Welts

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Welts

This was the second night that I woke up scratching to find a few welts on some of the uncovered parts of my body such as my arms, legs and (only one or two welts there) chest.  The welts are of irregular shape, varying size, and skin colored.  They itch but not terribly, just enough to wake me up.  They disappear in the morning.  My boyfriend, who sleeps with me, is untouched by whatever is causing this.  I sleep next to the wall and thought that there might be bugs lurking there somewhere because the welts appear on the parts of my body closer to it.  Problem is I can't seem to find anything.  I went online to look at different bug bites but couldn't find anything helpful.  Also, it might be useful to know that we have a cat.
Does anyone know what could be causing these welts?  Is it definitely some sort of bug?
Many thanks.
P.S.  The two nights were NOT consecutive.  The first time this happened was maybe a week ago.
Sounds like bugs. An allergy would not restrict itself to the nighttime. Just had another thought. Could it be your sheets or your nightgown? That is more likely to cause a rash, however, so I guess that is not possible.