What causes me to break out in cold weather and itch real bad

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

i break out in the cold. i get hives and itch real bad what is this and how can i fix it. the docters think im crazy everyone thinks im crazy. any time i get cold i break out in huge hives and they itch so bad. when i went to the doc and waited in the warm waiting room it went away then when i go out side it comes back. even hanging my elbow out the window while driving sets it off. what is this??
  • Itchy Hands (2 replies):
    What causes hands to itch when in contact with cold wa...[more]
  • In cold weather (1 replies):
    Why do I breakout in hives while out in the cold wx?
  • cold contact reaction (5 replies):
    have being experiencing itching on my palms and feet any...[more]
  • Itchy itchy (3 replies):
    Dear Friends-- I thought I would post my problem here, ...[more]
  • burning (1 replies):
    when the weather gets colder in the fall,my face starts ...[more]
Cold urticaria is a disorder characterized by the rapid onset of itchiness, redness and swelling of the skin within minutes after exposure to a cold stimulus.

Patients typically experience symptoms while outside on cold, windy or rainy days. Fatalities following swimming have been reported and those affected should be warned that swimming or having a cold bath could be dangerous.

Diagnosis can be made by an ice-cube test. Place an ice cube on your forearm for 4 minutes and observe the area for 10 minutes afterwards. If you have cold urticaria, the area will become itchy and then swell approximately 2 minutes after removing the ice cube.

Treatment is avoiding exposure to cold stimuli, including swimming or bathing in cold water. You can take antihistaminics like zyrtec or tegamet. You should enroll with Medic Alert and always carry Epi pen (injectable adrenaline) along with you.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.