Welts on scalp
My husband gets welts that are quite large on his scalp. He is bald so we notice them, otherwise there is no pain, itching or sensitivity of any kind. They range in size from quarter to 3" in diameter. They last for as little as a few hours up to 5-6 days. Almost like filling up with fluid slowly. Then they go away on their own. They are pretty much the same firmness of the unaffected scalp, in other words not puffy or soft. What can this be?
This kind of rash which comes and goes can be due to hives. Hives (medically known as urticaria) are red, itchy, raised areas of skin that appear in varying shapes and sizes. They have a tendency to change size rapidly and to move around, disappearing in one place and reappearing in other places, often in a matter of hours.
So please get this possibility evaluated.

Till then, give some antihistaminic like Benadryl and apply some calamine lotion. If the symptoms persist then please get an evaluation done by a dermatologist. He may need topical and oral steroids.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.