.  Again just try the dish soap first! My hair is Softer than EVER.  
OIL GONE!!!!  It wasn't a medical condition just my hair trying to repair itself from the damage of Chlorine.  Remember that our body's natural instinct is to help us!  
I also used regular rubbing alcohol before reading the posts here and it worked in my hair. It has only be 1 day but so far so good.
My daughter is 11 years old and just started having this problem about a week ago. I too thought she must not be rinsing out all the shampoo and conditioner. I ended up washing her hair myself and it made it worse. It was very sticky.
I think this is definitly related to hormones. She is hitting puberty very quickly. It seems to me that most of the people complaining of this problem are female. The ages range from Preteen to a woman in her 40's with a lot in their 20's. These are all ages of significant hormonal changes. My daughter is obviously not on birth control pills or any other medication, we do not live in a particularly piney area, she has no gall bladder problems, she has never used hair color, she is a vegetarian but has been for a year. There definitely needs to be research done as to what is causing this in so many people.
I will say I did rinse her hair with the apple cider vinegar and then washed with green orginal palmolive and it took 75% of the oilyness away after first wash. Still felt a little sticky but hopefully it will be better after a few more washes. At least there is some hope.
I posted earlier about my daughter's oily, sticky hair. She washed her hair with the apple cider vinegar and then the original, green palmolive twice which helped tremendously. She then just washed with the palmolive once a day for a week. It is almost perfect now. A little dry, but that is better than what it was. Still pretty sure this is hormones and will eventually pass. Until then we will be washing that spot with palmolive every other day :)
I had the same problem last week. After reading many suggestions, I ended up washing my hair with mouth wash, and then using an organic based green tea shampoo, it helped about 70%. Then the next time I used the mouth wash again and used tea tree oil. (That was Sunday). My hair is now back to normal. :)
I wish I knew the cause of it, but apparently it's just random.

Nothing has changed with hair products, detergents, diet. Etc.
ive had
I have had this problem for 3 years. I am 27 now, and I used to blame hormones, stress, etc.

I moved to Korea in August of 2008 - and a week after arriving this waxiness occurred. I blamed the stress of the move...but it never got better. I blamed the water at my apartment - a friend showered there and she said she thought her hair felt different. I came back home to Canada a year later, and it never changed. The only time that it did lessen was when I was backpacking for 4 months in Asia - and now that I thnk of it, I had been taking acidopholus pills that time, so maybe that helps balance the body out. But as soon as I came home, whamo. Same sappy feeling. It's more than oil.

But then why has it been going on for so long? I am going to try some of these remedies and see what happens, although I am fairly skeptical. Among other products, I have purchased Aveda clarifying shampoo which worked the first time, but then every time after it hasn't. I have purchased ph balancing shampoos and they too work the first couple of times and I get so elated, and then on the 3rd or 4th try, back to the same waxy, sticky, mess. It's embarassing for sure. Friends and family don't get it, and say I'm too superficial. Today I am skipping class because I am just so tired of being hopeful and optimistic and then to be shot down by it being waxier than ever. I am becoming more and more introverted and reclusive bc of it.

I'm going out to buy some of these home remedies today. I hope they work for longer than a week.

kinda getting annoyingly depressed about this. grrr.
just washed with vinegar and palmolive. The waxiness looks like it has lessened, but it's still there. i can feel it and when I run my hands through my hair i can feel it on my fingers afterwards.
I highly suggest the mouth wash, it may sound absolutely bizaar, but it really does work. I noticed a difference the first time I tried it. Just pour a couple capfulls onto the crown area and let it sit for a few minutes, then add some shampoo and mix it with the rest of your hair. Then just use regular conditioner. Massage your scalp with your finger tips and not your nails, if you scratch your scalp, it can cause extra bacteria around the area. Good luck and I really hope this works for you.
I've got the same problem, starting overnight before christmas 2010. After finding this forum I tried Tea tree shampoo as suggested and it worked very well. After a couple of months of using the Tea tree and an oily root conditioner I thought it was gone and reverted back to my trusty Pantene shampoo & conditioner (which I have used forever) It came back instantly, I could feel it as I was drying my hair. It seems to be a trigger for my scalp. I have changed to Sunsilk and no longer suffer this problem. Perhaps I had developed some sort of weird reaction from using the same shampoo over a long period of time.
Not sure iof this helps but it has helped me.
I am 43, had the same problem with a sudden oily, dirty looking patch at the crown of my hair. I had colored my hair about a month before and was using herbal essences hello hydration. I had noticed my hair was looking really bad. Wirey and just unmanagable, it wouldn't even lay in the right direction. I thought maybe hormones??? when I read some of the posts here I decided to try some of the remedies..didn't have any listerine in the house but did have some alcohol and dish soap. Remarkable...my old hair is back. Thought that I wouldn't be able to comb it without conditioner...I was wrong, didn't need any it is smooth and shiny again ---it had to be build up....I have kept using the dish soap. I am afraid to go back.
I just wanted to comment on my particular situation.  I too have never had an oily scalp - usually dry rather.  While honeymooning in Maui this past week, I suddenly had the same symptoms described here - extreme oily scalp at the crown.  I thought it was the soft water but upon my return to San Diego and two washings, still had the problem 4 days later.  The only thing it could be in my situation is a) swimming briefly in a chlorinated pool 2 days prior or b) scuba diving in the ocean the day the symptoms came on.  I did not rinse the salt water until about 6 hours had passed.  That evening the oiliness set in.  Could be the fungus suggested by others or wedding stress.  Sure scared me that this could be permanent after reading these posts.  

I did the Palmolive/vinegar/lemon juice/listerine/T-Gel/Conditioner routine one time and it is gone, totally back to normal. I did notice my scalp is red near the top, rear - maybe a sunburn but more likely another symptom of whatever fungus is attacking my scalp.  Hopefully its gone for good.

Anyone try to foot fungus creams that say "do not apply to scalp"? Just curious...
I have had this problem close to 3 years.  After I have washed my hair and it is dried either air or by hair dryer it feels like someone has poured baby oil in my hair close to the scalp at its worst.  I started using Tea Tree by Paul Mitchell once a week and that would take care of it but now really doesn't help...I have gone without putting conditioner on my hair but it doesn't help.  I travel and thought at first it was water and so many of things posted on here but its not.  I have long hair (up above mid back) and I am hypothyroid and 39.  Also what is strange is that it is about an inch down from the middle of my head and is never on top its underneath the layers of my hair and only on my right side.  Never on my left or in the back.  When my hair is colored it doesnt come back until about 2 weeks.  The fungal stuff makes sense and i am going to try these things.  I hope it works.  I am so happy to hear that I am not crazy and other people are having the same issues but what causes it if it is fungal?  Strange.
I took the advice here and mixed baking soda in my shampoo, then rinsed with vinegar.  Definitely helps a lot, but has not solved the problem completely and still has me concerned about the cause.  The dermatologist I talked to said to have tests done to check the function of my thyroid.  Anyone else hear that?  I'm going in this week for tests.
Help! I just showered tonight getting ready for a party! I started blowdrying my hair and when I reached the crown I noticed m hair was greasy, sticky, and oily..like it never looked dry.. I was supposed to go with my hubby to a party and made him go alone. It seemed like I didn't wash out my conditioner enough. I am a model and I worked with a hairdresser yesterday..I was blaming him until I read this blog. I instinctively used Palmolive..it looks bad still. I'll try a claryfying shampoo tomorrow. I feel like crying. I look really gross. Now that I think of it I noticed this on my daughter very recently and assumed she didn't rinse her hair properly..she's only 8. But her hair looks fine now. I'm very sad and feel ugly. I promise to come back here and post my updates.. The wonderful people on here are so helpful.

by greasysue, Apr 05, 2011 08:29AM
Ok so It has been three days...the baby powder was a great idea..it brought hair back to normal looking so I could go out in public. This is only temporary though.. So I went to the derm...who is a very reputable one in my community..he diagnosed it!! It's Seborrhea- a harmless yeast fungus that causes increased oil production. What brings it on is apparently random. It's not contagious. He gave me cicloprox shampoo 1% and I am happy to say I am 90% back to normal. I have to use it 3-4 times a week and use fingertips to massage it into scalp and condition as usual. Ask your doc for this!
I've had this same problem for a month now, started out on a small section on the back of my scalp and has gotten progressively worse.  I've read several blogs concerning this problem, and it seems that many point to the problem being caused by a minor fungal infection.  The best self-treatment is to use a shampoo that contains both/either sulfide or zinc - so I've read.  I made a trip to CVS and picked out Head and Shoulders: Clinical Strength.  My hair is nearly dry and so far (knock on wood) there are no signs of the former oily spots.  There are other shampoo options too, this is just what I went with.  I hope this helps and good luck to you all!
I FOUND A SOLUTION!!!!
i had the same problem. Sudden appearance of greasy oily hair on the crown area.. And no matter how much i tried washing it and with 4 different types of shampoos, it would not go. i had this once a year ago, i washed it with Johnson's shampoo and it went. However, this time when the greasiness appeared i tried Johnson's shampoo and it dint help. I put egg white on my hair and some of the greasiness went and some still remained. then i decided to try one last thing and then give up. I used henna mixed with beetroot juice and black tea. I used to use this earlier to color my hair. i thought i could help this time because henna dries your hair. I put it on, left it for 4-5 hours. washed it with water alone and no shampoo. After i dried my hair with fingers crossed, to my surprise the grease was completely gone! My hair was entirely clean and soft and shiny as usual! I dint want to shampoo my hair the next day out of fear. So, 2 days later i shampooed it with Johnson's shampoo and did not use any conditioner. My hair is still clean and clear. I am so thankful that the problem went away. I still dnt know wat caused it. Although i think it could be over sweating that might have caused the scalp to become oily since I've been livin in a very hot country for a month with temperatures that go upto 44 degree Celsius. Anyway, it is just an assumption. i understand what you all must be going through because i felt the same for 2 weeks. So, when i found my solution, i thought i must tell you all to try. all the best and I hope it helps everyone!
Vinegar worked for me!
Exactly the same thing with me too! I bought some tea tree shampoo (organic) and coal tar shampoo. Literally soaked the tea tree in oily patch and left on for an hour and repeated 3 more times. Washed with coal tar and then tea tree again and its gone!! Yay. Hope it does not return. Good luck
I have the same problem and I've tried everything to get rid of it! I shower daily , used the vinegar-water solutions, massaging my scalp, nothing worked. then I tried something else, reallyyyy easy and works instantly! just bring one of the combs with really close teeth, after applying shampoo to your hair, while it still on, comb the spots with the sticky oily stuff, comb it all the way down , and it will go away instantly! just one thing, it may come back a few months later, but you can use the same method and get rid of it the same day :) hope this helps
Hi, my daughter is a very healthy 9yr old and I think is going through this exact thing.  This came on very suddenly 2 days ago.  I am going to try the Apple cider Vineger tonight and a clarifying shampoo.  Hopefully this helps, but I am wondering how your daughter is doing now.  I would like to know what to expect and how often to treat.  You said that you were washing once a week with dish soap.  How are things going and is there anything else I should be trying or considering?  Any feedback is very much appreiated.
Hi I have exactly the same problem :( it has made me a bit depressed. I don't suppose any of you are on antibiotics...? Mine started about a month into travelling Asia and the only thing I can think of that may be causing it is my malaria tablets, Doxycycline.
Another afflicted person!  :(  I noticed my head looking "waxy" around the crown immediately after using Vive Nutri Shine or whatever it's called.  Not sure if it was related or not, but right after that I noticed the grossness!  As everyone else did too, I just thought that I didn't wash my conditioner out thoroughly (although I NEVER use conditioner at the crown anyway), but being that that was 10 days ago, clearly that wasn't it... I noticed while examining my head this weekend that my scalp looked VERY shiny, pretty much immediately after washing it.  So that indicated to me that my scalp glands were clearly in overdrive.  So I tried Neutrogena Anti-residue shampoo yesterday followed by brown Listerine, as suggested, which seemed to make it a LITTLE better, but didn't cure it.  Then this morning I washed with Aussie "Clean" shampoo and followed with the Listerine again, but already my head is getting greasy :(  Maybe I should try the Palmolive?  I noticed some people that said they used Nizoral, but I don't think my issue is fungal as I don't have any other symptoms aside to the greasy scalp/hair (no dandruff or flakes, no redness, and no evidence of my skin being oily).  I'm not sure where to go from here!  Anyone have any updates??
I have the same issue. It started a few days ago and nothing in my diet, shampoo, conditioner, medications, have changed. It's driving me insane because my hair feels nasty which in turn makes me feel nasty and dirty. I've tried the dawn and mouthwash to no avail. I'll be going to Sally's beauty supply store tomorrow in search of this green tea shampoo. On the bright side my hair smells fresh and my scalp feels tingly after washing with mouthwash. I really hope this changes quickly because these pony tail hairstyles have got to go. I also tried to blame stress but my stress level is the same as always. I wish there were a diagnosis for this and treatment outside of these off the wall remedies because I was skeptical of putting mouthwash in my hair. Good thing my hair hasn't fallen off but it's stick oily.
I have had this problem a few times and it seems to happen when I take flax seed oil pills or the oil directly. I dont know why it happens when I take the flax seed oil pills but I do know that that is when the hair on the crown of my head gets oily and washing does not change it. I stop taking the flax seed oil pills and about 4 or 5 days later or so, the oily hair goes away. The question now is, why does flax seed oil make the crown of your hair uncleanably oily lol
Hey guys i know what you're going through because it happened to me a few times. Maybe try using a deep cleansing shampoo like the treseme one wash your hair like a hairstylist would at a salon. That rly helped me and try changing your shampoo because if you keep using the same shampoo you'll get a build up of it in your hair which causes that oily feeling..
hi there - I started having this exact same problem in May - that's when I first noticed it. it started off gradual and then got worse, to the point where nothing seems to work. I had some success with a small bit of Nizoral anti-fungal shampoo twice a week - it seemed to work - I am using a few drops and massaging it right into my scalp and behind my ears, down the sides of my face, and on the back of my neck. I let it sit there for a few minutes then wash it out and use my regular shampoo and conditioner. I really do t know what's going on with my scalp as I've always always had beautiful thick healthy hair, but I'm getting tested by my MD to look at whether I have a high dose of androgen in my body - also see if my hormone levels are normal. I'm a competitive athlete, so hoping its something I can fix without taking away from my athletic ability. I started taking a lot of vitamins for hair too. Biotin (2000 mg per day) Also Prairie Natural's Hair-Force Vitamin B supplements, Vitamin C (1000 mg) Vitamin E caps (400 di) and Lysine - all these will assist with healthy hair growth. it seems the problem lies within in the excessive sebum coming from the sebaceous glands in the scalp so hopefully my blood work tests will find out why so I can get my hair back to normal. I also had acrylic nails for the very first time in May (when this started happening) I am getting them removed now in case it is an allergic reaction to whatever is in the acrylics - (process of elimination) With so many of us having this exact same problem in various age groups it seems weird to say its hormonal, it almost seems like an infectious epidemic of some sort - all I know is that I'm getting tested - I will keep u all posted.
So I had the Acrylic Nails removed and already my fingers feel ten times better - thoufgh they look horrid - there is definately fungus under 3 of the fingernails - I'm putting a very strong anti-fungel cream under all the nails twice a day - however I wonder since this fungus was inside my fingernails if it had spread to my scalp through morning hair routimes - shower, combing, styling. I had my MD do some blood work to see if this weird hair thing is related to fungal infection or hormones (androgen?). In the meantime I have found a half decent cure - I do the Nizoral with Apple Cider Vinegar twice a week - First the Nizoral, leave set for 2-3 minutes and attacks the sebum glands, effectively cleaning the scalp - then the Apple Cider Vinegar which restores the PH balance to the hair, then lastly my regular conditioner for damaged hair since the Cider Vinnegar leaves my hair very dry. This works really well and hair is shiny and no grease and can be styled. The inbetween days that i don't use this combo is something I found which is Excellent - Nioxin - I sue level 3 for dyed or permed hair - I just started using it and OH Wow!!! My hair has never felt or looked better - super volume and bounce - and oh yeah - No Grease!!! I'm using the Nioxin 3 Shampoo, Conditioner, leave in Spray, and also the Voluminizer (which is also a leave-in spray). My hair looks freakn' fabulous - like when I was in my twenties!!!! I will update you all once the blood work comes in or if I see a huge improvement now that the Acrylic Nails have been removed.
Hi I am a 16 year old female and I am experiencing the same weird oily scalp problem as everybody in this discussion.

My hair history:
-I have always lived in a Hot/Humid/Tropical Climate.
-I have a little acne- normal for a teenager.
-I have a very healthy diet and I exercise often.
-I have never had any medical conditions.
-I am not taking any medication at the moment
-I Wash my hair every 2 days.
-I have  NEVER highlighted or dyed my hair.
-I have NEVER worn Acrylic nails
-Previously used Herbal Essences Shampoo and conditioner for a very long time. Never had this problem.
-About 1 month ago I started using Pantene shampoo my hair was normal at first but when I was about half way through the 1st separate Shampoo and Conditioner Pantene bottle I noticed these oily CLUMPS.
-Everybody's description of their problem is the same as mine.
-Now it is very noticeable when I have my hair down so I wear it up.

What have I done:
I have made no drastic changes to my hair care routine yet.
-I have tried washing it thoroughly with different shampoo and Conditioner NO CHANGE
-Tried just leaving it for about a week NO CHANGE

Next step:
-Going to a hair salon to get my hair washed and blowed dried and slightly trimmed professionally, I dont think this will really make a difference since I can do pretty much the same thing at home, but going to try it since I need to get it cut anyway.  

Conclusion/theory
I have not done as much as some as you on here to my hair to try and get rid of it since I have to wear my hair up for school anyway so nobody notices the problem. Therefore I don't have a cure or any advice on what has worked for me. I am not an expert

What most people think this is triggered by:
-Fungal infection
-Chemicals in the shampoo and/or conditioner
-Over production of sebum/oil by the oil glands in our scalp
-Hormones
-Acrylic nails
-Other hair issues eg dandruff

Seeing as I and a few other people here have never worn acrylic nails I do not think it is to do with them. Since I am a teenager my first thought was that it was triggered by hormones however seeing as the people that have commented are not all teenagers I do not think it is triggered by hormones.
I also thought it was to do with overproduction of oil/sebum however this natural hair oil should come of easily with shampoo like it normally does.
I think that it is either to do with chemicals in the product or that it is some sort of fungal infection.

If I have any luck I will post it up. Sorry for this long post hopefully it is slightly informative.
I have the exact same issue that most all have here, and am going to try what I have on hand this morning and purchase some Listerine, and clarifying shampoo later today.  I'm using Clear Scalp & Hair Therapy-Complete Care Anti Dandruff shampoo, and regular vinegar this morning, and will let you know the results.
hi iv had this for 2 days my scalp feels hot also iv just massaged pure tea tree oil into my scalp and so far it feels better. have you used nice and easy hair dye recently there seems to be a conection. suzi,
TRY BABY SHAMPOO!!!!!!

Same problem BUT NOT on the crown.  My greasy/waxy patches appear either side of behind my ears, sometimes only one side, but sometimes both :- (((  Started in 2010.

Before thinking of looking on the internet for answers I thought I’d try some pure tea tree oil as this had helped previous skin complaints… however, all it did was strip my hair of its natural oils and therefore increased the sebum production leaving my hair greasier than ever!!!

After suffering intermittently for nearly 3 years from this extremely frustrating complaint I found myself last night looking for a solution and I came across this discussion.  I read it all (some skim read) and seeing as I’d already tried the tea tree oil I therefore ignored the suggestions of using bar/dish soap, way too harsh.  I wasn’t adverse to using vinegar or baking soda or possibly even the brown bottle Listerine BUT I knew I had a bottle of Johnson’s baby shampoo in my cupboard as I use it to clean my make-up brushes.  So, today, this morning I gave it a go and skeptically I thought I’d still have at least a somewhat waxy patch, but no, it was all gone :- ))))))  It didn’t lather up that great (like most other shampoos) whilst in the shower, but it did rinse out great.  Usually when I shampoo my hair starts to get tuggy and straw-like when it comes to the rinsing stage and I prefer not to use conditioners as I have greasy fine hair in the first place!  Now, with the baby shampoo, I think I can cope with the lack of lather for the outcome of once again beautifully shiny, grease-patch free hair.  It blow dried better too, much more softer.

I think that this condition of ours is not so much a condition (medically) but more of a complaint, which I personally think is down to today’s chemical shampoo ingredients… I bet they didn’t suffer from this in the olden days.
The same thing has happened to me, thick grease in my hair only from the crown of my head, I noticed it on Wednesday after coming back from the swimming pool, didn't think much of it at first, just though maybe for the first time ever I had not washed out the shampoo properly, I have been using head and shoulders 2 in 1 shampoo and conditioner.
Washed my hair again on the Thursday morning and if anything it felt like the grease was spreading. I then decided to rely on trusty Google and found this forum, after seeing that it could be the start of a fungus infection I decided to see my doctors, and got an appointment for that afternoon.
Doc says it is probably a slight fungus infection and has prescribed Nizoral 2% shampoo, the active ingredient is Ketoconazole which is an anti fungal agent, side point is that it also helps thicken hair. Doc has said to wash my hair everyday with the stuff for the first week and then gradually less after that. Will let you know how it goes but I might be too busy washing my hair :p of yeh I'm 21, female, have never worn fake nails, and from the UK.
No, I've never used over the counter colors on my hair.  This first happened last January, and with the Listerine and Suave Clarifying shampoo it cleared right up, but here it is October and it's back.  
Everything I've read points to a hormonal imbalance.  I'm peri-menopausal, so I'll go with that theory.  I first had this problem last January, and my hair was totally normal until a couple weeks ago when it started again.  When I use the Listerine and Suave Clarifying shampoo, it clears it up.
This too has happened to me intermittently since 2009 (right after coloring my hair with Nice and Easy, but not every time-only occasionally). I self treated with baking soda.. I'd put the soda all over the dry sticky hair the night before and combed it in really well, then washed it out in the morning, but also washed with a paste of water and baking soda.  That worked after a few days of the same routine.  

This most recent bout didn't respond to the baking soda.   I tried dish soap as someone suggested.   That didn't work for me.  Then I got to thinking... GOO GONE.   I read the package it said non-toxic so I gave that a try and I got wonderful results.  Soft sweet smelling hair after one use.  It did not irritate my scalp at all.  I left it on for maybe 5 minutes then just to be sure I washed with dish soap, to make sure I could get it all out.

I've got the same issue, except it seems a little bit worse... all of my hair is sticky, especially the under portions of it. It forms together in thick, hard columns that feel almost like someone used a whole bottle of styling wax on each one. To make it more confusing, I can't get them brushed through. A friend and I spent two hours trying to run a brush through my hair, and we couldn't get it to go. The columns of sticky nastiness cause all of my hair to form together into one giant, matted, nasty dreadlock (I have long, thick, curly hair).

The residue it leaves on my hands is extremely nasty, and takes forever just to get off my hands. What's really weird though is that if you "dig" into the center of each column with your fingernails, you get this weird brown stuff that's the same color and consistency as peanut butter. It has no smell, and I've not ever dyed my hair.

A friend of mine set me up with some weird herbal shampoo stuff, and it manages to get it all washed out. However, within 12 hours, it's back in full force!

Outside of shaving my head, I've got no clue how to get rid of this issue.
Hi, okay so i am a high school student, and obviously in high school, you kinda wanna look your best at all times. You know everyone straightens their hair and what not. I have straightened my hair like every other day for years and it always comes out looking amazing. But all of a sudden like a few days ago i noticed when i blow drying my hair, the roots get extremely oily. I like to blow dry my hair in layers that way its easier to get each piece dry before using an iron. I have been very discouraged to wear my hair down because of the oiliness. What do you suggest i do without spending hundreds of dollars?