What causes black spots on tips of toe nails?
In the past month or so I've noticed that one at least 4 toes, I have little black or dark grey spots that grow under the tip of the toe nail.  When you clip the toe nail it's gone and reappears after the toe nail has grown back. It's not something that starts underneath the toe nail.  I've been to a foot dr and he seems to be baffled by it, he said it's not fungus and thinks its dried blood under the nail from my shoes??  I've searched online and found that this could be related to a form of cancer or kidney problem...how worried should I be?  I called my dermatologist but they are closed till Friday, if anyone could help me understandt his, or ease my worries I would greatley appreciate it.

Thank you!
These dark lines can be due to can be due to longitudinal melanonychia (presence of a pigmented stripe, usually brown or black, along the length of the nail bed in darker-skinned individuals, splinter hemorrhages or Beau’s lines (they are horizontal lines of darkened cells and depression).Without examination, it is difficult confirming a diagnosis and so I would suggest a dermatologist’s evaluation.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.