What can I do?
My son is 27 and has Down syndrome.  He has had a fungal infection in the crotch area for years and we treat it with many prescription creams and just had him on Diflucin twice.  It is not better.  It is cut and flaky and it itches and my husband and I are at our wit's end trying to get help for him. We do have an appointment with a dermatologist but not for 2 weeks.  Do you think this is fungus or do Down syndrome males have this?  It's hard to get a doctor's opinion because my son is embarrassed about showing it. We have to make him and that is horrible to have to do that.  Help!
Jock itch (tinea cruris) is a common fungal infection that affects the skin of your inner thighs, buttocks and genitals. Jock itch causes an itchy, red, often ring-shaped rash in these warm, moist areas of your body.
It has nothing to do with Dow's syndrome.It is caused by fungi called dermatophytes.
The signs and symptoms of jock itch may include:
Itching and redness in your groin, including your genitals, inner thighs, buttocks and anal area ,burning sensation in affected areas,flaking, peeling or cracking skin in your groin. Walking or exercising may aggravate the rash and worsen your signs and symptoms.
your doctor may suggest first using an over-the-counter antifungal ointment, lotion, powder or spray. Most infections respond well to these topical agents:
Terbinafine (Lamisil AT)
Naftifine (Naftin)
Miconazole (Micatin, Monistat-Derm)
Clotrimazole (Lotrimin AF)
ref:http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/jock-itch/DS00490/DSECTION=treatments%2Dand%2Ddrugs
It helps to keep the groin area dry and wearing loose comfortable clothing to prevent frequent recurrences.